Which MIDI controller?

What's Hot
I’m looking for an inexpensive (£200 or less ideally) midi controller with 61 keys. 

Priority is for a good feeling action to the keys (guess this means semi weighted or fully weighted) and a massive plus would be the ability to use as a standalone device (ie no computer involved) when I just want to use it as a piano - but guessing that might not exist at this price point. 

Any thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86 said:
    I’m looking for an inexpensive (£200 or less ideally) midi controller with 61 keys. 

Priority is for a good feeling action to the keys (guess this means semi weighted or fully weighted) and a massive plus would be the ability to use as a standalone device (ie no computer involved) when I just want to use it as a piano - but guessing that might not exist at this price point. 

Any thoughts? 
    You won't find one at that price but for a pure midi controller then you can get the Kontrol A-series 61 key for under £200 quid
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2019
    Buy this:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/138098/fs-roland-xp-50-synthesizer-workstation

It is £50 ov er budget but you simply won't find a better buy for the money.
    It has an excellent piano sound, can be used as a master controller (via midi)
    You will need a USB to midi interface if you don't have one but you can pick them up for £20.

If I was still in the UK I'd have had this ages ago.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    That’s definitely a good call....I have the XP80 ...but you can’t have it !

i use the Roland UM1 I think as USB to midi, works fine .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    edited January 2019
    You won't find one at that price but for a pure midi controller then you can get the Kontrol A-series 61 key for under £200 quid
    Good call.  I've been looking at the Komplete A25 version to supplement my 88-key weighted controller.  The free NI plugins that come with it are great, and the integration via the Komplete Kontrol software is brilliant.  The scales/chords/arp features are very good for inspiration too.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I've just bought a Roland Go Piano, slightly over your budget at £229 new. 

Works on batteries, is a midi controller and a decent digital piano. They also do a Go Keys which has many other features. 

Likin mine.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, 2nd hand is a good way of making things fit budget...

I have a Roland JV-35 which cost me £75 and a Yamaha YPR-9 which I got for nothing on freecycle.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks all. Been thinking about it and I actually want to get a proper upright digital piano for downstairs in the future so I think I’ll get a cheap and cheerful midi controller that can be just that for the time being. 

For £160ish I like the look of the Arturia Keylab Essential - I like the built in transport control for DAW, a nice touch for lazy fuckers like me, plus pads and faders etc 

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/midi-keyboard/arturia-keylab-61-essential-black-edition-usb-midi-keyboard
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    take a look at Novation stuff.. looks good value
    play every note as if it were your first