Today is one week since I clipped a parked car...

What's Hot
One week ago I made an error in angle judgement and hit a car when parking. Minor paint damage, and nothing to my car.  Reallllly annoyed at myself, I rushed as a car was behind me (which actually turned off...sigh) 

I left a note saying what I did, and to call me... With my phone number clearly written.  It was under one of the wipers, blocking the drivers view. 

So, no one has rang. How odd. Phone is pretty much always on, but nothing. It has left my confused. 

Also, side note. People have been soooo impressed with my honesty for leaving a note, does it make me a good guy, or them a twat? The latter .. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    I think you did the right thing. Really hope it works out OK and someone doesn't take advantage of your honesty; from what you say, it may be they have chosen to ignore it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    But that's what I can't work out... Why would someone ignore it?

I took photos etc to be safe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Maybe they have no insurance or MoT and don't want to be found out. Or maybe the scratch was already there and they can't work out why some random bloke left his name and number on the windscreen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    You did the right thing. I’d have done the same. 

One possible scenario is that a third party removed the note before the driver returned.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    Perdix said:
    Maybe they have no insurance or MoT and don't want to be found out. Or maybe the scratch was already there and they can't work out why some random bloke left his name and number on the windscreen.
    Iamnobody said:

One possible scenario is that a third party removed the note before the driver returned.
    This and this. You've done the right thing, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Or maybe the owner just doesn't care? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Iamnobody said:

Shhhhhhhhush ..... you said you weren’t going to tell anyone
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    joeyowen said:
    But that's what I can't work out... Why would someone ignore it?

I took photos etc to be safe. 
    Someone reversed into my parked car and left a note. The damage was annoying, but to a panel that already had minor marks from someone who did similar but without leaving a note. The car is 18 years old (although in otherwise good condition), so I didn't bother calling the guy up. (I did appreciate his note though.)
    @goldtop ; out of interest, why not ring and say thanks, but don't worry about it?
  • joeyowen said:
    @goldtop ; out of interest, why not ring and say thanks, but don't worry about it?
    Coz you might be a serial killer for all he knows.

Bye!

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

Or maybe the owner just doesn't care? 

I was sitting in a van (I worked for a car/van hire company) at Leicester Forest East services, reading either the NME or Melody Maker when a bloke parking his pickup misjudged things and hit the back of my van hard enough to disturb my reading.

I got out and walked to the back of the van (which had a number of dents and scratches already) and then to the driver's side window of the pickup, which he sheepishly wound down. He cheered up when I said "to be honest, I have no idea which of those dents is yours, don't worry about it".
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    A cheeky driver hit someones car and pretended to write them a note as they had an audience we feel sorry for the owner of the damaged vehicle
    30reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    joeyowen said:
    Good question. I carried the piece of paper around in the car for a week or so, thinking I would, but eventually somehow my interest in it ran out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Some things just aren't worth caring that much about. I probably wouldn't bother to phone either.

I'd just let the other person worry about whether I would for weeks, as karma for being careless :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    joeyowen said:
    One week ago I made an error in angle judgement and hit a car when parking. Minor paint damage, and nothing to my car.  Reallllly annoyed at myself, I rushed as a car was behind me (which actually turned off...sigh) 

I left a note saying what I did, and to call me... With my phone number clearly written.  It was under one of the wipers, blocking the drivers view. 

So, no one has rang. How odd. Phone is pretty much always on, but nothing. It has left my confused. 

Also, side note. People have been soooo impressed with my honesty for leaving a note, does it make me a good guy, or them a twat? The latter .. 
    Don't count your chickens .. :-)

The owner may have arranged to get it repaired and then get in contact to send you the Bill .... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    joeyowen said:

Don't count your chickens .. :-)

The owner may have arranged to get it repaired and then get in contact to send you the Bill .... ;-)
    True  which has crossed my mind, and will totally accept. (bet the timing sucks though...)
    ICBM said:
    Some things just aren't worth caring that much about. I probably wouldn't bother to phone either.

I'd just let the other person worry about whether I would for weeks, as karma for being careless :).
    Ha, well it's working 
    joeyowen said:
    In my defence, I clearly let them know that on the note 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    joeyowen said:
    joeyowen said:
    In my defence, I clearly let them know that on the note 
    and what are the chances of two serial killers parking next to each other?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Been meaning to get in touch mate. Bad news....damage looked minor but my car is a write off. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RMJ said:
    Been meaning to get in touch mate. Bad news....damage looked minor but my car is a write off. 
    Didn't look like it was worth much....

(although in serious, it looked mint condition...well before,, you know... me)