Today is one week since I clipped a parked car...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    How odd.. they just messaged!  One you guys? ha

Said not to worry, thanks for being honest, other side has marks anyway.

Closure! and coincidental...  unless you are on this forum, in which case, hi.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I've had cars badly hit on two occasions (with me in them). Both times I just let the other driver off. They were oldish cars, I don't really care about dents and your own insurance company usually screws you over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    your own insurance company usually screws you over.
    ain't that the truth
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9553
    If you ever hit another vehicle and are honest enough to leave a note, then take photos of any areas of damage and areas not damaged. That way, should they come back saying you wrote their car off or some other extravagant claim, you’ll be able to refute it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJ said:
    Been meaning to get in touch mate. Bad news....damage looked minor but my car is a write off. 
    And you must have done something to the alarm cos the damned thing won’t stop beeping.

Beep.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    edited January 2019
    axisus said:
    your own insurance company usually screws you over.
    ain't that the truth
    Yup!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24211
    Owww... my neck !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3367
    Do you not have to report this to the police? 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    The last time I delty with an ''accident'' (cause and effect) some arse hole reversed into my missus, a battle ensued which we eventually won over a year later (the twat started lying) , but anyway, when I was doing the leg work I spoke to various insurance inspectors and the like, one guy that I spoke to told me there were only 4 insurance company's in the UK, all the rest are brokers, so the chances are you are fighting your own insurance company thinking its the other persons different company, I learned a lot from that, I learned that the police will only attend if some one is hurt , always carry a camera, always get witness details, never , ever trust anyone. If the other person looks anyway dodgy, any way at all , pretend to be hurt and call the police. You would be surprised what someone will do to avoid attention from their insurance company, or what someone who doesnt have insurance will do to make sure you dont follow it up.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    robgilmo said:
    If you’re in an accident
    If you have an accident causing damage or injury you must give the following to anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them,’ for example an insurance company:
    • your name and address
    • the vehicle registration number
    You also need to give the owner’s name and address if the vehicle isn’t yours.
    You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if you don’t give your details at the time of the accident.
    You must also report the accident to your insurance company, even if you’re not planning to make a claim.
    Accidents with uninsured motorists
    You should tell the police if you have an accident with someone who’s not insured.
    Your insurance company will also be able to give you more advice.
    You might also be able to get compensation if you’re the victim of an uninsured or hit and run driver.

edited January 2019
    octatonic said:
    robgilmo said:
    If you’re in an accident
    If you have an accident causing damage or injury you must give the following to anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them,’ for example an insurance company:
    • your name and address
    • the vehicle registration number
    You also need to give the owner’s name and address if the vehicle isn’t yours.
    You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if you don’t give your details at the time of the accident.
    You must also report the accident to your insurance company, even if you’re not planning to make a claim.
    Accidents with uninsured motorists
    You should tell the police if you have an accident with someone who’s not insured.
    Your insurance company will also be able to give you more advice.
    You might also be able to get compensation if you’re the victim of an uninsured or hit and run driver.

So, if someone removes the note and there is a witness saying you damaged the other car, your fucked basically. I would probably just give a quiet call to the local station, just to keep my back clear.

Although I wouldn't say a word to my own insurance company, they can and probably will note it and raise your premium next year. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yes, I was agreeing with you.

octatonic said:
    Yes, I was agreeing with you.

Ah, sorry, it's just that that never happens.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    perhaps the car you clipped was stolen...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Ooooooooh.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Some people aren’t that precious about their cars.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    usedtobe said:
    Depends on the car! The car I mentioned above was about 18 years old; I wasn't fussed.

On another occasion I was parked and sitting in my other old car, and the f***** in the next parking spot opened his door into my car's bodywork. If he'd dented that in any way at all, I wouldn't have let it go.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    usedtobe said:
    Like the French...

Go to Paris and have a look at the cars! Anything more than about a week old has a dent.

Obviously not the place to open a bodywork repair business.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I think it's better not to be precious about them, just makes life much easier. Of course, with the rise of rent to buy car leasing etc, even if you'd be inclined not to care about scratches etc, someone else expects you to care.