New Studio Monitors - which?

So - one of my existing monitors is dong odd things, so need to replace them.

Its a small room, and placement isnt that versatile so I need front facing ports, of completely sealed units (which rules out any Genelecs).  I tend to go for 5" monitors (I have a Yamaha HS8 sub I use for playback, so total low end extension isnt necessary) - though Im open to 4" up to 6.5" if they suit.

Always the first I look at are Adam A5x's - and they are on the cards.  I dont want to go lower/cheaper than those though.  Neumann KH120s are too much for me at £1000 the pair really - though Ive tucked them away  in my brain just in case.

So - looking at options priced between the 2.  Thats between about £500 and £900 the pair.  Ive had a brief look (on paper specs)  at the Neumann KH80s, the Focal Shape 50s, and the Dynaudio LDY-5s.  So any comparisons between those speakers, or other worthwhile suggestions please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited January 2019
    I've a pair of KH120s for 5 years now. Exceptional and a joy to listen to music on too. I've not heard the specific others you mention but Focals and Dynaudio are mostly safe bets. 
    But I'd buy the Neumanns if you can, worth spending that bit more for years of enjoyment.
  • Itrs why the KH80s are on the list.  4" driver v the 5 on the KH120, not such a bass response at 56 hz v 52 (though 4 hz shouldn't be too noticeable) and lower power rating (90/50 v 120/70w and 104db v 118db max)- but apart from that should be very similar to the KH120s.  The 80s come in at the same price as the Focals and Dynaudio - ie £800 a pair mark.
  • Genelec 1029s or others of that period have front facing ports. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    KH80 or 120 seem hard to beat IMO.

I really like the way they have grilles on the tweeters and woofers...alot of this gear is used in home studios where kids may appear...

I actually saw a pair of KH120 going for a great price on Black Friday and nearly bought them (even though I've got too many monitors already!)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    KH120's are worth spending the extra on.

KH80's have much less bottom end- don't just go on specs, go listen to them.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2019
    One of my favourite little monitors were the JBL LSR25P with 5" woofer.
    The KH120 seems like a modern version of them.
    I like the way Neumann still use Class A/B amps so when they say 50w continuous to woofer and tweeter they mean it.  More reliable too.  My JBL's are 20 years old and I can't kill them

I'd agree with above, get the bigger ones.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited January 2019
    There's a pair of Adams 7x in the classifieds at the moment at the lower end of your budget (no affiliation).  On my radar as I may be after a pair of monitors soon
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    These spiked my interest, but I haven't been able to find out a great deal about them, except that they do ship to the UK

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139077/abacus-c-box-3-desktop-monitors
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    I just love the Genelecs, having tried many, they just sounded great to me.

I own the 8010 and 8020
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020