New Orange Pedal Baby 100 - power amp for pedals and modellers...

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2331
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    I may be tempted to try this out with my S&K VHD preamp distortion.

What difference does it make being Class A/B instead of Class D or whatever?
  • The Andertons demo...

To be honest, neither of the demo videos sound particularly good to me. I was interested, but unless I hear something significantly better than both of them...I'm out.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    I want to hear it with a Helix - by someone who actually uses a Helix all the time.

And into a familiar cab like a Marshall 4x12 or a Recto.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    Dopesick said:

What difference does it make being Class A/B instead of Class D or whatever?
    Explained in this video. Essentially it allows for more power @16 ohms than a class D amp would. So better when using borrowed Orange/Marshall backline cabs that are mostly 16 ohms.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Revival Drive + Pedal Baby + Barefaced GX - now there's a compact and flexible rig!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Hope this is the start of similar stuff from other manufacturers 
  • Interesting...I was kind of looking for something in a 1U rack format, since I am mainly using the GSP1101 these days but the price of this is pretty good and if the A/B does indeed sound better than D then it might be a good option.

I've always felt that a tube power stage really warms things up a lot and generally sounds nicer - it would be good if this was a lot closer to that kind of sound.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I... if the A/B does indeed sound better than D then it might be a good option.

I've always felt that a tube power stage really warms things up a lot and generally sounds nicer - it would be good if this was a lot closer to that kind of sound.
    In the world of bass, old-school Class A/B solid state amps get a lot of love, and are widely considered to deliver more 'heft' than Class D - whereas valve power amps are venerated as the kings of 'heft'! Many an hour has been spent debating this...
  • I managed to hear one first hand and they do exactly what they say on the tin. It's very much a "make-louder" device and has no real refinement or character tone of it's own. With a really nice amp-in-a-box type pedal though, or pedal-based preamp, I'm sure it might be able to sound nice. It felt like to get the best out of it, you'd want to buy a valve preamp or pedal, at which point it'd be cheaper to just buy a different amp.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    edited January 2019
    The videos so far have been less than inspiring and they all seem to have that loud practice amp sheen to them, kind of like the Laney Hardcore series or those old Torque amps. 

If i was r&d at orange, i would have taken the power section from the dark terror and put that into a small box, that would have been far more desirable and probably an even smaller footprint! I think with the pedal baby they've really missed the mark, because the technology used is not desirable enough and just doesn't sound good enough for the asking price. 

It'll probably be more desirable for bass and keys, especially if its loud, but from what i've seen and heard so far, its just some very unfocused r&d. That long haired rocker guy, despite being the designer, should never speak in public.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So it’s a Crate power block in an Orange box, basically? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    So it’s a Crate power block in an Orange box, basically? 
    Yeah, they sounded shit too!