EBAY fun times

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    It’s not difficult. He made a mistake. He can if he wants now claim the items broken and wouldn’t have to sell and you couldn’t leave him negative feedback (that would be a dick move in this situation anyway). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Yep, I would cancel the sale and say "bad luck" :)

But to be fair it doesn't sound like the seller is au fait with eBay mechanics. I sympathise, it seems to change every few months.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    I'm with @english_bob here tbh. The seller apparently made a mistake (whether true or not) but if the item hasn't sold significantly below its market value then he should just honour it and learn a lesson. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I repeat....he selected BIN when listing. i.e he rejected auction as the format.
    And what do you suppose was the purpose of this nefarious plan?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm surprised at the lack of support for @English_bob, given that there are daily threads on tFB mocking eBay listings. 

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    And this is just another reason why I don't bother with eBay any more.

OP has done nothing wrong yet at least one person is calling him a dick. Sure the guy making the listing may have made a genuine mistake but back when I were a lad that was called a learning experience. We never had the snowflake police to leap in interject.

OP has even contacted the seller asking for options rather than immediately trying to force the sale through. Yet we still have the issue that eBay sales are binding except when they are not which turns out to be every single time with all the loopholes in how it works.

The whole platform is not fit for purpose any more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    As a seller or owner of the item it’s his to do with as he pleases. The guys been up front and said sorry my mistake didn’t mean it to be a buy it now listing. I’m assuming he’s given the buyer a refund so no ones out of pocket. The notion that this should be a learning experience for the seller and he’s duty bound to honour the sale baffles me. 
  • Snowflake police? Jesus here we go. 
  • Mr Seller has replied - he’s going to honour the price. Good for him.

Once it's all gone through I'll probably sling him an extra tenner or something PPG as a goodwill gesture.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Mr Seller has replied - he’s going to honour the price. Good for him.

Once it's all gone through I'll probably sling him an extra tenner or something PPG as a goodwill gesture.
    Good on you. Frankly I don’t see why you’re getting all the flak here, you’ve done nothing wrong. The seller could even have got a lower price if he’d gone through with an auction. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mr Seller has replied - he’s going to honour the price. Good for him.

Fair play to the seller and I'm glad you got sorted.  I also have no idea why you were getting flack on here given some of the attitudes on other areas of the forum to eBay listings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I try to sell everything BIN on ebay, cant remember the numbers off hand but eBay take a much lower cut on BIN sales.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    He told you he made a mistake, you highlighted that you could get that price elsewhere easily enough, and you know it was his first time selling. There doesn't seem like there's been any real detriment to you, so whilst you've the option of leaving bad feedback it doesn't seem necessary. At all.
  • DefaultM said:
    He told you he made a mistake, you highlighted that you could get that price elsewhere easily enough, and you know it was his first time selling. There doesn't seem like there's been any real detriment to you, so whilst you've the option of leaving bad feedback it doesn't seem necessary. At all.
    I won't. I only mentioned it as an option if things got silly. Making a mistake but owning it and dealing with it is all positive in my book.

If I didn't think there was a "moral dilemma" element to this I probably wouldn't have started the thread.

edited January 2019
    No ones giving flak. Buyer hasn’t given negative feedback, I only mentioned that wouldn’t be a nice thing to do. 

Its good  that it’s all sorted. 
    If eBay autorelist they add buy it now or best offer automatically. 
    Has it been relisted?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebob said:
    No ones giving flak. Buyer hasn’t given negative feedback, I only mentioned that wouldn’t be a nice thing to do. 

Has it been relisted?
    Nope. Sale is going ahead.

grungebob said:

Has it been relisted?
    Nope. Sale is going ahead.
    No sorry. Had it been listed once before you bought it and eBay autorelisted and added the BIN function. They’ve just done so on my listings also which made me think similar may of happened here?
  • Oh, I see. I don't think so. Last night was the first time I'd seen that listing.

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    grungebob said:
    As a seller or owner of the item it’s his to do with as he pleases. The guys been up front and said sorry my mistake didn’t mean it to be a buy it now listing. I’m assuming he’s given the buyer a refund so no ones out of pocket. The notion that this should be a learning experience for the seller and he’s duty bound to honour the sale baffles me. 
    I guess I'm in the minority (again) but I don't agree here.

Once the sale is agreed then it's not really his item any more.  In my mind it's not right for him to decide not to sell it based on his mistake.  I have no axe to grind against the seller here.  

A few years ago I got rid of some stuff on Ebay and didn't really think about postage.  Someone bought the stuff and after buying a big enough box and packing material, packing it up and taking it to the post office to be shipped from the UK to Ireland I was quite shocked about the cost.  Can't remember the exact details but a combination of the size and weight of the box plus the destination made it very expensive.  Essentially all the money I got from the sale went on fees and shipping.  I still sent it to the bloke because I wasn't morally prepared to break the deal.

If I had been the buyer and been told "sorry mate I screwed up so the stuff you thought you bought and was looking forward to getting, yeah, forget it you will never see it just have your money back" I would not have been impressed.  So by that logic I felt that I didn't want to do that to someone else.

So I'm as baffled by your notion that having agreed to something you can back out at any time as you are by mine notion that once you enter into an agreement you should honour it.

However, it just boils down to a difference in opinion as long as we are both prepared to stick to what we believe to be right when we are on either side of the buyer/seller equation.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Paul7926 said:
    And this is just another reason why I don't bother with eBay any more.

OP has done nothing wrong yet at least one person is calling him a dick. Sure the guy making the listing may have made a genuine mistake but back when I were a lad that was called a learning experience. We never had the snowflake police to leap in interject.

OP has even contacted the seller asking for options rather than immediately trying to force the sale through. Yet we still have the issue that eBay sales are binding except when they are not which turns out to be every single time with all the loopholes in how it works.

The whole platform is not fit for purpose any more.
    Priceless!