Bluesbreaker 1962/1974x or ?? help

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Emiel said:
    Marshall's 2061x reissue is handwired too, small light weight (10 kg) head and very affordable secondhand. Add a 1x12 or a 2x12 with a low efficiency Celestion G12M-20 Heritage speaker and you're plenty loud for most gigs. I have never turned mine up above 2,5...
    Yeah, I had a 2061X and it was one of the best amps I've ever owned. A bit more aggressive because of the solid state rectifier but otherwise same circuit as a 1974X. 

Unlike Emiel, I always ran mine on 10 (I once had a complaint from a neighbour though. And not the next door neighbour, oh no. The guy two doors down). I had a Zilla 1x12 and it sounded great.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi @robmac5150 ;

I would never describe the 1974x as boxy, it's a great little amp built for a les paul or 335. Had mine for about six years and still brings a smile to my face. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKSvaFCHs0
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    edited January 2019
    Emiel said:
    Marshall's 2061x reissue is handwired too, small light weight (10 kg) head and very affordable secondhand. Add a 1x12 or a 2x12 with a low efficiency Celestion G12M-20 Heritage speaker and you're plenty loud for most gigs. I have never turned mine up above 2,5...
    Never?? not even just to see what you could be missing tone wise? It is smile inducing stuff.

Guess I’ll have to show up earlier on my band’s rehearsals! 

The 2061x sounds more like the big Marshalls than the more Vox-y 1974x. Definitely an amp the topic starter should consider!
  • ICBM said:
    StrummyBrummie said:

How embarrassing.
    Not really, it's quite confusing when there are a lot of people trying to pass off Artistes as Bluesbreakers for a start! Let alone Populars - with or without rebuild - as 18Ws.

It can be a bit of a minefield. Not helped by incorrect information in Mike Doyle's book which was based on deliberate dishonesty from a well-known vintage dealership...
    It's a minefield alright. I hadn't even heard of the Popular.

Anyway, I was presented be with an enormous bill that I hadn't bargained for this afternoon so I should probably stop thinking about new amps entirely.  Easier said than done though eh? 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Hi @robmac5150 ;

I would never describe the 1974x as boxy, it's a great little amp built for a les paul or 335. Had mine for about six years and still brings a smile to my face. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKSvaFCHs0
    Very nice demo and playing. Great tone and love your 335.  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    MJW Roadstar 18w combo with power scaling might fit the bill - Martin now based in Scotland. 
  • sw67 said:
    MJW Roadstar 18w combo with power scaling might fit the bill - Martin now based in Scotland. 
    Or the Bantam or V620...
  • People buy these amps because they look super cool. But they are heavy. They are loud. And they scare soundmen/band mates when you turn up with them. Honestly, get a Revival Drive and work with whatever you have to run it through.  Just my 1p. :+1: 
  • point noted ;-) 
  • I played a Rift plexi 18 combo at a previous brum guitar show and it sounded mega and I have lusted after it ever since. Even through the enormous general din of a guitar show it shone through.

Played some of the Modulus amps gryphin amp range at the same show and was equally impressed. Didn’t play his 1x12 jtm 45 but presumably it will be of the same standard. My main gigging cab was made by Modulus too so I thoroughly recommend them.

You can’t go wrong with either. I imagine something from MJW would be the same, I just have no first hand experience of them.
  • thanks Mark