Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BBC 4 Guitar, Drums and Bass

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    no mention of reggae drumming
    In fairness, Stewart Copeland was never a real Reggae drummer, was he?

Kebabkid said:
    if you like Stewart Copeland's drumming, check out ...
    Oysterhead.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Watched it myself now. Not sure I learned all that much ( and with Stewart Copeland there I'm a bit disappointed of no mention of reggae drumming) but perfectly enjoyable. 
    Agreed. I saw Copeland on The Police reunion tour in 2008 - he was truly astonishing - the star of a ‘very’ talented show. But this felt like ‘safe’ television....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    no mention of reggae drumming
    In fairness, Stewart Copeland was never a real Reggae drummer, was he? 
    I suppose not although he was obviously playing around with reggae ideas at the peak of his popularity so some reference maybe. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I may be biased because I don't really like him, but the programme reinforced my theory that Sting was the least talented member of The Police (and I include Henry Padovani in that).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Right near the end, Copeland managed to insert one small dig at Sting.
    I was wondering what it would be- laughed pretty hard at that. Not a nasty dig either, pretty self-deprecating really.

I only counted one fairly robust example of fruity language in an otherwise pretty family friendly show. Good work Flea.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I think for a show which was aimed at a general audience and not us nerdy musos it was excellent, they pitched it just right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    scrumhalf said:
    I may be biased because I don't really like him, but the programme reinforced my theory that Sting was the least talented member of The Police (and I include Henry Padovani in that).
    Still a pretty decent accolade. Bit like being the worst player in a 5 a side team with Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane and Maldini...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301

if you like Stewart Copeland's drumming, check out ...
    Oysterhead.
    Oysterhead were great. Thanks for reminding me!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    scrumhalf said:
    I’d like to have as little talent as him. He might be a tosser in his personal life but he wrote some brilliant songs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Just watching this on catch-up this morning,and was really impressed with the amount of people just jamming on the street//beach or in the park.
    can’t ever see it happening in Brum tho’!
  • scrumhalf said:
    Can't agree with that.  Copeland himself said something like "for a few years Sting was the best writer of 3 minute pop songs on the planet".  Even if you think that's an exaggeration, it was Sting's songs that made the difference between them being just another collection of very good players and being a huge band.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    I quite enjoyed it. I'd like to have heard more playing though.

Ive seen Stanton Moore live several times, in his trio as well as with Galactic, he's unbelievable and a real student of the drums 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

Guitar, Drum and Bass
    Episode 3 of 3.  25 January 2019

Lenny Kaye, Patti Smith’s guitarist, explains why the quest for new guitar sounds has driven the history of popular music, from Les Paul’s first guitar to Bo Diddley’s tremolo, Duane Eddy’s whammy bar, Keith Richards’s fuzz pedal, The Who’s feedback, The Byrds’ 12-string, Hendrix’s wah-wah pedal, Uli Roth and Van Halen’s shredding, The Edge’s digital delay, Ry Cooder’s slide, and KT Tunstall and Ed Sheeran’s looper pedals. With Duane Eddy, Roger McGuinn, The Edge, Bonnie Raitt, Seasick Steve, KT Tunstall, Joe Bonamassa, Uli Roth, Vernon Reid, Heart’s Nancy Wilson, The Runaways’ Lita Ford and producer Shel Talmy.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    As someone who's long been jaded with the somewhat endless and cliched BBC 4 music documentaries, I thought it was pretty enjoyable programme. Copeland was a great presenter and although only 1 hour gave a good overview of how the modern drum set-up evolved.

The highlights for me were Sheena E - was never that into Prince's music so she kind of passed me by, but she's a fucking amazing drummer, not just the fills, but more imporatantly the feel. A lot of drummers sould learn massively from her on the bit about just sitting on the groove. Also Chad Smith. As a teenager I was a bit of a RHCPs fan in the early 90s and knew he was good, but not that good, great natural feel and obviously so aware of different styles and drummers, kind of wasted on RHCPs I think. I thought Taylor Hawkins was a bit of a waste of space though, not much to say other than 'wow' and 'yeah man', plus although very good at what he does it's all a bit the same stuff. Glad they didn't waste too much time on the tedious Keith Moon.

Look forward to the bass one, but reckon the guitar one might be a bit of a let down though. Guitar has so much more attention over the years that a lot of it's been done, although at least they're looking at the sound of the guitar rather than the widdle angle. Hope they don't waste too much time on the intensely beige Ed 'fuckin hobbit' Sheeran.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No mention of Neil Peart in this...is that a deliberate snub? How can you talk for an hour about drumming and not mention the professor?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Watched it last night (Drums). Copeland was a very good presenter, definitely helped by his obvious enthusiasm for the subject matter. I thought it trod the fine line between too technical and too simplified pretty well.
    7.5/10
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I've just watched the Bass one with Tina Weymouth. I thought it was amazing. She came across really well and there was some really interesting short interviews (Herbie Flowers and Bootsy were gold). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Lodious said:
    I've just watched the Bass one with Tina Weymouth. I thought it was amazing. She came across really well and there was some really interesting short interviews (Herbie Flowers and Bootsy were gold). 
    It was good, only but I didn’t like was how underplayed the importance of Fender was in the electric bass, watching it as a novice you’d have thought it was invented by Hofner in the 60’s.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    Watched the bass episode last night. Another really enjoyable programme. Just not long enough. Could easily have been twice as long I reckon. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    No Jaco on the Bass episode?