Small power amp

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Not too bothered about the price, but maybe it's a bit too big. Happy to pay whatever for something that's just right, actually coming round to the powerstage 170, the mooer is just a bit too big, hardly smaller than my engl, the ISP sounds shit, the DV Mark micro was OK as a power amp, but he amp was so awful I'd never use it so it seemed silly keeping it, maybe I should try the DV Mark GH250?

Have a Palmer Macht that sounds great and I paid £150 for it, it's just the wrong format, trying to keep things compact
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Just get the damn PowerStage already! £299 at GAK... and that seems reasonable value if it does exactly what you want, has an abundance of positive reviews and a proven track record.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    simonk said:
    Just get the damn PowerStage already! £299 at GAK... and that seems reasonable value if it does exactly what you want, has an abundance of positive reviews and a proven track record.
    Yes, suppose you’re right ;)
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    The new Orange Pedal Baby being launched at NAMM might be worth a look, £299 pre-order at Peach - http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/guitar-amps/orange-pedal-baby-100.htm
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    I don't understand why Blackstar don't put one of their ID 60 modules in a "lunch box"? They have proved I think to be pretty bomb proof?
    RCAs? Nukies do some very nice HD ones. Personally I would build a wee breakout box and Velcro it on the top of that CPC amp.

Dave.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23965
    Musicradar have the Baby 100 release info too

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2019-orange-unveils-pedal-baby-100-power-amp-and-tremlord-30-combo

That does look interesting. Makes sense too as SD seem to be selling a lot of the Powerstage amps.

Really need stereo options though - or dual mono so half can be turned off completely for mono rigs.
  • And just like that, Andertons put their demo out...

No thanks. Either they proper screwed the pooch when it comes to setting it up (even when they went for the preamps instead of distortion pedals later on), or it naturally sounds terrible.

I'm actually leaning towards the latter, because the powered Kemper sounded pretty decent with the exact same mic setup, and the Orange was still shit.
    <space for hire>
    edited January 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCTPLCFLp8I

The Orange demo sounds better than the Andertons one. Still not great though.
  • OK, so the Orange demo sounded a bit better, but still nowhere near what I'd call usable (for my purposes anyway).
    <space for hire>
    The fact that it sounded best without a preamp pedal at all in the Orange demo worries me.

That's not a flat amp for modeller use!
    ecc83 said:
    I don't understand why Blackstar don't put one of their ID 60 modules in a "lunch box"? They have proved I think to be pretty bomb proof?
    RCAs? Nukies do some very nice HD ones. Personally I would build a wee breakout box and Velcro it on the top of that CPC amp.

Dave.

They'd sell at least one.  To me :)
    simonk said:

They're 299 'cause they're out of stock :(
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    edited January 2019
    John_A said:
    The Hotone, looks like a magnum in a box, with an external psu, the tube engine is not much smaller than my Engl, and as said, expensive for what it is

Dont really want to go rack mounted

@ben is the powerstage much better than the ehx?
    To be honest, the EHX is great. The only reason I got the Powerstage 170 was that the wife wanted to get me something for Christmas, and I settled for that (plus it was £269 thanks to a 10% off eBay code).

That being said, I love the fact that the Powerstage uses a regular kettle lead. I'd be pretty pissed off if the external power supply of the EHX died on me before a gig and had to look for a replacement on the spot...
    Yes, don’t like external psu’s They’re a pain 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom