overdrive pedal that cleans up with volume knobbie

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited January 2019
    ThorpyFX FX The Dane. The boost is stunning for thickening single coils, it’s always on for me. And the drive side is also sublime
    Have to say this pedal sounds really great in the demos. Like that the boost is just a fattener and has that lows control, it's what I've been wanting in a boost pedal! Any idea what its like into a dirty Marshall style amp compared to something like a klon? I want something to leave on all the time to fatten up my SG and make it more 'Les Paul'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    tone1 said:
    My Strat just loves the Broadcast. I find tubescreamers a bit thin at home through clean amps (yes, i know they're better through already driving amps) I've had the Hudson Sidecar and Jesse Davey's the Duellist but to me the Broadcast is miles better :)
    If you ever think of selling the uelist, five me a shout 
  • @mgaw I have a broadcast clone made by 4114 Effects that I’m not using if you fancied trying a broadcast type pedal at a much lower price and easier to get hold of than the full fat Hudson one? In a standard mxr case too
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I don’t want to be argumentative, but anyone who says that all overdrives clean up acceptably well has a totally different definition of clean up than I have. I don’t see how anyone could say this if they have ever played a gig with an always-on overdrive. Some overdrives allow you to play the whole gig getting all your clean sounds and most of your drive sounds by just rolling your guitars volume knob up and down.

BUT!!!.... most overdrives just don’t retain enough high end to allow you to have a lovely sharp, bright clean sound when you roll your volume knob back. For example, my old Plextortion, my klones, my Thorpy Gunshot and most of my tubscreamers do not clean up well from the volume knob at at all. 

On the other hand, the OCD, the .45 Caliber, the Morning Glory, the Charlie Brown, the BB Preamp all clean up wonderfully.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    edited January 2019
    johnhe said:
    I don’t want to be argumentative, but anyone who says that all overdrives clean up acceptably well has a totally different definition of clean up than I have. I don’t see how anyone could say this if they have ever played a gig with an always-on overdrive. Some overdrives allow you to play the whole gig getting all your clean sounds and most of your drive sounds by just rolling your guitars volume knob up and down.

BUT!!!.... most overdrives just don’t retain enough high end to allow you to have a lovely sharp, bright clean sound when you roll your volume knob back.
    That's more a function of the guitar volume control. Fit a treble-pass cap and it will.

And yes, I have gigged with an always-on overdrive and used just the guitar volume to get clean sounds - and by clean I mean *clean*, not slightly dirty - and all my overdriven sounds. Literally one pedal, on for the whole gig.

It's totally true that some do it better and more controllably than others, but it's also still true that all overdrive pedals do clean up if you reduce the input signal enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395

I use the EHX Soulfood always on and control the drive by backing off the guitar volume or bending down and backing down the pedals gain. Works pretty well for me 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    Grab 2 or 3 from the 'FX £' page and see which one does it for you. Sell on the others for what you paid for them. Simples.