the police must have been so bored in the 40s with so little crime ....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
3reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Cyber crime was still in its infancy then.
    Also historical sex offences were just starting up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    rolls1392 said:
    Cyber crime was still in its infancy then.
    Also historical sex offences were just starting up.
    The Police were too busy turning a blind eye to them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In fairness Sting wasn't even born until 1951 so I'm not surprised he wasn't very active in the 1940s
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Not much else going on in 1944 iirc..
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Signed by the Chief Constable too. Unbelievable. 
    Mind you, this was Luton pre-M1 so pretty much the edge of the world...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 121
    Nowadays, the letter is more like to read "I'm sorry your Mother was robbed at knifepoint three weeks ago, please ensure that you call 101 should this happen again"
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • Wartime; they were very very hot on any deviation from the norm, as the police were constantly on the lookout for Fritz. Did you know it was also a crime, during wartime, to not lock and immobilise any parked car?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I had an old Jamaican chap on my caseload ( for drink driving I think) and I distinctly remember on his record that he went to prison in the sixties in Jamaica for an offence of Theft of a Pound.  IIRC they still have capital punishment there so just as well it wasn't a fiver. 

I think the only odd offence that used to come up with surprising regularity on people's records when I was preparing reports for court was Drunk in Charge of a Child. One of those offences that seems to exist to give the police the right to arrest you when they couldn't think of anything better. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3356
    Wartime; they were very very hot on any deviation from the norm, as the police were constantly on the lookout for Fritz. Did you know it was also a crime, during wartime, to not lock and immobilise any parked car?
    It was, also, it was a crime to open a pint of milk without first holding it up in the air and proclaiming ''Aye, be that thy milk there that be, kwooor me old beauty''.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    I had an old Jamaican chap on my caseload ( for drink driving I think) and I distinctly remember on his record that he went to prison in the sixties in Jamaica for an offence of Theft of a Pound.  IIRC they still have capital punishment there so just as well it wasn't a fiver. 

I think the only odd offence that used to come up with surprising regularity on people's records when I was preparing reports for court was Drunk in Charge of a Child. One of those offences that seems to exist to give the police the right to arrest you when they couldn't think of anything better. 

In King Henry VIII's time, theft worth more than one shilling was a capital offence and people were hanged for it. They hung them by standing them on the back of a cart, putting a noose around their necks and driving the cart away. They died by strangulation. Felons with friends or family in the crowd would have their legs pulled, thus breaking their necks and giving them a quicker death.

What I like to call the Good Old Days!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drunk in Charge of a Child. One of those offences that seems to exist to give the police the right to arrest you when they couldn't think of anything better. 

Thats pretty much every parent that ever lived!
    robgilmo said:
    Drunk in Charge of a Child. One of those offences that seems to exist to give the police the right to arrest you when they couldn't think of anything better. 

I think it has to be a child under 7 in a public place ( for example - a pub! ) but it's still a fairly large potential number of people. 
    edited January 2019
    robgilmo said:

I think it has to be a child under 7 in a public place ( for example - a pub! ) but it's still a fairly large potential number of people. 
    I suppose the definition of ''drunk'' isnt a given? I dont know what the legal limit to drive is these days but I am sure its nowhere near ''drunk''. Ive had my two in a pub for lunch, Ive had a pint or two, no way could I have driven but I didn't feel too drunk to look after the kids, I was still able for instance to accurately administer severe beatings to the pair of them for not holding their forks properly.
    robgilmo said:
    robgilmo said:

I suppose the definition of ''drunk'' isnt a given? I dont know what the legal limit to drive is these days but I am sure its nowhere near ''drunk''. Ive had my two in a pub for lunch, Ive had a pint or two, no way could I have driven but I didn't feel too drunk to look after the kids, I was still able for instance to accurately administer severe beatings to the pair of them for not holding their forks properly.
    I don't know. I don't think I ever dealt with it in court, it appeared on the previous convictions of people who had a lot of previous convictions hence my feeling it was the thing the police had managed to get to stick when nothing else would. There are plenty of powers to remove children who are at risk so it isn't necessary for that. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I got smacked round the head by our local PC for riding on the pavement in 1965.

I've lived in my current house for over 25 years. Crime was very low .... not the case any more. There have been 12 burglaries a couple of streets away in the last few weeks. Pretty brazen as well .. the police response has been patchy.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Well, that was back in the day when we had a police force. Now it's a service.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    I got smacked round the head by our local PC for riding on the pavement in 1965.

I've lived in my current house for over 25 years. Crime was very low .... not the case any more. There have been 12 burglaries a couple of streets away in the last few weeks. Pretty brazen as well .. the police response has been patchy.
    Was it with his truncheon? People were more tolerant back then of such things.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    To be fair, they had just murdered someone and had to flee the scene as fast as possible.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    robgilmo said:
    Fretwired said:

Was it with his truncheon? People were more tolerant back then of such things.
    Back of his hand. He was a big Irishman by the name of PC Shelford. The locals loved him as he was an effective copper if you get my meaning.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    deano said:
    In King Henry VIII's time, theft worth more than one shilling was a capital offence and people were hanged for it. They hung them by standing them on the back of a cart, putting a noose around their necks and driving the cart away. They died by strangulation. Felons with friends or family in the crowd would have their legs pulled, thus breaking their necks and giving them a quicker death.

What I like to call the Good Old Days!
    There were two types of hanging. The one you described is the Short Drop. The Long Drop was done on a proper scaffold and the fall should break the victim’s neck for a quick death, if the executioner was good at his job. A Short Drop death must’ve been a brutal way to go.