Jumping back into home recording and live sound

Hi.

Early 2000s I did a lot of studio recording and live sound. I've been out of the loop for a while but looking at getting back into it. Specifically, I want to able to record small bands as well as mix live sound for small gigs in small venues (portable).

I'm wondering if there is some sort of hardware/software combination which will allow me to do both? I have always been a Logic user and for recording/production that would still be my first choice but I wondered if there is some sort of live sound system that could be controlled with an iPad or similar that would also double as ADC/DAC for use with Logic or similar DAW.

Perhaps I'm looking for something that doesn't exist?

I'm alright for mics and FOH/monitoring.

All price brackets considered but when it comes down to it I'm not going to be buying the most expensive option!

Cheers if anyone can point me in the right direction.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Check out the behringer xr18.  Sounds good and very easy to mix live while recording separate tracks via usb.    You could spend more on the Midas built version but the behr is perfectly fine imo.   
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    John_P said:
    Check out the behringer xr18.  Sounds good and very easy to mix live while recording separate tracks via usb.    You could spend more on the Midas built version but the behr is perfectly fine imo.   
    Thanks, I'll check that out. Are Behringer and Midas part of the same of the company now? The two products look identical but I can't help but remember that Behringer used to make TERRIBLE equipment back when.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Yes the current Behringer stuff is unbelievably good for the money. If you want something that's simpler to operate check out the Zoom L-20.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Presonus Studio Live - check those out too...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

I do a lot of live recordings and live sound and the weapon of choice is an Allan and Heath QU16 which is a fully fledged digital mixer but records in 24 bit \ 48K to multitrack on a USB pen key. Basically you connect the band up live, mix the gig but mean while the QU records every channel to the USB pen key or harddrtive. Then you just loads the 18 wavs into Logic or Reaper and mix it. Done many a live recording like this and it's effortless 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    spark240 said:
    Presonus Studio Live - check those out too...
    The Studiolive 16.0.2 looks like a very complete package. The remote iPad control seems very useful (like on the AH QU series) and the included DAW sounds pretty decent too. Might be worth a punt before buying the latest Logic. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Danny1969 said:

I do a lot of live recordings and live sound and the weapon of choice is an Allan and Heath QU16 which is a fully fledged digital mixer but records in 24 bit \ 48K to multitrack on a USB pen key. Basically you connect the band up live, mix the gig but mean while the QU records every channel to the USB pen key or harddrtive. Then you just loads the 18 wavs into Logic or Reaper and mix it. Done many a live recording like this and it's effortless 
    I used an AH Qu Pac when they were fairly new and the simplicity of it blew me away. Truly brilliant kit and I don't doubt the QU16 would also be very impressive. Top notch sound quality as always from AH. I think I need to do a comparison between this and the Presonus offerings at the same price point because both look like terrific kit.
    I should probably add that if the mixer doubles as a multichannel interface to a Mac DAW that would be ideal. I looked at some of the Soundcraft offerings and, while their live capabilities seemed very good, the lower end models only offered a stereo interface which put me off. The 24io model has multitrack capabilities but I can't see me needing more than 16ch of input and 6 out to be honest so the 24 was overkill.

Amazing how much choice there is now and how affordable it has all become. Incredible.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Simon_M said:
    I should probably add that if the mixer doubles as a multichannel interface to a Mac DAW that would be ideal. I looked at some of the Soundcraft offerings and, while their live capabilities seemed very good, the lower end models only offered a stereo interface which put me off. The 24io model has multitrack capabilities but I can't see me needing more than 16ch of input and 6 out to be honest so the 24 was overkill.

Amazing how much choice there is now and how affordable it has all become. Incredible.
    Yeah the QU not only doubles as an ASIO interface but the moving faders act as a HUI control surface .... so you can mix via the QU's faders rather than mixing with a mouse 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Soundcraft MTK 22 might fit the bill if you prefer a less digital workflow.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I get good use from my zoom R16, bit flimsy looking, but very cheap-works off batteries, has 8 xlr inputs, 2 built in mics, and works as a mackie control surface--not bad for about 200 quid, and someone here was selling an RCF digital mixer recently--which is a bit similar to the behringer, but in some ways better--IMO.
  • Simon_M said:

The 12 chann mixer comes as a standard, with 2 in 2 out and the mtk which is 1r in 12 out.  Ideal if you don't need overloads of inputs at once.

Get mine tomorrow.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2019
    Simon_M said:

Pre Sonus bundled DAW software 'Studio One' is excellent ...even the Artist version you get Free when you buy their interfaces etc.

I don't use a PreSonus mixer. I use Allen Heath SQ6 which is good example of what's happening with trickle down effect from brands flagship desk into their cheaper offerings.  I wonder when the replacement for the X32 will arrive as it's getting on a bit now and was a game changer when first released.

You've picked a great time to jump back into the game..
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I use a Yamaha TF-Rack for live sound, and record 32-channels of digital audio into Logic.

I'm really happy with it, although I'd probably get the TF-1 or TF-3 if I bought again so I have a control surface (I originally bought the mixer to sit on stage with me and I mix from my iPad mounted on my mic stand).

R.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    I just sold an RCF M18 which was great but I did miss me knobs! I picked up a Presonus Studiolive from Rossyamaha on here and it’s amazing! Was able to upgrade to the full version of Studio One 4 Pro for £130 thanks to another tip on here. 

Early indications are that the mixer and software are the dogs bollocks and will do exactly what you are talking about doing. 

• John_P said:
    Great solution for live and recording covers both with 1 desk, apparently the Midas version has better pre-amps but that is the ONLY difference, you can even use the same app to control both. I have the XR18 not the MR18 so cant comment on sound difference myself.
  • Also use Reaper for your DAW and spend all that extra cash on something usefull.