Bluesbreaker 1962/1974x or ?? help

What's Hot
robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
edited January 2019 in Amps
Marshall 1962hw is an amp i have never had (and I have had A LOT) but always fancied. Been out of the loop playing live for a few years now and fancy having an amp that will last me for years for the odd jam or small gig. Sounds awesome on here 

but its just a bit too big physically.  I have read the 1974 x is kinda boxy and voiced different. SO question is what exists or who builds something in a slightly smaller format/wattage with similar tone? I get the 1x12 V's 2x12 but maybe squeezed into a smaller box?? Thoughts??? No tremolo required!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
    edited January 2019
    Just realised this is a HW version?/ Were they always hardwired??
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Rift Plexi 18.

I don't know if anyone makes a JTM45 VVTMBP circuit in an 18W-size amp, but I'm sure there must be someone... or you can actually fit a full JTM45 chassis in an 18W combo cabinet, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks. Rift definitely on the short list 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Just a get one made in a 1x12" format and get a 1x12" extension cab if you want 2 speakers. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    The 18w cab is a bit boxy sounding, but it does work well in a band setting as it does not get too boomy at louder volumes.

This is the JTM45 style 1 x 12 combo I build and really like, the cabinet is deeper than a normal 18w cab which get rid of the boxy sound, clean sounds are really great going into bluesy overdrive when cranked.

I can build one for you, pretty sure Rift, Gartone, Sutcliffe, Stoneham, Bluebird, RDA etc could do something similar too.

• I've been looking for a similar sort of thing recently and for similar reasons. I haven't tried them yet, but the Morgan MVP23 and the Carr Mercury V look like they are contenders . 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Rift Plexi 18.
    Thanks, ICBM

The Plexi 18 has both a 1974 Vol+tone channel and a JTM45 TMB channel, 2xEl84.

ICBM said:
    I don't know if anyone makes a JTM45 VVTMBP circuit in an 18W-size amp, but I'm sure there must be someone... or you can actually fit a full JTM45 chassis in an 18W combo cabinet, I think.
    I've done a few low-watt JTM45s in a 1x12" cab, CB 6V6s for around 16w.

You can fit a full JTM45 chassis in a standard 1974 1x12" cab but some brands of KT66 are too tall and can touch the front of the cab. Modulus offers a deeper cab to fix this or you can have a top mounted chassis w/front facing controls

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• thanks. Rift definitely on the short list 
    I think I misunderstood what you meant by similar. :) 

The Rift looks wonderful though. I'd stick it on my list but I think I need one with a built in attenuator for playing at home. 
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    Marshall's 2061x reissue is handwired too, small light weight (10 kg) head and very affordable secondhand. Add a 1x12 or a 2x12 with a low efficiency Celestion G12M-20 Heritage speaker and you're plenty loud for most gigs. I have never turned mine up above 2,5...
  • Slightly off at a tangent but is a 57 Twin a similar circuit?? Seen a Youtube video with Clapton saying he swapped to them back in the day because they were more consistent. I know zero about all this so excuse me if its a dumb question. 
  • I used to listen to a band in Glasgow in the 80's . The guitarist used some sort of marshall 2x12 that wasn't as big as the1962 - had checkerboard cloth across entire front and controls on top. Stellar sound also. 
    tFB Trader
    Emiel said:
    Marshall's 2061x reissue is handwired too, small light weight (10 kg) head and very affordable secondhand. Add a 1x12 or a 2x12 with a low efficiency Celestion G12M-20 Heritage speaker and you're plenty loud for most gigs. I have never turned mine up above 2,5...
    Never?? not even just to see what you could be missing tone wise? It is smile inducing stuff.
  • I used to listen to a band in Glasgow in the 80's . The guitarist used some sort of marshall 2x12 that wasn't as big as the1962 - had checkerboard cloth across entire front and controls on top. Stellar sound also. 
    A Marshall 4140 Club and Country I think. There was one for sale last week on the West Midlands Facebook group. 
    tFB Trader
    I used to listen to a band in Glasgow in the 80's . The guitarist used some sort of marshall 2x12 that wasn't as big as the1962 - had checkerboard cloth across entire front and controls on top. Stellar sound also. 
    Was it a 2 x 12 or a 2 x 10??

If you have two 12" speakers you need 620-630mm inside minimum to get them in. with a 15mm Birch ply cab you would need an overall size of at least 660mm min using a baffle dadoed into the cab, not the normal Marshall cleat stuff, it would still be fantastically heavy.
    A Marshall 4140 Club and Country I think. There was one for sale last week on the West Midlands Facebook group.

No, I'm getting mixed up. More likely a Marshall Artiste. 

• robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
    edited January 2019
    I used to listen to a band in Glasgow in the 80's . The guitarist used some sort of marshall 2x12 that wasn't as big as the1962 - had checkerboard cloth across entire front and controls on top. Stellar sound also. 
    Was it a 2 x 12 or a 2 x 10??

If you have two 12" speakers you need 620-630mm inside minimum to get them in. with a 15mm Birch ply cab you would need an overall size of at least 660mm min using a baffle dadoed into the cab, not the normal Marshall cleat stuff, it would still be fantastically heavy.
    Couldn't honestly say. I assumed 2x12 but may have been 2x10. I just remember it didn't have any tolex on the front at all - only cloth. He used a Yamaha Superflighter guitar. I can barely remember my name most days but shit like that sticks!!

Your combo looks fab btw. 
    edited January 2019
    Slightly off at a tangent but is a 57 Twin a similar circuit??
    No, but a '59 Bassman is.

Possibly a 'Popular' - 10W 2x10". They came in two versions, earlier with basketweave cloth and later with checkerboard.

The stock circuit is absolutely terrible though, so a lot get rebuilt as pseudo-18Ws. I did a couple back in the 80s, one the basketweave version and one a checkerboard.

It could also have been a Lead & Bass 50, which is the one Paul Weller uses - but they're a 2x12" and almost the same size as a Bluesbreaker.

StrummyBrummie said:

No, the Artiste has a vinyl panel at the top like a Bluesbreaker, but with a larger logo.

The Club & Country looks like - and essentially is - a brown Fender Twin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• gotcha . thanks!
  • ICBM said:
    Slightly off at a tangent but is a 57 Twin a similar circuit??
    No, but a '59 Bassman is.

Possibly a 'Popular' - 10W 2x10". The came in two versions, earlier with basketweave cloth and later with checkerboard.

The stock circuit is absolutely terrible though, so a lot get rebuilt as pseudo-18Ws. I did a couple back in the 80s, one the basketweave version and one a checkerboard.

It could also have been a Lead & Bass 50, which is the one Paul Weller uses - but they're a 2x12" and almost the same size as a Bluesbreaker.

StrummyBrummie said:

No, the Artiste has a vinyl panel at the top like a Bluesbreaker, but with a larger logo.

The Club & Country looks like - and essentially is - a brown Fender Twin.
    Lol. Why am even bothering to commet on an amp thread when the experts are in the room?!

How embarrassing.

I'll get my coat...
    StrummyBrummie said:

How embarrassing.
    Not really, it's quite confusing when there are a lot of people trying to pass off Artistes as Bluesbreakers for a start! Let alone Populars - with or without rebuild - as 18Ws.

It can be a bit of a minefield. Not helped by incorrect information in Mike Doyle's book which was based on deliberate dishonesty from a well-known vintage dealership...