The Answer Is Hot Rod Deluxe... Isn't It?

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
I'm thinking about a 1x12 valve combo, less than a grand, pokey enough for gigging, cause I don't want to lug Egnater Renegade head and cab around all the time. 

I love the idea of a simple, single channel amp, but I'm not wedded to that. 

Amazing, Fendery cleans is where I am, with the amp providing a little dirt, think Richard Thompson.

Research seems to be pointing me towards the HRD, which sounds like the most sensible option, doesn't it?
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    I avoided them for years because everyone else seemed to use them and of course I know better, but I grabbed a new HRD IV in the autumn and it's a really really good amp. 

I need a fair bit of gain occasionally but that's not the core of what I do, so pedals are fine for me. 

Much as I like to be contrary and plough my own furrow, some things are popular for good reason. It's a great tool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    HRD is certainly a cheap and good option. You can pick up a s/h one for £300 - £400. The dirty channel is....OK, but a dirt pedal into the clean channel sounds better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Demo the Blues Deluxe too - they are quite different.

Little bit cheaper too.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7746
    Yup. Makes sense. I had a fantastic Omega modded one which I kick myself daily for selling. Would sell a kidney to get it back....
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Makes absolute sense.

I’d still look for a secondhand Mesa Express or similar if you had up to a grand to spend though.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2019
    I'm very happy with my HRD IV. I prefer the sound to the HRDIII I had previously (which is probably largely down to the speaker) and it's slightly lighter too.  I only use the clean channel and get the crunch/dirt from pedals.

I use the HRD IV with a Blues Cube Artist live, not for the volume but to give more spread. That's a good amp too. But I prefer the cleans on the HRD IV, so I'd choose an HRD IV if I had to choose between them. Having said that, if I wanted to get some break up sound from the amp (instead of pedals), I prefer the Blues Cube for that.

It's not a competition.
    I watched Danhere and Mickhere's YT video on "how to get more from your HRD" and gave the dirty channel another go. Rolled off the treble and upped the bass on the EQ and, to be honest, it didn't sound too bad. YMMV.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Philtre said:

Danhere and Mickhere 
    Genuine lol :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I really liked the dirty channel on mine. But the cleans can be a bit hard-sounding, especially with humbuckers, and basically they are too bloody loud. Notoriously the volume goes from 'off' to 'much too loud' in the space of about 0.00005 degrees of travel.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Never really been a fan.
    I'd always take a Fender Deluxe Reverb over the HR.
    octatonic said:
    Never really been a fan.
    I'd always take a Fender Deluxe Reverb over the HR.
    I have both. I like both for what each does. The HRD is grunty, while the DR is...purer.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Stuckfast said:
    I really liked the dirty channel on mine. But the cleans can be a bit hard-sounding, especially with humbuckers, and basically they are too bloody loud. Notoriously the volume goes from 'off' to 'much too loud' in the space of about 0.00005 degrees of travel.
    But you can buy a little box for a few quid and fix that. 

The HRD is almost ubiquitous make louder box from pub gigs to big stages so I guess Fender got something right. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Stuckfast said:
    What version do you have?

My VIII volume works fine. Haven’t tried a IV. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like the right option to me. I really like the clean and am happy to use pedals for dirt.
    My only reservation about recommending them is that in my view, they are "gigging amps" and are too loud for home use for most people. I use a Roland Blues Cube at home, much better usable tone (clean and dirty) at typical home user volumes. Live, there is no contest, HRD all the way. I have the George Benson model.
    Just before christmas, I played a gig with both amps - partly so that the bass player could hear me (large stage) and partly because I could.....used a stereo delay patch to feed both amps. Trying to get a balance between both amps was interesting. I had the HRD on "3" (Clean Channel) but had to have the Blues Cube running in 85 watt mode with the Master 3/4 open in order to get anywhere close. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    I was never a fan of the HRD until @ThorpyFX got a mkIV in his bunker and that's a good sounding amplifier. It seems every wedding/function band guitarist has one and they cover a lot of ground with them. Probably a great workhorse amp.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    simonk said:
    Makes absolute sense.

I’d still look for a secondhand Mesa Express or similar if you had up to a grand to spend though.
    +1.

The HRD is a good amp, but for £1000 I'd spread the net a bit wider.

They do benefit from a speaker change though (subjectively) and you can factor that in.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    RiftAmps said:
    I was never a fan of the HRD until @ThorpyFX got a mkIV in his bunker and that's a good sounding amplifier. It seems every wedding/function band guitarist has one and they cover a lot of ground with them. Probably a great workhorse amp.
    I agree - the "wedding / function band" thing has a certain stigma attached to it but once you get over that, it's easy to understand why they sold so many. That said, if "dirt" was my core tone, I wouldn't use one.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    They are Fenders best selling combo ever!  They must have something going for them.
    In practice you can get a very usable live sound out of them easily and they are reliable and flexible. I bought mine a few years back as a backup to my vintage valve amp and because it looked shiny and new for those posh gigs. It's been a a great work horse and I'd buy another in a heart beat. I've used it live exclusivly for the last two years.
    The volume taper and speaker have been argued about all over the web, but most combos out in the wild are working for people just as they are. The George Benson model is an interesting take on the model.
    If you only play in a limited genre of music there may be more suitable options available, but for working musicians they have discovered it's a gem.

If you need convincing, buy a used one. If you don't get on with it you can flip it and get your money back. Whats not to like.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Most people do find the volume taper annoying, leading me to sell over 1000 Lion tamers in the last year 

https://reverb.com/item/9884039-fender-hot-rod-volume-module

The HRD is now my main giiging amp across 4 bands. It cost less than £400 2nd hand, sounds great, is plenty loud enough and a doddle to repair due to the vast knowledge contributed by people like ICBM and others across the web. The design does have some weak points but all in all it's a solid, reliable and well spec'ed 1 x 12"combo that gets the job done. 

I tried a few dirt pedals but settled on a Soul Food for my basic tone. the EHX Soulfood is a pretty organic overdrive into an HRD and preferable to the amps own dirt IMO BUT you can get some cool tines out the drive channel, just stay away from the more drive button
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Danny1969 said:
    Most people do find the volume taper annoying, leading me to sell over 1000 Lion tamers in the last year 

https://reverb.com/item/9884039-fender-hot-rod-volume-module

The HRD is now my main giiging amp across 4 bands. It cost less than £400 2nd hand, sounds great, is plenty loud enough and a doddle to repair due to the vast knowledge contributed by people like ICBM and others across the web. The design does have some weak points but all in all it's a solid, reliable and well spec'ed 1 x 12"combo that gets the job done. 

I tried a few dirt pedals but settled on a Soul Food for my basic tone. the EHX Soulfood is a pretty organic overdrive into an HRD and preferable to the amps own dirt IMO BUT you can get some cool tines out the drive channel, just stay away from the more drive button
    Have tried the lion tamer and can vouch that it makes an enormous difference to home usability.