Hidden Gems of Guit brands

What's Hot

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    bbill335 said:
    Gassage said:

Black: Vibrolux- just perfect for everything
    The silverface vibrolux reverb is probably the perfect guitar amp for the 21st century (and BF I guess, but collector's premium, no export model, etc). 
    Out of interest (genuinely) what makes it so perfect for the 21st century?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    GuyR said:
    Suhr Alt T Pro... with Thornbuckers...

I never ever thought my main guitar would have this kinda headstock, which Im not a fan of.

But this Suhr is an incredible, versatile and somehow vintage feeling wonder.

Liking the look of the Suhr, loving the look of the CAR Strat. Tell us more.......
    The Strat is a Masterbuilt ‘63 Jason Smith heavy relic, with gold sparkle !
    Best Strat Ive ever played by far, and has outperformed ever other Ive tried...

Genuine signed Abbys in it too...
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Mid-nineties Patrick Eggle. Soooooo resonant! 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Lowden solidbody electric. The GL-10 koa is simply amazing. +1 for a thinline tele deluxe and a Gibson Firebird (tho III, not I) too
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Suhr Alt T Pro... with Thornbuckers...

I never ever thought my main guitar would have this kinda headstock, which Im not a fan of.

Love the look of that Suhr Warren. Big fan of the thornbuckers too 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Ibanez SZ. Didn't really take off but they were very solid and great sounding guitars for not a lot of money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Suhr Alt T Pro... with Thornbuckers...

I agree about the Alt T Pro. I would not have considered a Suhr at all until @koss59 ; suggested the Alt T Pro.  I have owned a few teles from an original '73 to custom shop. I think the Suhr is better. I am torn. I would love another Fender but would have to search a long time to find one as good as the Suhr. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    My Angry Angus Strat is lovely and I’ve got a Navigator Goldtop P90 Les Paul which is great too. I think Navigator are a branch of ESP. :)
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    Reverend Spacehawk.

Not a guitar I would've rushed to buy based on looks - though I have warmed to it's 60s Burns-esque charm. But the spec's fit so well: six-a-side tuners help keep the tuning stable; ebony board with dot inlays; large, resonant, chambered body, but light weight and incredibly comfortable thanks to the contour; and amazingly versatile, thanks to the bass contour and phase switch. Plus I really love the Railhammer pickups.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    Ibanez RG560.

Amazing guitars and not as popular as 550s.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    DeeTee said:
    bbill335 said:
    Gassage said:

The silverface vibrolux reverb is probably the perfect guitar amp for the 21st century (and BF I guess, but collector's premium, no export model, etc). 
    Small/light - really similar to a Deluxe Reverb
    excellent built-in reverb... and tremolo

it's big enough for small-ish/medium rooms unmic'd and driven a bit hard, but also sounds great at conservative volumes. the 2x10 open back format really throws the sound around. 

I don't know if it's to do with having slightly smaller transformers than Super/Pro reverb but it sounds like a bigger version of a smaller 6v6 amp (like a Princeton), despite running on 6L6s. Someone more technically-aware might be able to explain that (or tell me I'm imagining it). 

there'll always be players that want nothing less than a Twin/4x12/50+ watts of pure clean, but I feel like my vibrolux could handle any gig for blues/RnR/jazz/country/funk kind of things. I dunno how the 68 custom "reissue" compares in terms of sound/weight but iirc it has chassis-mount valve sockets which seems smart.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    The guitar you have.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTee said:
    bbill335 said:
    Gassage said:

If it's for any of the same reasons as I like mine, probably because it's at a nice balance of blackface/silverface headroom versus usable volume. The DR can be a bit too crunchy with a loud drummer, but the VL sits right on the edge at gig volume and can be boosted without going too wild.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    ESP 400 Series Strats and Teles - gone but not forgotten. Possibly the first Fender copyists to realise that a 9.5” radius board makes for an infinitely better playing experience for the modern guitarist than a 7.25” radius board! 
    Totally agree with this. My 400 Tele has the best neck of all my guitars. 22 frets too. I've never checked, but it feels more like 12" than 9.5". Cue a nip into the garage to get out the radius guages.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    normula1 said:
    ESP 400 Series Strats and Teles - gone but not forgotten. Possibly the first Fender copyists to realise that a 9.5” radius board makes for an infinitely better playing experience for the modern guitarist than a 7.25” radius board! 
    Totally agree with this. My 400 Tele has the best neck of all my guitars. 22 frets too. I've never checked, but it feels more like 12" than 9.5". Cue a nip into the garage to get out the radius guages.
    I think they did do them with flatter boards in their latter days, and I forgot the 22 frets. They were ahead of their time!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Fender Machette amp maybe?  From the accounts I’ve seen, a cracking high gain amp marred by questionable product placement and Identity.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    mgaw said:
    surprised at these recent arrivals chez Mgaw

Bognor Duende 1x10 combo   tweed deluxey ish   very nice sounding amp

Hahn 228 telecaster

liked it so much I went a bought

Hahn 229 Stratocaster

fantastically smooth necks, great pickups all in all a very happy chappie 

How does Hahn Tele differ from K-line Truxton & Novo T you used to have?

Got a bit of a thing for Tele's.
  • HAL9000 said:
    Fender’s hidden gem is the Squier Affinity Tele. Cheap as chips, fast comfortable neck, and more Tele ‘spank’ than many of their more expensive offerings.

Not tried one, but the Squier Bullet Mustang also seems to get a lot of love in these parts.
    On a similar theme, my Squier Contemporary Active Strat is great: the neck is very similar to my Charvel, build quality is fantastic and the Floyd Rose, although I think it's only a licensed version (I say that because it doesn't actually say 'licensed' anywhere on it) works perfectly. They're currently £336 from Andertons, which is about half the price of a Charvel So-Cal
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    wesker123 said:
    mgaw said:
    surprised at these recent arrivals chez Mgaw

Bognor Duende 1x10 combo   tweed deluxey ish   very nice sounding amp

Hahn 228 telecaster

liked it so much I went a bought

Hahn 229 Stratocaster

fantastically smooth necks, great pickups all in all a very happy chappie 

How does Hahn Tele differ from K-line Truxton & Novo T you used to have?

Got a bit of a thing for Tele's.
    @wesker123   I prefer the neck carve to the others   compound radius as well 71/4 - 9.5  which I didn't realise was my ideal neck :)  pickups super clear, all the others are great this one is the current favourite
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    miserneil said:
    Epiphone Coronet: 

This, all day long. I tech for a chap who has an original 60s twin pickup model in that lovely greeny Silver Fox finish and it's one of the best sounding guitars I've had my hands on. Really, really good. Don't see a lot of them about. Absolutely sings.