Small power amp

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
currently using my Helix via the fx loop of my engl ironball in to a cab rather than using my dxr10 and really like the sound of it, but looking for a more compact alternative

have a mooer baby bomb too which is ok

the alternatives for a small light power amp seem to be either rack mounted, silly expensive like a camplifier or shit like the isp one, the mooer tube baby looks ok but is hardly any smaller than my engl

any options out there for a small, light power amp, valve or solid state that’s a step up from the baby bomb?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Duncan Powerstage 170?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2019
    Quilter do a pedal sized amp...

https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/quilter-microblock-45-amp.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh6Xp8snh3wIVirztCh2PFw1wEAQYASABEgIW5fD_BwE

Or you could use the FX return of one of the bigger (yet still small) Quilter heads... 101 or OD200 for example.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Cheers Guys.

the SD powerstage seems an awful lot of Money for what it is, the quilter looks only a marginal improvement on the baby bomb, may look st the quilter heads.  Also tried a DV Mark micro, was ok as a power amp, but an awful amp on its own so seemed a bit of a waste
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26460
    edited January 2019
    There's the Mooer Tube Engine...?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mooer_tube_engine.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1NbhBRCBARIsAKOTmUtNsKydH4qJmMmfb2WtGuEf6qWpJxHzHJtPYeRTFTLmxcASSgTkoOQaAs4rEALw_wcB

The Camplifier GAB is a bit more expensive, but smaller.

Irony of ironies, you can get a Jet City JCA22H and just not use the preamp for much less, and the JCA20HV for even less than that.

Alternatively, there's a Rocktron Velocity 300 in a 2U rack that'll be light and loud enough in the Classifieds for £100. Bit of a bargain, that.
    <space for hire>
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    EHX .44 Magnum or Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. I have both and they're both excellent with my Helix!
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited January 2019
    Imagine this one pairs with Hotone's version of the helix, Ampero, that's launching at Namm...
    http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/Nano_Legacy_Floor/Nano_Legacy_Floor/2018/0606/278.html

Their new stuff looks a step up from dinky pedals. 
    The Hotone, looks like a magnum in a box, with an external psu, the tube engine is not much smaller than my Engl, and as said, expensive for what it is

Dont really want to go rack mounted

@ben is the powerstage much better than the ehx?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    Clean flat bass amp.

like the TeacAmp I’m selling....

only 2.1 lb.

Not much bigger than a book.
  • John_A said:
    The Hotone, looks like a magnum in a box, with an external psu, the tube engine is not much smaller than my Engl, and as said, expensive for what it is

To be fair, I don't think the Tube Engine is expensive for what it is - a good, lightweight valve power amp. That said, it's obviously expensive for what you want :)

What bugs me about all the pedal-sized power amps is that they're rated for max power at 4 ohms, where almost nobody in the guitar world uses a 4 ohm cab; 8 ohm is the minimum, really, and they all deliver half the power in that situation.
    <space for hire>
    John_A said:

To be fair, I don't think the Tube Engine is expensive for what it is - a good, lightweight valve power amp. That said, it's obviously expensive for what you want :)

What bugs me about all the pedal-sized power amps is that they're rated for max power at 4 ohms, where almost nobody in the guitar world uses a 4 ohm cab; 8 ohm is the minimum, really, and they all deliver half the power in that situation.
    TBH it’s the size of the Mooer that stops me from getting one, it’s the same length and width as my engl, only a bit lower in height, as said a jet city is a lot more for your money which makes it appear expensive.  What I want is a powerstage for £150 ;)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2019
    There’s a Crate Powerblock in the classifieds if you’re looking for a cheaper solution.
  • My current setup for playing out with an electric is an HX FX into an AMP1. I’m also experimenting with an acoustic into it and sending the HX output to the effects return of the AMP1. The signal bypasses the preamps but goes through the nanotube before hitting the class D power amp. Small, light, loud. 
    edited January 2019
    simonk said:
    There’s a Crate Powerblock in the classifieds if you’re looking for a cheaper solution.
    Had one a while ago, and ant impressed, not really looking for cheap, small, quality and value for what it is is priority

My current setup for playing out with an electric is an HX FX into an AMP1. I’m also experimenting with an acoustic into it and sending the HX output to the effects return of the AMP1. The signal bypasses the preamps but goes through the nanotube before hitting the class D power amp. Small, light, loud. 
    Sounds great, but bit overkill for my needs

Sorry I'm being a pain   Wish Matrix or Palmer would do a mono amp half the size of the 19" rack
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    Thinking outside the box? Look at CPC/Farnell. They do a range of cheap power amps. You will not get away from "max power into 4R" Physics mate.

Dave.
    ecc83 said:
    Thinking outside the box? Look at CPC/Farnell. They do a range of cheap power amps. You will not get away from "max power into 4R" Physics mate.

Dave.
    Been there done that :)  There somethink like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/monacor/pa-702/70w-pa-amplifier/dp/DP26108?st=amplifier mono which is really not suitable all the I/O isnt really guitarist friendly

• ecc83 said:

Dave.
    There are a number of amps which cater for max power at 8R - the Camplifier GAB 180, my Rocktron Velocity 120...

...and this one, which probably doesn't meet the OP's cost criterion, but looks interesting nonetheless:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/orange-pedal-baby-100-amp-head#product-details
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    John_A said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

https://cpc.farnell.com/monacor/pa-702/70w-pa-amplifier/dp/DP26108?st=amplifier mono which is really not suitable all the I/O isnt really guitarist friendly

In what way unfriendly? Yes you might need to make up a special lead or two but the transformer OP stage means you get full power into 8 Ohms.

Dave.
    ecc83 said:
    John_A said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

In what way unfriendly? Yes you might need to make up a special lead or two but the transformer OP stage means you get full power into 8 Ohms.

Dave.
    Exactly that - RCA ins and crimp outs are a pain for setting up
    ecc83 said:

Dave.
    There are a number of amps which cater for max power at 8R - the Camplifier GAB 180, my Rocktron Velocity 120...

...and this one, which probably doesn't meet the OP's cost criterion, but looks interesting nonetheless:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/orange-pedal-baby-100-amp-head#product-details
    Think you may be on to something there :)  That's a new one on me, off to investigate
  • @John_A - really? I thought it'd be a bit expensive. To be honest, I doubt that it's massively louder than the 20W Mooer Tube Engine. With that said, the lack of glass bottles is a definite plus in the Orange's column.

I'd have thought @ecc83 would be all over it, given that it appears to be a proper Class A/B amp designed for guitars. Having the tone stack disengage with both controls at noon is also a nice touch.

I suppose it depends on when they're actually available to buy. I get quite tired of vapourware these days.
    <space for hire>