I love cooking - I love food :)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Emp_Fab said:
    Nikc said:
    Good to see I’m not alone, my love of food and wine is well balanced against my training regime - exercise is your best friend I managed to burn 1500 kcal on my turbo trainer yesterday :) 
    1500 ?????  I seriously doubt that - unless you're some kind of olympic athlete.

I get to 150 on my treadmill and I need to be helped off !!
    And again today - very hard session that I wrote myself takes you right to breaking point - I use a Polar V800 to monitor efforts speed and cadence - It helps that I'm a qualified cycle coach ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Emp_Fab said:
    Nikc said:
    Good to see I’m not alone, my love of food and wine is well balanced against my training regime - exercise is your best friend I managed to burn 1500 kcal on my turbo trainer yesterday :) 
    1500 ?????  I seriously doubt that - unless you're some kind of olympic athlete.

I get to 150 on my treadmill and I need to be helped off !!
    Really? You probably use 35 just plugging it in and reading the manual. 

I use about 5,000 calories on my daily commute, according to the cycle computer I use as a speedo on my motorbike.
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    I love to cook too and have been getting into Szechuan recently. 
    I'm from the "garlic is a vegetable" school of thinking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Simple roast today, albeit with some bloody lovely gravy courtesy of Jamie Oliver's YT channel.

However, my current smug expression is due to the fact that I managed to produce four flawless chocolate fondants in one go. I've never managed to make all four without one of them falling apart before, so I count this as a major win.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited January 2019
    jdgm said:
    Did cauliflower cheese last night.
    Came out good, tasty, best I've done yet. But not perfect.
    For you next one, add a splash of Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar to your cheese sauce. Makes all the difference. 
  • I'm on a serious diet, too!

Last night I cooked us a serious Fish curry (from Diane Henrys book "Plenty") with Basmati rice and a Spinach & Onion side (from Madhur Jaffreys book "Taste of India"). Took just an hour from start to finish, from scratch including roasting the spices. 

Still can't cook a steak properly, though....  

Steak is easy  just a few things most people forget. 

- room temperature 
    - dry - pat dry if needed
    - season 
    - use a hot cast iron griddle pan or skillet. These hold heat well - they take a while to heat up on a medium heat but they get searing hot when they do  

The meat will stick at first - that's a good thing. After a couple of minutes try to move it and it should release easily (not slide, but "click" off). Turn over and do it again  then oven finish in the same pan if you want it more cooked than rare.

Lastly, let the meat rest after it's been cooked - leave it on a warmed plate. I promise, it'll be ace. Then you can deglaze the pan with stock or red wine for a tasty gravy. 

We use a le creuset griddle or fry pan, a neighbour uses a much cheaper pan that's a bit heavier but works equally as well.

Tonight, I made a few curry pastes - tikka masala, jalfrezi and Malaysian rendang, and froze them in ice cube trays. Three of the frozen cubes is perfect for a generous size vegetable curry, they just need coconut milk or tinned tomatoes, onion and stock to be added to get the sauce done. Not absolutely authentic, but delicious and easy. The tomato based dishes are plenty healthy, too :)

Plus you get a work out using the pestle and mortar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    SERVES 1 | 1 MINUTES PREP | 3 MINUTES COOKING

1 coffee mug
    4 tbsp plain flour
    4 tbsp caster sugar
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 large egg
    3 tbsp whole milk
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    splash of vanilla extract

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well with a fork.

Add egg, mix thoroughly.

Pour in milk, oil and vanilla, mix well.

Put mug into microwave and cook for three minutes on 1000 watts. Cake will rise over top of mug. Allow to cool for 2 minutes.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    edited January 2019
    Okay, since we're doing recipes now...

Enough for four chocolate orange fondants:

120g dark chocolate (or 100g dark and 20g milk chocolate if that's too rich for you)
    1 teaspoon orange extract (or two, depending on how orange-y you want it)
    120g butter, cubed
    Two whole eggs and two egg yolks
    120g caster sugar
    30g flour (or a heaped tablespoon)
    Cocoa powder

Microwave the chocolate and butter for 20-30s at a time until the butter's melted and clear but there are still lumps of chocolate in there. Mix it with a fork until it's smooth and shiny and all the chocolate's melted. Add the orange extract and mix again.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until pale, then add the caster sugar bit-by-bit and whisk until there aren't any lumps.

Add the chocolate bit-by-bit to the egg/sugar mix and whisk as you go (don't add it all at once, depending on how hot the chocolate is you might start cooking the egg).

Add the flour and whisk again.

Lastly, melt a knob of butter in the microwave and get a pastry brush (or just use a clean tea towel). Grease the inside of your dariole moulds (or whatever you want to make the fondants in, ramekins can do a good job), then dump a good amount of cocoa powder into one of them. Holding it above the next mould, roll the cocoa powder around it until it's completely coated and the remaining cocoa powder is in the next mould...continue until they're all completely coated and dry. This is to make it non-stick.

2/3 fill each mould with the cake mixture, then put in the oven at 200C for exactly 12 minutes (IMPORTANT: give it an extra minute for every 20 minutes since you made the mixture - it'll have cooled down since you microwaved the chocolate). When they're ready, each one will have a dome shape on top.

Remove from the oven and leave for a minute to finish the cooking process. Run a small, very sharp knife around the top 1cm of each mould to loosen it. Then place a small plate on top of the mould and invert. Let it sit for 20s and remove the mould.

Best served with Chantilly cream IMO (200ml double cream, seeds from one or two vanilla pods, tablespoon of caster sugar, whisk until soft peaks).
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Don't get me started on baking... I ran a bakery in an ice cream shop for 18 months after uni. Great fun, loads of cake and I was delivering around Oxford by bike so never put on any weight. If only it had paid well...! 

I'm loving waffles lately. Make a load of batter in advance and get 2 or 3 decent breakfasts out of it. Best toppings are skyr & berries or scrambled eggs & bacon with maple syrup. LOVELY
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23924
    I love cooking too.

I cook loads of Mexican (from scratch, none of that jar crap) but my main thing is real fire - proper old low and slow BBQ wood smoking.

Quite happy to be up all night doing a 15 lb brisket over 20 odd hours.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited January 2019
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    edited January 2019
    Got a few cooking related books for Christmas:

Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain 
    https://www.waterstones.com/book/kitchen-confidential/anthony-bourdain/9781408845042

Fit Cook Men - Kevin Curry (had never heard of this guy, before receiving the present tbh) 
    https://www.waterstones.com/book/9781471181788

Britain’s Best Home Cook: Great Food Every Day - Jordan Bourke
    https://www.waterstones.com/book/britains-best-cook-great-home-cooking-recipes-from-the-bbc-series/keo-films-com-ltd/jordan-bourke/9781785943409

Really like watching & trying out some of the Tom Kerridge recipes on his weightloss/healthier lifestyle programmes.  BBC1 on Wednesday evenings (around 8 or 9pm) if anyone cares.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16008
    Mumsnet again
    Anybody got any good knitting patterns?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    edited January 2019
    Dominic said:
    Mumsnet again
    I have never understood men who are proud to be shit at stuff. Especially cooking. WTF?

Cooking is awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Dominic said:
    Mumsnet again
    Do you know they have fused garlic with bread, the savages.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Dominic said:
    Mumsnet again
    Is being able to feed yourself really "women's work"?