Does it ever bother you.....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15922
edited January 2019 in Off Topic
...when you turn up at a gig with the absolute best in latest high end gear and think tae yourself ..."shit, i am under pressure tae be good here tonight with all this stuff"

On the other hand the opposite scenario is some dude walks in with the leanest and cheapest of gear and just kills everyone around for miles
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Ha! I’m always the guy with a Yamaha Pacifica so I can’t really comment! 
  • I think its slightly relevent to me, loads of bands we play with have gone digital now so Axe FX's/Kemper's everywhere. Not saying our amps are bad but I just feel a bit crappy knowing they we haven't got that tight djenty riffing tone a compressed digital setting will give you, with the added option to switch to nice sparking cleans which could be a completely different amp with the switch of a button.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I feel pressure to play well regardless of what I’m using!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Audience doesn't give two shits about your stuff. No need to feel under pressure.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think I ever cared about what Joe Public thinks ... but I'd go to pieces if I saw another musician in the audience
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • randellarandella Frets: 4084
    I don't think I ever cared about what Joe Public thinks ... but I'd go to pieces if I saw another musician in the audience
    I’m the opposite - the one or two players in the audience don’t bother me. They’re usually friendly for the most part, chats about gear and such afterwards. 

I want to see Joe Public singing, drinking, and dancing, that’s when I go home happy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nah. Most people have never heard of half the gear I use, so they always assume it's cheap shit and that their gear is better.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The only time I've really felt for someone was at a gig I saw at the Water rats.

First band had a drum kit with 4 rack Toms 2 floor Toms 4 crash cymbals, 2 splash ride and a couple of chinas. Took him about an hour to set it all up. Drummer was workmanlike and used about half of the kit mostly staying on hats all night.

Second band drummer borrowed the first bands kit and said to the guy. I don't know what half of this stuff is can I remove anything I don't need?

Stripped it down to kick, hats snare and one crash and then just absolutely tore it up. He was pro standard and was playing all sorts of crazy stuff.

The first bands drummer looked like he wanted to kill himself.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    It always amuses me when I see a guitarist with a pedalboard the area of a small country and they only use 2 pedals all night...
  • wave100 said:
    It always amuses me when I see a guitarist with a pedalboard the area of a small country and they only use 2 pedals all night...
    OTOH people like me keep "A" pedalboard, it has everything on it that I'm likely to need. If for a particular gig I don't need most of them, that's OK, I still have only 1 connection in and 1 out and don't need to reconfigure the FX just for that gig
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100 said:
    OTOH people like me keep "A" pedalboard, it has everything on it that I'm likely to need. If for a particular gig I don't need most of them, that's OK, I still have only 1 connection in and 1 out and don't need to reconfigure the FX just for that gig
    Yep. There's wisdom in having options available to you on a gig, but there's wisdom in knowing that they are only options.
    Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to fiddle with it etc.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    As a bassist - no one notices me or cares.

The best I get is "Do you hope to have a Fender one day?" type questions when I've got a £3000 Marleaux round my neck.

The only thing that bothers me about other players is when it's an average pub and some eijit has set up a 100 Plexi with a couple of 4x12s.

Unless I see a good attenuator I'm not staying to have my hearing destroyed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    wave100 said:
    Yep. There's wisdom in having options available to you on a gig, but there's wisdom in knowing that they are only options.
    Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to fiddle with it etc.
    Spectre Media used to do a T-shirt with something like "Using 40 amp sims doesn't make you cool it makes you an asshole" :D 

• The best I get is "Do you hope to have a Fender one day?" type questions when I've got a £3000 Marleaux round my neck.

I'm a guitarist and I get the same. I'm stood there with a pair of Jaden Rose guitars, and more than once I've had folk come up to me with, "Why bother with that cheap Chinese crap? Just get a real Ibanez...".
    <space for hire>
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    The only time I've really felt for someone was at a gig I saw at the Water rats.

First band had a drum kit with 4 rack Toms 2 floor Toms 4 crash cymbals, 2 splash ride and a couple of chinas. Took him about an hour to set it all up. Drummer was workmanlike and used about half of the kit mostly staying on hats all night.

Second band drummer borrowed the first bands kit and said to the guy. I don't know what half of this stuff is can I remove anything I don't need?

Stripped it down to kick, hats snare and one crash and then just absolutely tore it up. He was pro standard and was playing all sorts of crazy stuff.

The first bands drummer looked like he wanted to kill himself.
    The best drummers I've played with are all like that (the second guy, not the first!). 

Best was the dep we had for a NYE gig. Our usual drummer had a fairly chunky kits, plenty of cymbals and 4 toms. This guy showed up with just bass, snare, 2 toms, single crash, ride and hihats after a single rehearsal on a borrowed studio kit. He was an AWESOME drummer. That was the best we ever sounded by miles. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randellarandella Frets: 4084
    edited January 2019

The best I get is "Do you hope to have a Fender one day?" type questions when I've got a £3000 Marleaux round my neck.

I'm a guitarist and I get the same. I'm stood there with a pair of Jaden Rose guitars, and more than once I've had folk come up to me with, "Why bother with that cheap Chinese crap? Just get a real Ibanez...".
    "What's that?"
    "It's a Mini Rectifier, it's a smaller version of the Mesa Rectifier heads."
    "All transistor then?"
    "No, it's valve."

30 seconds later...

"So it's transistor then?  I really prefer valves."

Being sober around drunk folk doesn't help I guess.  I lose the will in the end and just smile politely.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31365
    We play girly pop, nobody has the slightest idea what gear we're using, including four out of the five of us. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:

"What's that?"
    "It's a Mini Rectifier, it's a smaller version of the Mesa Rectifier heads."
    "All transistor then?"
    "No, it's valve."

30 seconds later...

"So it's transistor then?  I really prefer valves."

Being sober around drunk folk doesn't help I guess.  I lose the will in the end and just smile politely.
    I'm just imagining what's going to happen when I take the N4-alike I built out.

"Yeah, it's cool that you built one, but why don't you just buy a real N4?"
    "Well, I have one, it's just that this one sounds and plays differently."
    "Yeah, but a real N4 would sound better, and the pickup switch wouldn't get in your way."
    "Actually, the pickup switch is exactly where I want it, because I built it for my....ah, what's the point? Yeah, you're right, and I'm just stupid for having this one. Can I buy you a drink as an apology?"

Le. Sigh.
    <space for hire>
  •  Spectre Media used to do a T-shirt with something like "Using 40 amp sims doesn't make you cool it makes you an asshole" D 

I have an approach to gear I'm going to start calling "the penis principle".

It's good to have, and it's nice to be able to be proud of it. It's important to know what to do with it. Using it to bring yourself pleasure is good, but it's even better if at least one other person is enjoying it too. 

It's not worth comparing yours to other people's. Not everybody will be as impressed with yours as you are. There's a time and a place for showing off what yours looks like and what you can do with it.

On the internet you will find pictures of one dude who's bigger in that department than you ever thought possible, but you can be sure he has very limited opportunities to use all that.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    As a bassist - no one notices me or cares.

The only thing that bothers me about other players is when it's an average pub and some eijit has set up a 100 Plexi with a couple of 4x12s.

Unless I see a good attenuator I'm not staying to have my hearing destroyed.
    Pete Docherty did that in a friends pub (also his manager at the time). It was louder than the PA and sounded awful.