Crop sensor camera lenses - help!

What's Hot

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    @stickyfiddle @ThePrettyDamned does Adobe now support Fuji RAW files? It appears to from Adobe website, but reading a lot of reviews, albeit from a few years back, which suggest that isn't the case.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    LightroomCC and mobile certainly does. Not sure which was the first of the standalone versions to support it. pretty sure LR5 didn’t.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    LightroomCC and mobile certainly does. Not sure which was the first of the standalone versions to support it. pretty sure LR5 didn’t.
    Thanks. 
  • RMJ said:
    Thanks. 

Agree with all the above, but... 

If you don't need localised adjustments, I *highly* recommend trying the free capture one fujifilm edition - it doesn't, to my eyes, do a better job than Lightroom but it gets me to those results far quicker, especially with regards to colour and contrast - despite me preferring the way Lightroom works in general, it seems to take more work to get the vibrance right. Capture one has a simpler vignette tool that just works fantastically well - where the Lightroom version can get the same result with a fair bit more tweaking. 

If you absolutely need brushes, graduated filters etc then Lightroom will be the one.
    RMJ said:
    Thanks. 

If you don't need localised adjustments, I *highly* recommend trying the free capture one fujifilm edition - it doesn't, to my eyes, do a better job than Lightroom but it gets me to those results far quicker, especially with regards to colour and contrast - despite me preferring the way Lightroom works in general, it seems to take more work to get the vibrance right. Capture one has a simpler vignette tool that just works fantastically well - where the Lightroom version can get the same result with a fair bit more tweaking. 

If you absolutely need brushes, graduated filters etc then Lightroom will be the one.
    I'm just used to the workflow in Lightroom and how to apply adjustments. Shadows, highlights, exposure are the things I correct more than saturation etc. 
  • RMJ said:
    RMJ said:
    Thanks. 

I'm just used to the workflow in Lightroom and how to apply adjustments. Shadows, highlights, exposure are the things I correct more than saturation etc. 

That's what I mean when I talk about contrast adjustments - for sure Lightroom is fine, and if not for photoshop I'd ditch my subscription. Definitely worth a go - you'll recover shadows so much easier with capture one. 

But again, I don't think it's better or worse - just a neat idea if you want to save money :) 
  • Sharpening of Fuji RAW files is so much better in Capture One than Lightroom. 

edited January 2019
    Sit-rep.....

17-55 is going back and I've ordered a used Fuji XT10 and 18-55 lens. Overall it's a bit more than the cost of the Canon lens. But I think I'll be much happier on my trip with the Fuji. Also, longer term, a smaller camera will probably encourage me to take it more places, and therefore take more photos.  

I'm really impressed by reports of in-camera jpeg production in the Fuji X series. I dont really want the hassle of editing raw images if I can help it, so having good results out of the box is another thing that will encourage me to take more photos. I'll obviously have to witness the outputs in the flesh first, but can see me ditching my DSLR.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this.

• RMJ said:
    Sit-rep.....

17-55 is going back and I've ordered a used Fuji XT10 and 18-55 lens. Overall it's a bit more than the cost of the Canon lens. But I think I'll be much happier on my trip with the Fuji. Also, longer term, a smaller camera will probably encourage me to take it more places, and therefore take more photos.  

I'm really impressed by reports of in-camera jpeg production in the Fuji X series. I dont really want the hassle of editing raw images if I can help it, so having good results out of the box is another thing that will encourage me to take more photos. I'll obviously have to witness the outputs in the flesh first, but can see me ditching my DSLR.

The xt2 means I take more photos - and the jpegs are very good, sharp and good colours. You can tweak them too. But it's the size and how it looks I like the most - although not much smaller than a D7200 it really looks smaller and just feels better to use. The 80s plastic SLR thing is pretty ugly, so it's nice to have a camera that looks as nice as it performs.
    RMJ said:
    Sit-rep.....

The xt2 means I take more photos - and the jpegs are very good, sharp and good colours. You can tweak them too. But it's the size and how it looks I like the most - although not much smaller than a D7200 it really looks smaller and just feels better to use. The 80s plastic SLR thing is pretty ugly, so it's nice to have a camera that looks as nice as it performs.
    Yea i love the retro look of the X series. Reminds me very much of my dad's old Pentax SLR. 

I agonized over whether I should get the XT1 over the XT10. Was only 100 quid difference amd i was already over budget with the lens too.  Anyway, will give me scope for upgrading
  • RMJ said:
    RMJ said:
    Sit-rep.....

Yea i love the retro look of the X series. Reminds me very much of my dad's old Pentax SLR. 

I agonized over whether I should get the XT1 over the XT10. Was only 100 quid difference amd i was already over budget with the lens too.  Anyway, will give me scope for upgrading

Honestly, I went xt2 because I love photography but one of the great things about fuji is that performance is pretty consistent - I could grab an xt20 or xe3 and get the same camera, pretty much. 

The xt10 is ace :) it's basically an xt1 with a slightly smaller body, slightly slower flash sync and no weather sealing. I don't think you'll have too much GAS! 
    Honestly, I don't think you'll ever want to use your 550D again once the XT10 arrives. 
    XT10 and 18-55 has arrived. I haven't used it yet, but I am really impressed with the build quality of it. I see what you mean about Fuji investing in the compact system format. And the size is perfect. MUCH happier than having to lug the DSLR around new York.

Can't wait to give it a rip now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent!

Looking forward to seeing some shots from it :)
    Excellent!

Looking forward to seeing some shots from it :)
    Me too!! 

I'll post some up when I get back from New York. 

I'm already gassing at the X lenses.
  • RMJ said:
    XT10 and 18-55 has arrived. I haven't used it yet, but I am really impressed with the build quality of it. I see what you mean about Fuji investing in the compact system format. And the size is perfect. MUCH happier than having to lug the DSLR around new York.

Can't wait to give it a rip now. 
    Congrats.

I love my X-T20.

I've got very used to having such a small yet powerful camera. Recently got a very good deal on a used X-T2 but it felt way too big (despite me being a former DSLR owner and a former X-T1 owner) so I returned it. Looks like the X-T30 will be announced soon - be interesting to see how much of the X-T3 is in there.

Finally got round to looking at my images from New York over the past couple of days using the XT10 and 18-55 lens. I'm partially pleased with the results and will post some images when I get round to it.

I'm annoyed that I didn't spend more time getting to know the camera before I went. Couple of things I noticed that affected the images I took. I found the dials on the XT10 easy to knock for example, so I ended up moving the drive dial a few times to bracket shooting. I also shot everything in jpg as I was pleased with some test images I took. In hindsight, until I had become comfortable with the in camera processing, I should have shot RAW. 

Since returning I have had more time with the XT10 and am much more comfortable with it. I'm actually shooting manual alot with it and bought a 35mm f2, which I absolutely love. 

I'm trying to resist temptation of chopping in and upgrading to an XT20 or XT2. I think I'd benefit from the larger sensor as I tend to crop alot and rarely am happy with my compositions as shot. However, I think the limitations of the XT10 may be helpful to me in the long run. 
  • RMJ said:
    Finally got round to looking at my images from New York over the past couple of days using the XT10 and 18-55 lens. I'm partially pleased with the results and will post some images when I get round to it.

I'm annoyed that I didn't spend more time getting to know the camera before I went. Couple of things I noticed that affected the images I took. I found the dials on the XT10 easy to knock for example, so I ended up moving the drive dial a few times to bracket shooting. I also shot everything in jpg as I was pleased with some test images I took. In hindsight, until I had become comfortable with the in camera processing, I should have shot RAW. 

Since returning I have had more time with the XT10 and am much more comfortable with it. I'm actually shooting manual alot with it and bought a 35mm f2, which I absolutely love. 

I'm trying to resist temptation of chopping in and upgrading to an XT20 or XT2. I think I'd benefit from the larger sensor as I tend to crop alot and rarely am happy with my compositions as shot. However, I think the limitations of the XT10 may be helpful to me in the long run. 

If you want to hit the larger sensor craving, you can get excellent 6x6, 6x7 or 4x5 format cameras for not much money. 

Digital still hasn't come close to the 8x10 positives I've seen in the past - absolutely breathtaking. Even simple triplet or tessar lenses covered in scratches are absolutely insanely sharp at f/22 or f/30, and at f/11 you get ultra shallow depth of field and still good sharpness. 

Of course, another reason I've stuck with aps-c is that  asides from getting a well built, comfy, fast camera that is wonderful to use, I've tried plenty of full frame and the improvement is pretty slight - a stop or so.

And that's if you nail exposure...

Fuji seems to be working on making "small medium format" with a crop factor of 0.8 the new "full frame" by releasing more affordable medium format cameras. It's not a big sensor, but it probably offers another stop and a bigger sensor is less demanding of lenses. Plus, awesome fuji build and looks and it is a winner... 

So for me, I'd rather spend less on a camera I love and know that a few years from now I could be rocking something with a bigger sensor than 35mm.
  • RMJ said: LP

The 24mpx of the XT20/XT2 is definitely the sweet spot for apsc. The XT30 is about to be announced next week, so that should see quite a drop in the price of used XT20. Good time to buy one. 

I love my XT20 and seeing the leaked images and specs of the XT30 has removed any desire to upgrade. No larger EVF and the removal of the Dpad makes me unenthusiastic about the new camera. The 20 is my favourite camera I've ever owned .happy to stick with it. 

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    RMJ said:
    I think I'd benefit from the larger sensor as I tend to crop alot and rarely am happy with my compositions as shot. 
    A larger sensor isn't going to help you compose. If you find your photos have too much space around them already when using a crop that's likely going to be even worse on full frame assuming you are shooting with a similar focal range.

Again, assuming a full frame and crop sensor with a similar number of pixels - your cropped area would end up being less pixel dense with correspondingly less detail in it using a full frame - all else being equal. Best bet is to take your time to learn to compose things better. Don't assume the camera is the problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom