Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£110 at Andertons, what do you buy?

What's Hot
King85King85 Frets: 631
I got a new guitar and my first ever pedal for Christmas and I've now got £110 to spend at Anderton's and I'm  not sure what else to go for.

I've always had modelling amps so  oddly I've never ventured into the pedal world but received a cheeky pint compressor as a gift and whilst reading up on them they're not highly regarded I've enjoyed having a play with it and would like to get a few more pedals.

These have taken my fancy as cheaper foray into getting a board together:

I definitely would like an overdrive but an really open to suggestions with regards to which to go for an any other pedals that are worth a look for my budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I think a lush reverb would add a good dimension to your playing. 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    What amp will you be plugging into? 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    Playing what kind of stuff? 

A tc Flashback 2 can now be had for under £100 and learning different uses of delay is probably the biggest learning curve for a single pedal and the tc has a bunch of different voices and crazy noises as a bonus. Hours of fun. 

If you have a modelling amp unless it's a posh one then effects like overdrive, fuzz and boosts won't work the same as they do into valve amps. You can push a valve amp but with digital ( unless it has a good valve model) or solid state amps these kind of pedals don't interact in the same way. Not necessarily in a bad way but worth bearing in mind when watching YouTube demos. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I think a lush reverb would add a good dimension to your playing. 
    revsorg said:
    What amp will you be plugging into? 

I have an Epiphone Valve Junior and a Mustang GT40.

I really like the sound of the Oceans 11 Reverb so might save for that unless you have a cheaper recommendation?

A tc Flashback 2 can now be had for under £100 and learning different uses of delay is probably the biggest learning curve for a single pedal and the tc has a bunch of different voices and crazy noises as a bonus. Hours of fun. 

If you have a modelling amp unless it's a posh one then effects like overdrive, fuzz and boosts won't work the same as they do into valve amps. You can push a valve amp but with digital ( unless it has a good valve model) or solid state amps these kind of pedals don't interact in the same way. Not necessarily in a bad way but worth bearing in mind when watching YouTube demos. 
    I like a mix but mostly your standard rockish stuff, pop punk, modern prog rock like Coheed.

Am I limiting myself with just one pedal though or do you think it will mix well with my GT40 or EVJ?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    King85 said:

I like a mix but mostly your standard rockish stuff, pop punk, modern prog rock like Coheed.

Am I limiting myself with just one pedal though or do you think it will mix well with my GT40 or EVJ?

I'm not sure how much you will get from the Mustang with overdrive pedals, it will be another flavour of distortion but I suspect won't achieve much you couldn't do with the amp itself. The EVJ is a different beast so you will probably get more out of overdrive/ fuzz at low levels ( it's a low powered valve amp so anything that boosts the signal will quickly hit a ceiling if the amp is toward it's loudest). 

For me modulation effects ( chorus, flange, phaser,etc) would work with any amp but you might find the ones in the Mustang are good enough for purpose. Time based effects ( delay and reverb) will also work with any amp and multi purpose ones like Oceans 11 or the Flashback 2 will give you a bit more than you can get from the Mustang and will give a bit of life to the EVJ for home use. They are both good enough that you will keep them even if you upgrade amps, bit less likely to do that if you have a trio of budget pedals. I'd probably also look at the tc Hall of Fame 2 in comparison to the EHX. Partly because as tc prices have come down it's now a cheaper option and with the MASH function it's better for crazy noises. 

But watch YouTube demos ( although bear in mind they are all trying to sell you stuff) and try stuff if you can, see what sounds good to you. 

Oh, and think what you need in terms of power supply. Most mini pedals won't accept batteries and digital pedals ( like the ones I've mentioned) will eat them so a suitable Power Supply Unit might be required. 
    Welcome to the rabbit hole ...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    Another vote for the Ocean 11 reverb. Kicked my Topanga off my board, which was a huge achievement!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I’d buy Chappers a decent haircut B)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
    Have you got an acoustic?  If not save it up and get a Sigma
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
    tone1 said:
    I’d buy Chappers a decent haircut B)
    Brilliant!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Personally, it'd be a Rat and some sort of delay pedal. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    Th4fonz said:
    I had one. Sounded very meh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    For £110? C’mon.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    fandango said:
    For £110? C’mon.
    Absolutely - a Rat is 62. That gives you 48 left for either a cheapie TC or Mooer thing, or add a bit and get a TC Flashback or whatever
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Strings. Lots of strings.
    I have watched a few videos on the Rat and have liked it so this may be a good shout.

ionian said:
    I'll check out some videos, thanks.Th4fonz said:
    I do...
  • Personally, it'd be a Rat and some sort of delay pedal. 
    This^^ Rat 2 and a tube screamer mini or Boss SD-1 or failing that grab an extra £6 and put that towards the boss DD-7 £116 at Andertons 
  • Personally, it'd be a Rat and some sort of delay pedal. 
    This^^ Rat 2 and a tube screamer mini or Boss SD-1 or failing that grab an extra £6 and put that towards the boss DD-7 £116 at Andertons 
    Your suggestions make me a sad panda
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The Oceans 11 looks like great value.  And if TheMarlin reckons it does spring better than his Topanga it must be really good.  That's what I'd buy, or maybe a Flashback 2 delay. For overdrive I've been through a few cheapies but ended up with a Wampler Pantheon - its more money than you would want to spend right now, but may be worth waiting/saving for as its very versatile and very good.  Not sure how well it would play with a modelling amp though, as others have said.