Digital Piano/Keyboard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    edited January 2019
    Thanks again, guys.

Thanks for the vid, @horse . I think I came across that one already but I wasn't sure if he was worth listening to or not, so if he is, I'll watch more of it D

That's an interesting link about the keys, @goldtop

I'm not sure if the Yamaha includes it, all I came up with so far was that it did have weighting, just the "worst" or "cheapest" one which Yamaha did. I'll see if I can come up with anything better than that.

Unfortunately, it's sort of written in marketing-speak, so it doesn't really say in black and white which is best, but reading between the lines, it looks like you have to go up to the GH3 action to get the triple sensor thing. But it's possible I have misunderstood or misinterpreted what they've written... :D

Do any of you have any suggestions on decent stands and benches? Ideally, in both cases, ones which can easily be folded away, but (especially in the case of the stand) sturdy and decent enough to be worthwhile. Not super-expensive, but at the same time it's a false economy if it drops and breaks the keyboard, lol. I've come across the Hercules stuff which I know from guitar (for the stand), but there may well be better options I'm not aware of. Also come across Gravity and Quiklok which both look not too bad, too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    I use an old 80s quiklok when I just take my Nord electro out - the newer stuff might not be as tough, I don't know.

I've had my px5s and more pricey stuff out on a Hercules without any concern.

I have a K&M table with extensions at home which isn't really easily portable - a bit more pricey but very sturdy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    I know some people don't like them, but I never had any trouble with the X-type folding stands (Quiklok). But these days I have the MC2000 (VERY heavy) on the bottom tier of a Jaspers stand.
    edited January 2019
    Thanks At least I'm hopefully looking in the right place, then. I've come across the K&M stuff too, so I'll take a look at it as well. I'll look up Jaspers, too.

So would you say the Z-type stands are better than the X-type? The single X-type ones look a bit flimsy, but I thought the double X-type ones looked a bit better...
    My old quiklok is a single X, but it is pretty heavy / strong.

I did have a very cheap no name X stand that I got for free which I used when I had a very light Roland vr09, because the stand was so light to carry, but I could see it start to get dented and didn't trust it with anything heavier.

I think with the companies you've heard of (including stagg) you can usually trust their max weight recommendations.
    Excellent, thanks :)

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have a Casio PX-150 which you can pickup up for £200ish and it's an excellent 
    ^ Thanks :)  The PX-560 has already arrived, though. :D Figured at the deal price it was worth a shot.

Pretty much pleased with it so far (though only scratched the surface, and that's an understatement!)- the piano (and piano-related) sounds are good, the keys feel good, the synth sounds are crazy and the extra features like beats, accompaniment etc. are nice. Some of the sounds are a bit iffy (guitar, the orchestral instrument ones, though the bass ones are pretty nice), but i kind of suspected that going in.

It's also a lot heavier and bulkier than I expected! :D Obviously I'd read the specs but you don't quite appreciate what that means until you have it in your hands. Very glad I didn't go for the Yamaha DGX660 now, since it was almost twice the weight!

Still have to get a stand, will have to think about that for a day or two because it's heavy enough that it might just be handier trying to find somewhere where it can live permanently, and that'll affect what stand I should go for.

Thanks for everyone's help- I'm happy, and I wouldn't have thought of this one without the help in this thread. :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I’m sure the 560 is several steps up from my old 150, so should be an excellent piano. Mine came with the wooden stand, but I ditched it for a 2 tier x stand so I could put a synth on top, the wooden stands do look great though
    Great news. I guess anything that size with speakers is going to weigh a bit even with a plastic case.
    Thanks guys.

It didn't come with a stand, weirdly it was free postage alone but I had to pay postage to get a stand with it (and also it would have held up delivery a good while too), so I didn't bother. In hindsight, that was actually a decent plan as I think having the piano here will make it a lot easier to decide on a stand.

Also don't quote me on how heavy it is- I really don't like lifting heavy things, so other people might think it's a reasonable weight, lol. But to me, I wouldn't want it to be any heavier! It's not really just the weight, either, it's the size of the thing. A compact guitar amp at that weight wouldn't be too much of a problem...

Definitely considering the wooden stand if I can think of somewhere it could stay permanently... you could end up spending nearly as much on a decent foldable stand, and the wooden one does seem a bit sturdier (though I could well be wrong on that).