Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: A killer littler pair of monitors.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    domforr said:
    Are these suitable for mixing, or more just for tracking/listening?

Mixing for commercial release, no- at least not as your only pair.
    I don’t use them for that, they sit next to my modular, which is 180 degrees away from my main studio monitors.

I’ve used them to comp vocals on and they were decent at that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Okay, thanks.  Is it feasible to mix on tiny monitors like the Eve SC 204, or is anything under 5inch a non-starter?

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Has anyone tried the weeny Genelecs and have an opinion how they compare ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Has anyone tried the weeny Genelecs and have an opinion how they compare ?
    The 8010’s?
    They have hardly any bottom end and are rear ported.
    8020’s are better, I’d happily have a pair of those, but I’d have the Neumann KH80’s first.
  • I just ordered a pair of these.

I was thinking of splashing out and getting some Genelecs.  I had a listen to the Genelecs in Andertons a couple of weeks back and decided that I’d like some 8020s,  but after thinking about it, something more modest (and small) might actually suit my basic setup better. (Laptop with Reaper)

Am looking forward to see how these turn out. 
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    I just ordered a pair of these.

I was thinking of splashing out and getting some Genelecs.  I had a listen to the Genelecs in Andertons a couple of weeks back and decided that I’d like some 8020s,  but after thinking about it, something more modest (and small) might actually suit my basic setup better. (Laptop with Reaper)

Yeah, me too, could you post back with a mini review/impressions please?  :)
  • Doug said:

Yeah, me too, could you post back with a mini review/impressions please?  :)
    I’ll try my best. I don’t really have any experience with proper studio monitors though so I don’t have much to compare against.  I’ve been using a pair of Audio Technica headphones until now. 

As as well as using them with a PC, I’ll be trying them out with an old Boss BR recorder and seeing what they are like plugged into my Yamaha DG Stomp pedal (Yes, I really am about a decade out of date!).
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited January 2019
    Doug said:

Yeah, me too, could you post back with a mini review/impressions please? 
    I’ll try my best. I don’t really have any experience with proper studio monitors though so I don’t have much to compare against.  I’ve been using a pair of Audio Technica headphones until now. 

As as well as using them with a PC, I’ll be trying them out with an old Boss BR recorder and seeing what they are like plugged into my Yamaha DG Stomp pedal (Yes, I really am about a decade out of date!).
     The above could have been me speaking/posting!,  
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Anyone got any experience with the Abacus C-Box? Supposedly a small monitor that is flat down to 35Hz, the down side being it won't go at all loud.

Stuckfast said:
    Anyone got any experience with the Abacus C-Box? Supposedly a small monitor that is flat down to 35Hz, the down side being it won't go at all loud.

I've heard them but never owned them.

Actually they are -3db at 35hz.
    They claim they are flat to 40hz, which I doubt to be true, but they are excellent little speakers with really good clarity in 300hz to 2k range at fairly low levels.
    I know some audio post people who use them for location monitoring.

They don't go loud.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378

8020s are *very* bright. It's the "Genelec sound" mind you, and they are not spitty, but you need to be aware of it. They do have a surprising bass extension considering their size though. I used some as "B" monitors for a long time (my main nearfields are Tannoys). But, I finally sold the Genelecs and recently also picked up some iLouds which I mainly use as monitors for my synth rig, so I can play it without having to boot up the computer. They are attached to a little Soundcraft mixer which I have my main keys stuff plugged into, and it's a super fun little setup, very fast to get going and sounds superb.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3008
    edited January 2019
    Well they turned up.

Very quick and easy to set up.

I was pleased with how they feel, they do look a bit plasticy in photos but they feel much more solid and professional than I expected.

I was also pleased with the kick stand thing, it’s got a rubbery coating so doesn’t slip around on my desk.

Bluetooth setup was really painless.

Mrs Fred thought they looked cute, which is a big plus. I also think she was pleased when I revealed I hadn’t dropped 600 quid on the Genelecs and got these instead.

Finally, to my untrained ear, they sound really good.  I was expecting them to in fairness, with all the positive reviews and comments, but it’s still a bit of a shock to hear the quality of sound that comes out of the little buggers.

So far, so good. I’ll think they’ll suit me very well as I start learning how to use Reaper.

https://youtu.be/NGkYMIG9U5c

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Glad you are digging them.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Oh these do look interesting.  I might be after some mini monitors soon so I can take the cans off every now and then and pace around the room
    edited January 2019
    Bigger and and more expensive- $700 each monitor, which puts them against the Neumann KH120's.

They look cool though and I could be interested in a pair for my video editing system.
    Aren't they €426.99 per monitor?
    Yes you are right- I read the wrong information on Gearslutz.
    That is much more compelling a price.
    Yes, seems pretty good value
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited January 2019
    I initially thought they were only slightly more expensive than the regular iLouds. Nope, they're more than 2x more expensive because the price listed is per monitor.. Wonder if they are considerably better..