Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cracked / bruised ribs - OUCH!

What's Hot
Interesting night at Judo tonight.... Loads of new people of different grades there. We partnered up for the sparring, some guy threw me, landed on me..... And then my ribs made a very painful (and loud) cracking and popping noise.

Just spent 4 hours in minor injuries unit (as our town got rid of the a and e...), only to be told there's 'probably' nothing sinister going on, and the ribs are probably just cracked and bruised.

Oh, and got some strong painkillers.

Not too sure what to think of that diagnosis... It bloody hurts, and taking a deep breath, coughing, crouching etc. all really hurt.

Anyone else had the joy of rib injuries?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Yep - have broken my ribs a few times .. initially years ago playing rugby and more recently surfing on the North Coast of Ireland. Bloody sore and not much you can do other than eat pain killers like Smarties. My advice is keep coughing as this helps move air round your lungs and wards off infection forming. @FarleyUK ;

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    Yes. Three times I think. 

Not a a lot you can do, apart from try not make them hurt. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Yeah I’ve had cracked ribs, it hurts. Hope you have a speedy recovery
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    That was an interesting night's sleep. By 'sleep', I actually mean 'staying in one position as much as possible and trying not to move as it hurts '.

Going to take myself to A and E shortly, would like to get an X ray on it. It's swollen quite a bit and getting sharp pains round the back now.

Bugger!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Yes, when I was 15, on an army cadet assault course - I slipped and fell onto the end of one of the upright logs in a pond that you’re meant to run across. Broke three.

The first doctor I saw thought it was indigestion despite having been told what had happened! When the pain unsurprisingly didn’t get better after a couple of days, luckily the second one had more sense and sent me to the hospital.

Of course I tripped over and broke some more bones last year too. Much worse this time. I suppose at least there was a gap of 36 years...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Yep. Tripped going up some steps and hit a rib on the angled bit of a step. Nothing to be done but very painful for a week or two. Probably took about six weeks to fully recover.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Almost impossible to sleep at night with bruised ribs.
      If you have a garden reclining chair bring it indoors and sleep in that on yer back.
      Easier to get out of than a bed as well.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2019
    Avoid funny jokes, although any comedy from the BBC should be fine..
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Yup, broke mine just before doing my Counter IEDD course. Thankfully the bomb suit held my ribs together... bloody agony though and all the day to day humour hurt more than I can describe.....

drink lots of milk,
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    Yes I broke two ribs in a windsurfing accident at speed, guy coming towards me didn't know the rules and I was on port(he had right of way). I bore away to leave the path clear for him but he did the same and rammed me his boom hitting me in the back. 

Everything felt fine whilst I was in the water and he went on his way but as soon as I got up onto the board it was very painful and I had to call the rescue boat. 

There's nothing they can do for cracked ribs, just painkillers, but do keep an eye out for blood in your urine. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Had a motorcycle accident a few years ago where I cracked my ribs.
    Breathing was a major difficulty.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    edited January 2019
    Fell down stairs and broke two. It hurts but others have said nothing really to be done.
    Codeine and tramadol (If you can get it) works wonders though not at the same time!
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Freebird said:
    Avoid funny jokes, although any comedy from the BBC should be fine..
    I gave you a LOL 'cos it made me chuckle. But then I realised: if it made me chuckle, it probably caused pain to the OP. So, shame on you! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers all - just back from the nearest A&E - they've confirmed a minimum of three fractured ribs. Couldn't do an X ray due to the location, but been given breathing exercises and stronger painkillers.

No martial arts for at least 6 weeks though ☹️☹️
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    It is horrible.

They just gave me diclofenac to take - it didn't even touch the sides (pun intended).
  • Done the same side on two occasions. Co-codamol and diclofenac cocktail worked a treat, as did not moving or laughing at all.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Studies show people with fractured ribs do not live as long as people who havent broken them......

Done it several times. Agony.  sadly painkillers help but manning up is the answer.  =)
    Studies show people with fractured ribs do not live as long as people who havent broken them......

Done it several times. Agony.  sadly painkillers help but manning up is the answer.  =)
    Wow, I bet you're fun at parties.
  • FarleyUK said:
    Studies show people with fractured ribs do not live as long as people who havent broken them......

Wow, I bet you're fun at parties.
    Funny, people never want to talk to me and call me sad serious bastard i wonder why
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Yep - I've had them a couple of times from Karate.

Best advice is avoid going to a comedy club for a few weeks.