Single Amp that works well for both acoustic& electric

TedTed Frets: 126
Is there such a thing?

Any advice appreciated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    My Katana 100 combo works very well for the odd acoustic number.  I imagine if you go deep with the EQ via the PC editor it could be even better (I've not done this myself).  You can also set up specific reverb, delay, comp on the acoustic channel if you want to.

I actually had Bright Onion make me a combined AB box and channel switcher so I can have an acoustic and electric plugged in on their own leads.  Pressing the button routes the correct instrument to the input and selects the correct channel (1 or 2) on the Katana.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TitchTitch Frets: 45
    Rivera Sedonna does both electric and acoustic, I think there's two versions one 55w & a 25w.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 618
    Yep, assuming the acoustic modelling on the many modestly-priced digital amps isn’t doing it for you, and assuming you want tubes, Sedonna is the only answer I know of, too.

The Henriksen JazzAmp has a switchable tweeter if you prefer SS.

I’ve not tried one, but given how enthusiastic other people are about them, a Kemper might be the very best solution.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    A Fender Twin isn't too bad...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    modeller with an IR facility ?  heard IR captures of top class acoustics used to tone shape mere mortals electros with very interesting results ..
    Don't think I'm ever going to be curious enough to spend £1500 on a Kemper, but your question did make me curious enough to listen to some profiles. Seems clear that its potential as an acoustic amp is less explored by users so far, but I'd be very happy with something that could do this.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Assuming we can have some sort of powered speaker(s) then I’ll volunteer the Helix. Works great for electric and acoustic.
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Many thanks for all the replies.

I was looking at the Roland Cube street EX because I was looking for it to be portable - in case I ever need to earn money as a busker.

Does anyone know if this Would  work for both acoustic and electric?

If it did not have to portable, the Katona would seem ideal.
    No gain control, which may or may not matter to you depending on what you like to do with an electric guitar, but yes, that's designed to work with both acoustic and electric.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Roland JC22 or JC40?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    barnstorm said:
    No gain control, which may or may not matter to you depending on what you like to do with an electric guitar, but yes, that's designed to work with both acoustic and electric.

The standard Cube Street has a Gain Control. 
  • definitely look at the boss katana range!!
  • I think you would have to choose between something that sounds good and something that works for busking. The Street Cube will work for busking (they all seem to use them) but I doubt you'd get it to sound great, I'd say acceptable at best really. You don't buy them for their sounds I wouldn't have thought
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Kim Deal of Breeders used a Marshall stack.
    Another option would be a standard Acoustic Amp and a good Preamp pedal like the Mesa V Twin to go with it. Not sure how it would work for busking though.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Full range active speaker cab like a Yamaha DXR10 with a modeller for the electric sounds.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Another option would be a standard Acoustic Amp and a good Preamp pedal like the Mesa V Twin to go with it. Not sure how it would work for busking though.
    That isn't really a good idea - most acoustic amps aren't designed to take overdriven signals, even with speaker emulation on, and there's a fair risk of blowing the speaker or the power amp module.

Ones that are designed specifically to do both jobs like the Street Cube will be rated enough to cope.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    ICBM said:
    That isn't really a good idea - most acoustic amps aren't designed to take overdriven signals, even with speaker emulation on, and there's a fair risk of blowing the speaker or the power amp module.

Ones that are designed specifically to do both jobs like the Street Cube will be rated enough to cope.
    To add to that, it probably won't sound good.  I tried a Harley-Benton AC Tone into a Fishman Loudbox Mini, and it didn't sound good at all.  (It does sound passable direct into a PA).

You would be better off with an active PA type cab.  If budget allows a QSC or Yamaha DXR 10.  If budget does not allow then something from Alto or Behringer.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    The essential problem is that a traditional guitar amp/combo is designed to reproduce a limited frequency band and it's even quite poor at doing that! Most have humps and dips in the thier frequency response.
    Acoustic guitars tend to need clean wide even frequency reproduction (like hi fi ). So a decent smooth bass/low mid and a crisp top end are among the desirable traits. To get the latter it's best to use a two way cabinet with a horn for ideal reproduction.
    All that said a decent clean sounding amp and an acoustic preamp pedal will get a tone suitable for strumming in a band situation, although if you are live a DI and the PA system are king for acoustic reproduction, (stick a bit back through your combo to monitor if you must, but keep it quite so as not to tarnish the FOH sound).
    I've rehearsed with an HRD doing double duty and adding a MESA rosette in line for the acoustic.
    ICBM said:

I thought that an Acoustic Amp was just a standard PA speaker with a Preamp attached to it. Good to know not to try that then.