EBAY fun times

What's Hot
english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
edited January 2019 in Off Topic
Hmm.

So this happened. I found a Buy It Now auction for a thing I'd been after at a very reasonable (but not stupidly cheap) price, so I bought it.

A few minutes later I get a message from the seller saying "oh dear, I didn't mean to make it a Buy It Now sale, but start an auction".

Oh dear indeed. Seller man's feedback is all as a buyer to date, so it might well be a genuine mistake.

From a quick look at eBay's help pages, it looks like his only options are to go ahead with the sale and chalk it up to experience or to try to cancel the sale and eat the negative feedback. The baser part of my nature says "it sucks to be you, send me my thing", but I wonder if there's any other way to resolve this where I get my thing and matey boy doesn't feel like he got a raw deal? (He didn't anyway, IMO).

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Why would he get negative feedback? Sounds like a genuine mistake?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would imagine that his buying has been a mixture of auction wins and BIN.  If I remember correctly, "Auction" is the default when you list something for sale and you have to click something to change to BIN (may be wrong ?).  If it takes a positive action to select a BIN sale then he's at it in my opinion.
    I'm sure it is, but cancelling a sale because you didn't make as much as you wanted is kinda crappy.

Having checked recent completed listings, what I paid is about in line with what other listings ended at. It's not like I got his house for 99p.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Why would he intentionally list it as BIN if he didn’t in fact want to sell it at the BIN price? I’m not sure why you think there is something dishonest going on. Am I missing something? 
    I'm sure it is, but cancelling a sale because you didn't make as much as you wanted is kinda crappy.

Having checked recent completed listings, what I paid is about in line with what other listings ended at. It's not like I got his house for 99p.
    How is it any different from buying something from an online shop and them messaging to say “sorry the item was listed by mistake, we’ll refund you now”? Okay, it’s annoying but you’re not out of pocket. Sounds like you’re trying to take advantage of his mistake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Why would he intentionally list it as BIN if he didn’t in fact want to sell it at the BIN price? I’m not sure why you think there is something dishonest going on. Am I missing something? 
    I don't think he's being dishonest, just inexperienced and slightly unlucky.

I think he's somehow managed to set up the auction wrong (first time seller by the looks of it) and might now be looking for a way out of selling at what he considers a low price. I'm less sympathetic having looked at completed listings than I was before, but this thread is just me wondering how to proceed in a way that ends with me getting my item and Seller McSellerson not feeling like he screwed himself.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

How is it any different from buying something from an online shop and them messaging to say “sorry the item was listed by mistake, we’ll refund you now”? Okay, it’s annoying but you’re not out of pocket. Sounds like you’re trying to take advantage of his mistake.
    If the BIN price had been ludicrously low I'd agree, but it isn't. It's right about where all the other recent listings have ended.

• I repeat....he selected BIN when listing. i.e he rejected auction as the format.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ask him what price he'd be happy with and if you're happy with it too bung him an extra couple of quid. Everyone's a winner!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ask him what price he'd be happy with and if you're happy with it too bung him an extra couple of quid. Everyone's a winner!
    Not a bad idea. So far I've said:

I don't really know what you want me to do about the situation. What do you suggest?

All the recent auctions have ended at around the BIN price I paid. I'd quite like to have what I paid for at the price I paid, but open to suggestions.

We'll see what happens. 

FWIW I reckon what he's charged for postage is going to leave him out of pocket there too, but let's not go there.

• I repeat....he selected BIN when listing. i.e he rejected auction as the format.
    Yep. I imagine he's a first time seller who got a bit confused about the options. On the other hand, it's been a long time since I sold anything on eBay, but I remember there being plenty of opportunities to confirm the details of your ad before it went live. 

Yep. I imagine he's a first time seller who got a bit confused about the options. On the other hand, it's been a long time since I sold anything on eBay, but I remember there being plenty of opportunities to confirm the details of your ad before it went live. 
    Quite....you can preview before listing.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    Remember - what goes around, comes around.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I made some terrible mistakes when I first started selling,  I  can understand how someone could do so and would hope for some sympathy. 
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Remember - what goes around, comes around.
    I made some terrible mistakes when I first started selling,  I  can understand how someone could do so and would hope for some sympathy. 
    Exactly, hence the post. I'm hoping someone can see a way to square the circle between:

1. Seller McSellerson thinks he's lost out on the price he should have got by listing his thing the way he did.

2. I sympathise. If it were me I'd want the most money for my thing too.

3. I'm not sure he's come out as badly as he thinks.

4. I would have been willing to pay more for the thing than I did, but I certainly don't feel like I robbed anyone at the price I paid.

5. None of this is my fault and I want my thing.

For reference, the highest sold listing on eBay for the thing is £25 more than his and £50 less than I can buy a new one, the lowest are maybe £50 less than his.

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    I'd find a way to refund him, go away with the warm glow, and buy one in another auction if the price is not uncommon.
  • I recently listed stuff on ebay and accidentally set it to best offer - which was a pain, because someone basically screwed me for it. I have not sold for a while so funds won't be released until I get the positive feedback/proof it arrived etc.

I also found you can do auction + best offer. To me, this means start bid as normal and best offers *above* that if someone wants to end the bidding early. I got loads of offers below the start bid and some people getting quite narked over the whole thing - it was clearly bid or best offer, not buy it now or best offer. 

Meh. Live and learn. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Why would he intentionally list it as BIN if he didn’t in fact want to sell it at the BIN price? I’m not sure why you think there is something dishonest going on. Am I missing something? 

I think he's somehow managed to set up the auction wrong (first time seller by the looks of it) and might now be looking for a way out of selling at what he considers a low price. I'm less sympathetic having looked at completed listings than I was before, but this thread is just me wondering how to proceed in a way that ends with me getting my item and Seller McSellerson not feeling like he screwed himself.
    You're being a bit of a dick here. If completed listings are so favourable then you'll be able to find another one at the same price. The only person who stands to lose, by the sounds, is the seller. I don't know why you're forcing the sale through.

If the shoe was on the other foot you wouldn't bend over and take it from a buyer, and say "oh well, I was just unlucky".
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    I once bought something for €10 which was bulky and would cost around €10 to send, but the seller had forgotten to put a charge for post and packaging. He didn’t mention it but when it came to the paypal bit I just put in €20 anyway. He was totally flabbergasted and couldn’t believe it and gave me embarrassingly nice feedback. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Bidley said:
    Why would he intentionally list it as BIN if he didn’t in fact want to sell it at the BIN price? I’m not sure why you think there is something dishonest going on. Am I missing something? 

You're being a bit of a dick here. If completed listings are so favourable then you'll be able to find another one at the same price. The only person who stands to lose, by the sounds, is the seller. I don't know why you're forcing the sale through.

If the shoe was on the other foot you wouldn't bend over and take it from a buyer, and say "oh well, I was just unlucky".
    Not sure personal insults are necessary, are they?

By the same token, with completed auctions being what they are, why waste everyone's time re-listing when it's sold for a fair price? 

I mean sure, he would have liked more, but it's not as if selling at the upper end of the range of completed listing prices is "losing".

To be clear, I haven't actually done anything yet to "force" the sale except hit "buy it now" on a perfectly legitimate eBay listing. I've asked Mr Man what he wants to do about it and haven't had a response yet.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom