Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Horrible word of the day

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Just received an email from the Senior Strategic Communications Manager at work:

We have just published a 10 point listicle ...

WTF!?!?! 

It's probably years old, I have been thankfully spared of its existence up until now. It is the most annoying word since I first saw Webinar. It's frikkin offensive! 

I'll shut up now

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I listened to a program on radio 4 this morning which mentioned first Barack Obama's phrase "empathy deficit" as well as an Empathy Consultant saying she provides "Empathy Nudges".  Luckily she then got torn apart by the host who pointed out she had an incorrect understanding of the term empathy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Is Twunt still ok?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    We're producing marketing material at work that someone has decided will be a cross between a brochure and a magazine - officially now called a "Brozine" - where's that vomitting emoji when you need it!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    BigMonka said:
    We're producing marketing material at work that someone has decided will be a cross between a brochure and a magazine - officially now called a "Brozine" - where's that vomitting emoji when you need it!
    I thought a "Brozine" was a magazine for men. Or a new type of halogen. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    BigMonka said:
    They need a kick in the Scrollocks
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Fistula 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    BigMonka said:
    Humanity must die. This is proof. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    munckee said:
    I listened to a program on radio 4 this morning which mentioned first Barack Obama's phrase "empathy deficit" as well as an Empathy Consultant saying she provides "Empathy Nudges".  Luckily she then got torn apart by the host who pointed out she had an incorrect understanding of the term empathy.

"Roll up Roll up  Empathy nudges. 3 for a pound."

Bread rolls are actually very caring. Arctic rolls can be quite cold.  

• axisus said:
    Just received an email from the Senior Strategic Communications Manager at work:

We have just published a 10 point listicle ...

WTF!?!?! 

It's probably years old, I have been thankfully spared of its existence up until now. It is the most annoying word since I first saw Webinar. It's frikkin offensive! 

I'll shut up now

Not as offensive (and meaningless) as leverage being used as a verb.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    BigMonka said:
    Probably the same person who tried to make "fetch" happen?

I find "listicle" inoffensive.  It's an article in the form of a list.  Do we have a word for that? I don't think so. Do we need a word for that? Here's 10 reasons why...

Webinar is ok too. It's a seminar on the web.  As long as we have seminars not on the web it's a useful word.  Almost as good as world-wide-wecture.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

"Webinar" doesn't bother me - thinking about it, I just accepted it as a word without even thinking where it came from.

Never heard "listicle" before.  I don't like it.  It sounds too much like testicle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Surely a listicle is just an ickle list?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Snags said:
    This makes testicles sound like an insult...
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Veganic said:

Webinar is ok too. It's a seminar on the web.  As long as we have seminars not on the web it's a useful word.  Almost as good as world-wide-wecture.

Webinar is a clumsy, malformed word that is jarring to read and unpleasant to pronounce. The reason, I think, that it sounds so absurd is that it lacks any semantic integrity.

The noun 'seminar' is derived from seminary, which is in turn derived from the Latin 'seminarian', meaning breeding ground or plant nursery. These words all share their etymology with 'seed' and have to do with the dissemination and development of ideas.

The problem is that all of the meaning is loaded in the root of the word, in the 'sem' that has, in the case of webinar, been thoughtlessly excised. Without that referent, the word is meaningless; it's a linguistic cut and shut with a very conspicuous join.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    Listicle (noun) a portmanteau word from list, to lean to one side and testicle, male genitalia. Where one testicle hangs lower than the other. Look at the listicle on those!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    All of these new made up unnecessary words, and we still don't have a word for the disappointment you feel when someone takes the last biscuit before you get a chance.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    scrumhalf said:
    All of these new made up unnecessary words, and we still don't have a word for the disappointment you feel when someone takes the last biscuit before you get a chance.
    Isn't that just ..... "disappointment"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    scrumhalf said:
    Marriage?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Maynehead said:
    Snags said:
    This makes testicles sound like an insult...

What's the last thing Tickle-Me Elmo gets before he leaves the factory? ...