What do you put through the PA ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    If possible everything goes through the mains.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm curious about the number of folk using modellers.  All my life I've been told "valve amps are the best, digital is pants, solid state is second rate".  The dark art of NOS tubes and vintage celestions are the only things that can get you close to the holy grail of tonal nirvana.

...and now it seems that a lot of you have now gone "fuck this, this thing weighs a ton, chuck it though this computery box instead"!

What's going on?!!
    Modelling got better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Depends on Venue.  Small - vocals (and if used, electronic drum kit) only and an ambient backline, larger - DI everything.

Find that a 10w/25w Mesa Mini Rec is fine for live guitar.

Monitoring/ feedback is still a PITA (I'm too tall for traditional monitors that aren't >1M away from my feet, singer has the opposite problem he is usually swamped because he's short, drummer wants a monitor as he's mutton - which then creates copious mic feedback n- we've got all the IEM gear, but setup time (individual IEM Mixes) then becomes challenging.

Taken to having my own pre-input mic headphone amp for my vocals only, and IEM that.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    The affluent musicians tend to be older, so that allows for the development of digital products (no market otherwise). Younger players just assume computery things are good and those older players are thinking about thier backs more.

It's not yet a sea change, but the idea of a small digital package is not laughed at on professional stages.

I'm still in the valve amp and pedals catogory because it's very flexible on stage and I play with an assortment of bands/situations. If you only play one style with one band I guess having presets (and a list beside you) works. My back doesn't thank me for my choices but my heart and ears do.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ESBlonde said:
    The affluent musicians tend to be older, so that allows for the development of digital products (no market otherwise). Younger players just assume computery things are good and those older players are thinking about thier backs more.

It's not yet a sea change, but the idea of a small digital package is not laughed at on professional stages.

I'm still in the valve amp and pedals catogory because it's very flexible on stage and I play with an assortment of bands/situations. If you only play one style with one band I guess having presets (and a list beside you) works. My back doesn't thank me for my choices but my heart and ears do.

I use my Helix with a single amp and a few pedals that I switch on/off for 90% of what I do, means I'm doing just what you do only my back is fine :)  Occasionally go back to a proper amp and am 100% convinced there are no benefits to my ears either