Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sun holiday in January ? Egypt ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24250
    I remember the first time I did long-haul.  I was losing the plot towards the end of the flight.  I was so desperate to get out of the metal tube I was pacing up and down the aisle and looking at the doors.  That was 10h30.  How on earth anyone can cope with today's longest flights of 17h plus I don't know.  The current longest non-stop is Newark to Singapore - approx 18h40.

EIGHTEEN HOURS !!!  I'd need to be sedated !!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    Emp_Fab said:
    I remember the first time I did long-haul.  I was losing the plot towards the end of the flight.  I was so desperate to get out of the metal tube I was pacing up and down the aisle and looking at the doors.  That was 10h30.  How on earth anyone can cope with today's longest flights of 17h plus I don't know.  The current longest non-stop is Newark to Singapore - approx 18h40.

I’d need to be in first class...!

the longest I’ve done was 14.5 hrs, Abu Dhabi to JFK. That was in first on an A380 (with miles, not money!!!) and completely awesome. Im a confident happy flier but would seriously dislike the same flight in eccnomy.

I think the longest economy flight I’ve done was probably Perth from AUH, that’s about 10 hours. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33778
    Emp_Fab said:

I’d need to be in first class...!

the longest I’ve done was 14.5 hrs, Abu Dhabi to JFK. That was in first on an A380 (with miles, not money!!!) and completely awesome. Im a confident happy flier but would seriously dislike the same flight in eccnomy.

I think the longest economy flight I’ve done was probably Perth from AUH, that’s about 10 hours. 
    I've done London to Syd/Melb at least a dozen times, which means a 2 hour layover in either Abu D/Singapore/Hong Kong/Bangkok.
    It is brutal, especially in economy.
    It is worse when you do the short leg first because you get off the first plane and still have another 12-13 hours to go.

I'll only do 12 hour+ flights in Business Class now- 47 year old me simply can't do it any other way.
    My preference is to do it in two hops, but that eats into holiday time.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1298
    Just bite the bullet with the flight and go to South East Asia.  Southern Vietnam is great at this time of year.  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33778
    sinbaadi said:
    Just bite the bullet with the flight and go to South East Asia.  Southern Vietnam is great at this time of year.  
    It is hot as fuck at the moment.
    34 in HCM, about the same as here in Singapore but the humidity is intense.
    Right, after almost booking Lanzarote then realising the weather forecast is crap, we started looking at Cuba and Mexico again and almost booked, but the thought of that flight stopped us.  So - it's going to be Egypt.  I'll take my chances.  The prices are just too good for what you get, and it's only 5h away and the weather is good.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    Excellent, look forward to hearing about it. I bet you will have a great time. Envious, I'd like to be on a beach in the sun, even just for an afternoon would do. Somehow, a trip to Cleethorpes just doesn't cut it...…. (err ever tbh)
    You'll love it :)
    Hmmm.  I've just read about the attacks in Hurghada last year and the year before, with tourists killed or injured by I.S. sympathisers.

I think that might put us on edge a little.  It looks fabulous but I don't want to be thinking "has this bloke got other intentions?" every time a trinket seller approaches.
  • Malta?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    Emp_Fab said:
    Hmmm.  I've just read about the attacks in Hurghada last year and the year before, with tourists killed or injured by I.S. sympathisers.

And presumably you also saw about the recent bomb  attack on Vietnamese tourists in Cairo? Three dead, several injured. We were planning to go this year too, but that latest attack has put us right off. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    Emp_Fab said:

I think that might put us on edge a little.  It looks fabulous but I don't want to be thinking "has this bloke got other intentions?" every time a trinket seller approaches.
    But they're your mates .........just tell them what a great friend of Gaza you are and how you are happy to send money that ends up in the hands of Hamas ...so whats's to worry about ?
     Although Egypt is just as harsh with Gaza as Israel so I'm surprised you go there .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

Its the Middle East, what do you expect?! Whole area, and Sinai in particular, is full of nutjobs. Chances are you will be fine, but it wouldn't be top of my list. I'd sooner take my chances with the weather in the Canaries.

You will probably find that everything is dead cheap, but there might be a bit of hassle to try and get you to come in and spend in every restaurant/café/bar.

I wouldn’t go to Hurghada, but that’s because 1) beaches are dull and 2) the rest of Egypt is too important to miss.

I don’t see the point worrying about terrorism - it’s very unlikely to be a problem and they just want to make you miss out on some of the great things the world has to offer. 

I do worry about muggers though - they’ll fuck your day up and make you grumpy about the rest of your holiday
    I'm not after a cultured holiday - just sun, comfort and a swim.  We wouldn't leave the hotel complex, so getting shit off persistent shopkeepers isn't likely.  Getting shot by persistent maniacs is more likely.

The other major problem I've looked at is the frequency which the words "Egypt" and "Food poisoning" appear together.  We both got ill in Cape Verde last year so we're in no hurry to suffer the arse-gravy fountain again.

Buffet-all-inclusives are always going to be riskier than a-la-carte, but some countries have a reputation for getting it wrong and Egypt is one of them.

So, now I'm looking back at Cuba, Mexico, Abu Dhabi and, possibly Florida.
    Abu Dhabi is lovely if you want beaches and don't mind 7 or 8 hours on a plane. Solid mid-20s most afternoons at the mo. 

You'd be extremely unlikely to get food poisoning or shot and can ride a camel and even meet me!! :D :D 

Muscat? Bit more to see than other places round there, bit more westernised too, ish, with the Portuguese link.

Florida - pick your spot carefully to make sure you get the best weather. Miami!

Cuba, Mexico I'd have in favour of all of the above.

However, if you are after an all inclusive, the Arab emirates will be fine. As long as you make sure your booze is included, otherwise your eyes will water like hell!!

Of course, just remember by visiting the emirates, you are endorsing & supporting oppressive regimes that bang people up for little reason, without consular support, and suppress free speech, human rights, you name it really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Right then, fuck that.  Sorry Sticky, I'm not going to get the er... sticky experience... !  I can't support oppressive regimes that bang people up for little reason - so I'll probably end up going to Cuba or Mexico where they.... er......
    Isn't Abu Dhabi just a few beaches surrounded by skyscrapers ?  Admittedly I haven't done any research beyond looking at a handful of photos.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Emp_Fab - don't go anywhere dangerous. I don't want to have to reminisce about you in some RIP Kevin thread. That would suck.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom