Boogie Express 5.50

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926
5.50 or 5.50 plus......any love for this amp?

I think this was one of the last models right before the mark 5

Is the loop problematic in any way on these fine amps?  can one operate regular 9v floor pedals in there OK? ( carbon copy types)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    No issues with pedals in the loop of my 5:25 and I’d be astonished if the 5:50 was any different....
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • I had a 5:50 plus. Channel one was pretty great. Wonderful cleans and cool crunch. I wasn't really into the channel 2 though, I found it a bit harsh and fiddly to dial in anything I could use.

I didn't use the loop much,but I did try with a couple of pedals and don't remember any problems. 

I sold in the end and got a Mk V because I couldn't footswitch between the clean and crunch modes on the 5:50 plus.
  • sxardsxard Frets: 35
    Had a 5:25, now have a 5:50+. Fan of both (find all four modes to have good tones, though some do take a bit more effort to dial in than others) and no loop issues on either. Noticed quite a difference in how much less noisy the clean channel is on the 5:50+ compared to the 5:25, and like the eq too. Second hand, these are way more affordable than a mk V.
  • Oh, I forgot to say it's very good with pedals too. It's probably a bit of a hidden gem really, especially if you dig channel two and maybe even if you don't. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    edited January 2019

Great amp, don't think I've switched my MATAMP on since it arrived. Clean sounds really stand out and pedals work really well, but with the flick off a switch you get great drive on all channels. The only gripe is that you can only switch between two of the four available sounds but that's like going into a great cake shop buying four cakes and complaining that you can't eat your danish pastry at the same time as your french fancy. Eat one, then eat the other.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • loved mine, very well made, sounded great, just a bit heavy (as all mesas are i suppose) dead cheap 2nd hand now though. 

I swapped mine for a deluxe reverb eventually 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    Had a non plus version, great amp. Cleans and reverb were amazing, very nice crunch too and it took pedals like a champ. Mine was a 2x12 version, tad too heavy for my girly arms so I've sold it but thinking now of getting a 1x12 one.