Anyone ordered a Custom Shop Fender?

What's Hot
KylefKylef Frets: 1042
Want to invest in a decent Strat, and prepared to go Custom Shop. Problem is I’d prefer vintage correct specs, ie 7.25” radius etc, and rarely find one ready to buy. 

Has snyone ordered a Custom Shop Fender through a dealer? What sort of price am I looking at for a NOS 62 type Strat? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Calling @guitars4you ;
  • I ordered a custom shop tele through Anderson's about 2 years ago, based on an early 60s model. It cost me about £2199 at the time but I think prices have inflated since then and you're probably looking at around £3000. Download the custom shop spec sheet from the fender site, fill it in and email it to a dealer. They'll likely have a response for you in a few days.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Hi 'Kylef - Any of the Custom Shop dealers in the UK can help you with this process - Coda Music - Peach Guitars - Guitar Village - Guitar Guitar and ourselves for starters

Easy bit first and that is around 6 months delivery time from order

Secondly - price will depend on the spec - But very little change now from £3200-3500 based on 2019 price list

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/how-to-order/ - will help you a bit

As far as spec goes - Not sure if you have a full detailed option list in mind or are a bit vague at this stage - If a bit vague then I'm not sure the above link will help as maybe to many options to go through - No problem with a 7.25" radius, or indeed a 62 NOS spec/finish - Maybe have a look at stock listed on various web sites for ideas - If you find a guitar you like, but want to change the colour, age to NOS and radius from 9.5" to 7.25" then obtain the model number or better still the serial number of that guitar - Fender will have the serial number on record, hence the full spec sheet, so with the changes you require they can adjust and quote accordingly

Hope this makes sense without turning it into a War n Peace novel

If you know the exact spec, down to the nth degree then no problem

All such dealers have ordered such guitars for their own stock, as well as for customers so no problem to help further

I think you will be lucky to find a 7.25" radius 62 NOS Strat in stock on a dealers wall - closest I have is https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5600-fender-custom-shop-vintage-custom-1959-strat-3-tone-chocolate-sunburst/ - But not exactly the same

Any questions just ask - Mark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    Thanks - just trying to get there as quick as I could - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Kylef said:
    Want to invest in a decent Strat, and prepared to go Custom Shop. Problem is I’d prefer vintage correct specs, ie 7.25” radius etc, and rarely find one ready to buy. 

Has snyone ordered a Custom Shop Fender through a dealer? What sort of price am I looking at for a NOS 62 type Strat? 
    It's (thankfully) very rare to find a Custom Shop Strat these days with a 7.25" radius. However, a lot of the older Custom Shop Strats that you'll find on eBay have this radius, and they should cost less than newer models as a result.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    Kylef said:

It's (thankfully) very rare to find a Custom Shop Strat these days with a 7.25" radius. However, a lot of the older Custom Shop Strats that you'll find on eBay have this radius, and they should cost less than newer models as a result.
    valid point - many have 'bland' pick-ups but easy to upgrade and spec'd with mini/vintage frets - Shop carefully though as some early Custom Shop models are bland and lack any 'tonal' character - In-fact a few early examples I've seen are no better than a USA Vintage Reissue from the production shop - As an overview, the custom Shop team have upped the anti over the last 10 years or so
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I did this but long time ago. It was a seriously impressive process and their comms (for the time) were amazing and they made you feel pretty special. Ronnie del Pena was the Sales Co-ordintator and he's as passionate as I was. Nice experience.

I had visited the factory too, when it was in the old place in Corona. 1996.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

I think you will be lucky to find a 7.25" radius 62 NOS Strat in stock on a dealers wall - closest I have is https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5600-fender-custom-shop-vintage-custom-1959-strat-3-tone-chocolate-sunburst/ - But not exactly the same

Any questions just ask - Mark

I've got a Strat I'm very happy with, but if I was after a Strat, a 7.25" radius NOS would be what I would be looking at.

If I was looking now, I must say I'd seriously consider the PRS Silver Sky - especially as it seems to be impossible to get a Fender in that spec without custom ordering from the Custom Shop.

tFB Trader
    By the way - ALL Fender Custom Shop Guitars are now custom ordered - Fender no longer carry any stock in the USA, EU or UK warehouse , or any other warehouse

So from now on-wards, all stock on a dealers wall will either be :- 

Created from the 'Custom Shop Spec Sheet' - http://www.fendercustomshop.com/how-to-order/

Ordered via the models available and listed as part of the 2019  Collection

Ordered via Limited Edition runs as per the NAMM Show etc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can anyone tell me what happens if you orde a Fender Custom Shop guitar and it arrives made to your spec but sounds rubbish, do you get to return it for a refund?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I ordered a CS Strat through Coda a few years ago.  It was easy, just sat down with Doug and talked through the options.  I think it's good to actually visit a CS dealer and try a few guitars - different neck shapes, pickups etc - if you don't already know exactly what you want.

It cost about £2,700 at the time but it's increased a fair bit now as Mark has indicated.  Not cheap of course, but I was surprised I could order to my own specs for essentially the same price as a new off-the-shelf guitar.  There are probably options which would bump up the price, but you're largely selecting from a list of options which are quite different but cost pretty much the same.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Can anyone tell me what happens if you orde a Fender Custom Shop guitar and it arrives made to your spec but sounds rubbish, do you get to return it for a refund?
    The law says no. 
    tFB Trader
    Can anyone tell me what happens if you order a Fender Custom Shop guitar and it arrives made to your spec but sounds rubbish, do you get to return it for a refund?
    Easy answer is No - That is the down side of a 'built from scratch' custom order

A deposit would be required at the point of order, which is normal procedure - I dare say if you went to collect it from the dealer and found out at this stage it is the right spec, but you don't like it regarding feel, tone etc, then it would be hard for a dealer to enforce the balance to be paid - However they would be allowed to keep the guitar and the deposit 

Appreciate that at the point of order, you are 'creating a dream' or a 'potential dream' - I would agree that it is possible that on arrival you might not actually like the way it feels, sounds or plays, even if the spec is spot on as per your request - But you would not actually be getting a 'rubbish' guitar
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    edited January 2019
    I was just wondering really. I've built partscasters that have parts just the way I like them etc but have ended up not playing and feeling great. Just because it costs loads more for Fender to build you a custom guitar doesn't mean you're going to bond with it, it's a lot of money to lose if it doesn't work out. Each to their own though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I was just wondering really. I've built partscasters that have parts just the way I like them etc but have ended up not playing and feeling great. Just because it costs loads more for Fender to build you a custom guitar doesn't mean you're going to bond with it, it's a lot of money to lose if it doesn't work out. Each to their own though.
    Agree. If I had or ever have the money to get a Fender custom shop guitar (would be a Strat), I'd never want to risk buying something that I couldn't try/play first. Think I would have to spend time trying out off the shelf /2nd hand models, although that would probably be a task as I'd want a NOS with proper (7.25") radius.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Brize said:
    Kylef said:

valid point - many have 'bland' pick-ups but easy to upgrade and spec'd with mini/vintage frets - Shop carefully though as some early Custom Shop models are bland and lack any 'tonal' character - In-fact a few early examples I've seen are no better than a USA Vintage Reissue from the production shop - As an overview, the custom Shop team have upped the anti over the last 10 years or so
    Never cared for the guitars from 1999 till about 2005.....now those were bland sounding guitars. Tried and unfortunately owned quite a few that were less than great. Thought the pickups in the 90's were a lot better. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    If you want nos and a 7.25 radius, don’t rule out a 62 AVRI etc. 

Stunning instruments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    I agree with @terada all the last series of American Vintage Strats I played were just as good as custom shop ones if you could put up with vintage radius/frets and non relic finish. If you actually want those vintage features it’s a no brainier to save the money in my opinion.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited January 2019
    Might be worth putting up a Wanted add on here and see what comes out of the woodwork? 7.25" is not as desirable. If you custom order one with 7.25 and you don't like it, it's gonna be a pretty bad outcome.