Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Going Veggie ?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    the only redeeming element to going vegetative is that you can still eat chips - with everything!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

One of the biggest issues facing the human race is that we don't think enough about what we eat. As countries become more developed and affluent, we eat too much, we waste too much, we produce food too intensely without enough regard to the ecosystems affected by the production.

Arguably the biggest protagonist in this is meat production.

Until we get a grip on what and how much we put down our throats, we will continue to be fat, and continue to deplete resources.

61% of England's adults are obese: that is obscene and within our control for most people. The problem (put simply) is that we don't understand enough about how to nourish ourselves. The responsibility for that ultimately lies with each and every one of us.

Yes, the food industry pushes crap food at us 24/7, but we aren't babies and we don't have to eat this crap.

I'm pretty sure sugar is at least as big of a culprit for obesity as meat. You can still eat that as a vegan/veggie can't you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Snap said:

One of the biggest issues facing the human race is that we don't think enough about what we eat. As countries become more developed and affluent, we eat too much, we waste too much, we produce food too intensely without enough regard to the ecosystems affected by the production.

Until we get a grip on what and how much we put down our throats, we will continue to be fat, and continue to deplete resources.

61% of England's adults are obese: that is obscene and within our control for most people. The problem (put simply) is that we don't understand enough about how to nourish ourselves. The responsibility for that ultimately lies with each and every one of us.

Yes, the food industry pushes crap food at us 24/7, but we aren't babies and we don't have to eat this crap.

Some good points there, @Snap - my pet gripe is the sheer amount of food that must be wasted in restaurants.  They always put far too much food on my plate, so that I'm often over-faced, and half of it goes in the bin.

We often go out for a curry with a couple who cannot bring themselves to leave a crumb of food on the plate, and look at what we're leaving with that "but kids are starving around the world!" look.  

Time for smaller portions!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    Nitefly said:
    Snap said:

Some good points there, @Snap - my pet gripe is the sheer amount of food that must be wasted in restaurants.  They always put far too much food on my plate, so that I'm often over-faced, and half of it goes in the bin.

We often go out for a curry with a couple who cannot bring themselves to leave a crumb of food on the plate, and look at what we're leaving with that "but kids are starving around the world!" look.  

I have never left food in a restaurant, people who campaign for worse value for money mystify me. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    p90fool said:
    Nitefly said:
    Snap said:

I have never left food in a restaurant, people who campaign for worse value for money mystify me. 

Then let me de-mystify you: I want smaller portions for smaller prices, not a mountain of food I can't finish.  I generally stop eating when I'm full.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    I don't. I think I'm part Labrador. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    57Deluxe said:
    the only redeeming element to going vegetative is that you can still eat chips - with everything!
    Who do you like best?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Going Veggie ....

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
    Well, tonight I made potato, cauliflower and egg curry.  https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1436/cauliflower-egg-and-potato-curry

Very nice indeed.

I'm not entirely sure the bedroom air will smell fantastic in the morning, but hey-ho !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Bidley said:
    Snap said:

I'm pretty sure sugar is at least as big of a culprit for obesity as meat. You can still eat that as a vegan/veggie can't you?

That's not my point.

Meat production is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gasses and depletion of natural resources. Its massively draining. When you look into the amount of resources needed to produce a kilo of meat it really is unbelievable.

In terms of obesity, blaming sugar is way too simplistic. The issue is we (in the developed world) eat way too much full stop. My belief is that this is due to individually not understanding what is the right amount of food, and what it means to eat nutritious food.

Its not about affordability either. The notion that fast or processed food is cheaper than fresh is false. You can fill you basket at Aldi or Lidl with fresh fruit and veg for not a lot of money at all. The problem is, people don't seem to know how to do that, or what to do with it when they get home. I don't buy the "haven't got time" argument at all. If something matters to you, you make time.

What we eat should matter to all of us as it's directly linked to how well we live, how well we feel, and how long we will live.

More than that - if you don't think about where your food comes from, how it gets to your shop shelf, then you are contributing to the growing problems we have with resources around the world. Its easy to simply dismiss it, and I know I am being simplistic, but we all can blame industry or transport, or diesel cars, or oil demand for global warming, but our diets are the real problem.

How we eat, and what we eat creates a massive demand and production chain that is affecting the whole planet. It seems we are generally wilfully ignorant of it as well. The more you insist on your meat with every meal, your nicely packaged and imported fruit and veg, regardless of season, the more the problem will grow.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • My main, concise argument for reducing nationwide meat consumption is thus;

During WW2, why was meat the first thing to be rationed, one of the last to be removed from rationing, and why was the War Ag set up to maximise plant-based agriculture? Simply, because we can't sustainably feed our nation on domestically produced meat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2019
    In the last few days, I've noticed, on TV, a couple of fairly big name comedians taking the piss out of "healthy eating". Is that not pretty sad? Bit like ttp out of someone for not smoking. 
  • In the last few days, I've noticed, on TV, a couple of fairly big name comedians taking the piss out of "healthy eating". Is that not pretty sad? Bit like ttp out of someone for not smoking. 
    Or not eating vag.

Hi btw.

Bye!

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Alrighty
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    In the news today about the importance of a high fibre diet ( I wouldn't say there was anything new in that but they've published some enormous study). 
    Obviously you can eat a very low fibre vegetarian diet but if moving to a more plant based diet it is very possible to increase your fibre intake in the process. As a high fibre diet is shown to cut heart disease might be something of note for the OP here (although ignore my recommendation of the Gregg's vegan roll in that case...). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.