Which tonal compromise should I choose in an amp?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• onyironyir Frets: 45
    You should try a Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 36. 3 channels, multiple power options, (digital) reverb and fx loop. I would buy separate head and cab, though, I don't think the V30 in the combo (or in H&K cabs) is the best match for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    @KareemMonzer ;

what is your current solid state amp and do you like it? Are you playing low volume at home or gigging? And why do you want to go valve?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123 said:
    @KareemMonzer ;

what is your current solid state amp and do you like it? Are you playing low volume at home or gigging? And why do you want to go valve?

I have a Marshall MG15 and I hate the obviously digital sounds. I also sold my Line 6 Pod XT Live because I really just got sick of the digital high gain tones. In fairness though, I mostly play at home in a medium sized room and rarely with a drummer. 
  • I've also been considering the new Marshall DSL40 - it seems to have a good variety of tones at a relatively affordable price point. Does anyone have any feedback on the amp?

Thanks again for all the help!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    KareemMonzer said:

I have a Marshall MG15 and I hate the obviously digital sounds.
    The MG15 is analogue.

You can do a *lot* better with either analogue solid-state or digital. Don’t write off non-valve amps just because you have a very cheap solid-state practice amp :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited January 2019
    It’s technically not for sale anymore (I was selling mine last year but still have it). But an ampeg gvt 52 sounds like a hrd clean and filthy as hell dirty. Might be worth a look. 

ICBM is dead on (as per usual  ) about better solid state amps. As an example, the jazz chorus is one of the best amps I’ve used