Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cracked / bruised ribs - OUCH!

What's Hot

Comments

• Ouch indeed!!! Sorry to hear that.. I can't begin to imagine the pain
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Yes, 3 times.

Football, football, boxing.

Broken not too bad, bruised ot torn between the ribs can be a long painful injury.  I feel for you, all the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Yep, did mine playing 6 a side footy, some fat bloke landed on me. Just wait until you need to push a poo out- agony!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Yeah did it this summer on holiday.
    spent a week sleeping in armchair downstairs, cushions and duvet to prop me up. 
    Most of pain went after a week, the uncomfortableness within 2 to 3 weeks, but could still notice the odd spasm several months later.
    doesntt matter if broken or not I understand d

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Time to move to BJJ from judo. 
  • grungebob said:
    I’ve just gone in the other direction! oops. 

Ive broken ribs on several occasions doing different things- MMA, Kickboxing, BJJ, Lacrosse & falling off my bike to name a few. I’m sure Judo will be added to the list eventually. 

I recommend- painkillers, rest, & deep breathing to stretch things a bit. 
    I don’t recommend laughing, being jumped on by a toddler or catching a cough!
    The cough I caught with cracked ribs was the most painful week of my life.
  • I’m recovering from a fractured rib/toe now, funnily enough - I came off my motorbike in mid December and had the injuries confirmed the following day. The toe injury was more of a pain as I had to wear one of those moon boot sandal things for about 4 weeks (stopped wearing it yesterday) and couldn’t drive. That said, I had the painkillers to combat the pain when coughing, turning, stretching, laughing etc...
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Twice fractured mine, both from mountain biking incidents... hurts like hell.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    And they say exercise is good for you!  :o

• Nitefly said:

Do they? Whenever I get injured MrsLostSon responds with 
    "Well, if you will do stupid sports..."
    Sympathy? What's that?
  • Nitefly said:

Do they? Whenever I get injured MrsLostSon responds with 
    "Well, if you will do stupid sports..."
    Sympathy? What's that?
    To quote an old friend (Who laughed at my injuries a lot) "It's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis" 
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I broke 5 ribs a few years back coupled with an 80% pneumothorax - it smarted a bit ;)

Coughing, sneezing and laughing all no no's for quite some time, enjoy ;)
    grungebob said:

Why?
  • grungebob said:
    grungebob said:

Why?
    My daughter does Judo & the club is brilliant with superb coaches.
    She wanted me to try it, so I did. Despite being a good blue belt at BJJ I'm rightly back at white belt.
     It's tough but fun so far (2 classes)! 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited January 2019
    FarleyUK said:
    Interesting night at Judo tonight.... Loads of new people of different grades there. We partnered up for the sparring, some guy threw me, landed on me..... And then my ribs made a very painful (and loud) cracking and popping noise.

Just spent 4 hours in minor injuries unit (as our town got rid of the a and e...), only to be told there's 'probably' nothing sinister going on, and the ribs are probably just cracked and bruised.

Oh, and got some strong painkillers.

Not too sure what to think of that diagnosis... It bloody hurts, and taking a deep breath, coughing, crouching etc. all really hurt.

Anyone else had the joy of rib injuries?
    Yes. I cracked my ribs whilst karting a few years ago. Some ****hole lost control and mykart got shoved sideways into the tyres. Ouch. Finished the race, though.

You know that feeling when you go white as a sheet as the body goes into shock? Well that happened to me as I tried getting out of bed next morning. Ooooofffff! Severely uncomfortable for a few days, and took about 6-8 weeks to heal. The worst part was missing the rest of the hockey season as the accident happened mid-Feb.

You have my sincere sympathy.
    grungebob said:
    grungebob said:

Why?
    My daughter does Judo & the club is brilliant with superb coaches.
    She wanted me to try it, so I did. Despite being a good blue belt at BJJ I'm rightly back at white belt.
     It's tough but fun so far (2 classes)! 
    I did judo when I was younger and I thought about it again a few months back as they hold it in the same club as my BJJ but the sport aspect of it annoys me. Ippon, move along. 
    Hope you like it though. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited January 2019
    First time I tried Judo, I managed to dislocate the small toe of the prettiest girl in the class, and kick my best friend’s dad (he was an Olympic level wrestler) in the balls so hard that he cried.

That also happened to be the last time I did Judo...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited January 2019
    Maynehead said:
    First time I tried Judo, I managed to dislocate the small toe of the prettiest girl in the class, and kick my best friend’s dad (he was an Olympic level wrestler) in the balls so hard that he cried.

That also happened to be the last time I did Judo...
    I wasn’t sure whether to LOL or wow that!
    Thankfully I safely navigated those obstacles! I did get thrown (gently) by a multiple Olympian, which was kinda cool. I also got called for “sand bagging” by a few of the black belts- apparently they could tell I’d done other grappling before (which I have- lots of BJJ).  

To to return to the start... it’s been a day or two- how’s the recovery going @FarleyUK ?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    It's actually not too bad - lots of resting and playing Assassin's Creed (plus I have the house to myself this weekend!). Still very sore obviously, and I choked on some food earlier which was not a nice experience...!

Managed to sleep ok last night, although driving is hard - drive a Honda Civic, and I'm 6ft 4, so getting in and out is bloody painful as it's so low down.

The other annoying thing is, the day I fractured my ribs, I purchased a new car which in waiting on for collection... It's an suv though so should be easier on the ribs getting in and out!

Also emailed work saying I'll be remote for at least this week.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Update - holy hell am I sore. The weird thing is, it's not so much the front / side that hurts - it's round the back. Almost as though there's a load of bruising and knots there. It's pretty horrific when I try and lie down as well, something feels like it 'pings' or slips and causes a load of pain.

Back on the painkillers I go...

Also getting quite phlegmy, so trying to keep breathing deeply to stop any nastiness happening.