Wet Dry Set up - any thoughts before I rip my pedal board apart?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tekbow said:
    So this thread has got me thinking, and I figured I'd query here instead of a whole new thread.

At the minute, I've got what I've got, and there won't be a second amp or cab for the foreseeable future for various reasons but....

A single amp, single cab wet/dry setup.

I've got an oversized 212 cab with 120w speakers, I've got an amp with an adjustable level slave out and an FX loop bypass switch that I kinda prefer to be engaged. There's one speaker out as the other is occupied by the FX loop bypass.

The 212 used to be a combo cab, which Im converting to a closed back standalone cab.

Here's my thinking, have a mono/stereo jack plate installed on the closed back that's being made for the cab. One speaker is fed from the amp speaker out, the other from the slave out via FX, and a standalone power amp.

The only thing the cab builder has mentioned is that if the circuit board in the jack plate goes, you could have impedance issue that may damage the amp.

However if you have 2 x 8ohm speakers wired in parallel for stereo (is that right?) Then even if the circuit board fails (the electronic) implications of which, I don't know), the impedance would still remain at 8 ohms?

The speakers would have to be separated to be stereo. 
    So the impedance would be at the individual rating for the speakers. 

I think the main issue with those mono/stereo switches is that they can fail open circuit thus leaving your valve amp without any load at all.

Which is bad.  

However a speaker cable can fail with about as much chance, given its life of being plugged/unplugged chucked in the box, trodden on etc etc. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    tekbow said:
    ... At the minute, I've got what I've got, and there won't be a second amp or cab for the foreseeable future...

...speaker is fed from the amp speaker out, the other from the slave out via FX, and a standalone power amp...
    Forgive me for not understanding: are you talking about using just one amp, as per your first statement, or getting another slave amp to use, as per your later statement?

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    edited January 2019
    Sorry, missed this. Got caught up in guitar and amp rating.

@professorben ah ok, I'll just go with a mono jack plate then, and wait until the expiration of the wifely disapproval on further gear aquistions to get another cab. Or even a pair of 1x12's for a WDW.

@gadget. I was referring to driving a WD setup from a single amp, rather than amp blending with 2 independent heads with a AB/Y, one dry and one wet.

I mentioned stretching to a standalone power amp (plenty suitable solid state ones cheap on ebay) to drive a slave out via effects into a stereo 212.

But not gona do that now.

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Just finished re wiring it and I am very pleased. It sounds bigger, even at home volume levels. The amps appear to complement each other well and my 60/40 plan seems to be about right.

Another good outcome is that as the looper is on the wet side so sounds really good for practicing. Happy happy here
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    rsvmark said:
    Just finished re wiring it and I am very pleased. It sounds bigger, even at home volume levels. The amps appear to complement each other well and my 60/40 plan seems to be about right.

Another good outcome is that as the looper is on the wet side so sounds really good for practicing. Happy happy here
    Time for a video demo then... :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    Gadget said:
    rsvmark said:

Time for a video demo then... :)
    Lol- if only I was that technically competent! I struggle to post photos let alone a video that is even a vague resemblance to how it sounds!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • rsvmark said:

Great stuff..