Mixing Challenge No'5

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the clarity in the vocals on yours - I always struggle with that.  Need to learn some skills.
  • Theres something odd with compression in both mixes parts getting louder and quieter.  I thought Id over compressed on the track I submitted - but it doesnt do it on my copy, and after listening more to poopots, his track does the same think at the same points.   Must be something to do with soundcloud playback.

Of course It could be all me, and Im hearing stuff thats not there.
    @paulmapp8306 where are you hearing it? How far in to the track?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I actually notice something like that on my tracks that get uploaded to Soundcloud. They sound fine on my system but seem to suffer at the hands of Soundcloud's compression algorithms.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • @poopot ;

Normally when the bass is solo'd.  At the start the bass intro but is loud, then when the drums come in the bass drops back in volume.  Its the same in the middle part of the track.  The bass plays and slowly gets louder, then cuts drastically when the rest comes in.

It sounds like its some kind of volume monitoring/compensation.  As I said - I thought is was me messing the mix/compression up - but its not there on the original MP3 track - and your posted soundcloud clip does the same thing.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited January 2019
    It might be something to do with MP3 compression as well - Ive listened back, and the master mix direct from WAV files or my DAW dont show it at all.  The MP3 conversion shows is a little, the soundcloud version shows it even more.

Its like WAV files are compressed to MP3 (obviously) badly/drastically, then soundcloud does it again exaggerating the effect.

Might be better to deal with WAV files rather than MP3 files - Media player certainly plays them - Im pretty sure soundcloud does as well.  Id need to check.  There would be less "3rd party compression" issues is we did use WAV.

*Edit* - soundcloud does accept WAV. files.  I suggest for the mix challenges thats what we use to send/upload files.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It might be something to do with MP3 compression as well - Ive listened back, and the master mix direct from WAV files or my DAW dont show it at all.  The MP3 conversion shows is a little, the soundcloud version shows it even more.

Its like WAV files are compressed to MP3 (obviously) badly/drastically, then soundcloud does it again exaggerating the effect.

Might be better to deal with WAV files rather than MP3 files - Media player certainly plays them - Im pretty sure soundcloud does as well.  Id need to check.  There would be less "3rd party compression" issues is we did use WAV.

*Edit* - soundcloud does accept WAV. files.  I suggest for the mix challenges thats what we use to send/upload files.

Good idea ...

That would only make a difference to the file that can be downloaded.
    Soundcloud will still convert it using the algorithm it uses now for streaming. Soundcloud converts to 128k for steaming... 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited January 2019
    True - however it would take the WAV to MP3 compression out of the equation.

Its not a "big" problem - and all the mix's will suffer the same thing I think - as those solo parts are always present.   Its a little annoying though - the start as the drums come in, and the volume build and then instant cut in the middle bit.

Its only for fun though - so really doesnt matter.  Its the "OCD" in me. 
    True - however it would take the WAV to MP3 compression out of the equation.

No, the streamed version will still be a converted format regardless of what is uploaded... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @paulmapp8306 ive uploaded another version of mine bounced as 128k mp3... does that sound better? any different?
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    You'll get better results if you go from a WAV to the Soundcloud mp3, as mp3 to mp3 will be subject to transcoding which will introduce artifacts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    IMC1980 said:
    You'll get better results if you go from a WAV to the Soundcloud mp3, as mp3 to mp3 will be subject to transcoding which will introduce artifacts.
    ^^
    This.

Is it worth a try to see if it makes a difference?

Fretwired said:
    IMC1980 said:
    ^^
    This.

the only issue with this is getting the files to me... wont be able to email a WAV,
    poopot said:
    Fretwired said:
    IMC1980 said:
    ^^
    This.

the only issue with this is getting the files to me... wont be able to email a WAV,
    Dropbox or similar. Same way you got the source files to us .. :-)

Fretwired said:
    poopot said:
    Fretwired said:
    IMC1980 said:
    ^^
    This.

Dropbox or similar. Same way you got the source files to us .. :-)
    let me upload a wav of mine as I have it here... lets have a listen and compare first... 
    edited January 2019
    wav and mp3 version of my mix added to the play list for comparison... let me know peeps.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/mixing-challenge-no-5
  • Its till there.  Im at a loss.   Got to be honest - Im hearing it - though to to such a large degree, whenever I export it from my DAW.  Its not there when I play it in the DAW - but export it out and it is.  Ive tried every file type possible including FLAC with no compression.

Hey ho. 
    edited January 2019
    Its till there.  Im at a loss.   Got to be honest - Im hearing it - though to to such a large degree, whenever I export it from my DAW.  Its not there when I play it in the DAW - but export it out and it is.  Ive tried every file type possible including FLAC with no compression.

Hey ho. 
    Download my wav and see if it’s there!