Blu Ray Player Not Playing Blu Rays

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
That's about it, really - got a not particularly old Panasonic Blu Ray (cheapo home cinema thing, with half a dozen speakers plugged in the back, sub woofer etc) that has decided to spontaneously stop recognizing disks - displays a message such as "format not compatible".

It's always been a bit iffy, one day recognizing a disk, the next day not.  I've stuck a cleaning disk in it a couple of times, which normally works, but nothing now.  

Firmware looks all up to date.  It's not expensive, and I can replace it, but I wondered if there's a trick to get this sort of thing working?
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    I've had similar with mine. Short of continuously ejecting and inserting the disc until it finally works, I have no other solution than to invest in a new one.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    edited January 2019
    Can you get to the lens? You might be able to give it a clean with a soft brush or a cloth, that sometimes works. I resurrected my mum's ancient CD player that way last week. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    boogieman said:
    Can you get to the lens? You might be able to give it a clean with a soft brush or a cloth, that sometimes works. I resurrected my mum's ancient CD player that way last week. 
    /\ This.

Sometimes a good blow in the slot (stop sniggering at the back), can dislodge a piece of lint or fluff enough to make a difference. No guarantees of course.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited January 2019
    Hate to say it but I get through a BluRay player (admittedly used a lot) about once every 2-2.5 years. The lasers lose their tracking ability and the newer the disc the less it will track it. It won’t be a firmware problem. It won’t be a ‘dust’ problem. It will be ‘it’s time to get a new one’ problem.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71962
    It's downgraded itself to a DVD player in preparation for Brexit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM said:
    It's downgraded itself to a DVD player in preparation for Brexit.

That's far too modern for Jacob Rees-Mogg's vision of Britain.

Related image

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom