the police must have been so bored in the 40s with so little crime ....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    boogieman said:
    deano said:
    In King Henry VIII's time, theft worth more than one shilling was a capital offence and people were hanged for it. They hung them by standing them on the back of a cart, putting a noose around their necks and driving the cart away. They died by strangulation. Felons with friends or family in the crowd would have their legs pulled, thus breaking their necks and giving them a quicker death.

What I like to call the Good Old Days!
    There were two types of hanging. The one you described is the Short Drop. The Long Drop was done on a proper scaffold and the fall should break the victim’s neck for a quick death, if the executioner was good at his job. A Short Drop death must’ve been a brutal way to go. 

I've stood over a long drop with the noose round my neck in a prison (now museum) I visited in the US. I also sat in their gas chamber and on their electric chair. I still have the pictures.

I think I was only around 10 or 11 at the time but thinking back it's not a very nice thing to do, seeing as people had actually been executed using them. I don't think I would do the same now.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    LuttiS said:
    Not much else going on in 1944 iirc..
    Foyle's War seemed a lot more eventful than this chap's War for sure...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    boogieman said:
    There were two types of hanging. The one you described is the Short Drop. The Long Drop was done on a proper scaffold and the fall should break the victim’s neck for a quick death, if the executioner was good at his job. A Short Drop death must’ve been a brutal way to go. 
    Yeah, but this is Luton. Short Drop is £10 an hour. Long Drop cheaper but miles from the terminal (although I guess hanging was always terminal)....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom