Is there a simple, no nonsense, way to use Audacity?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
If there is, I have not found it!  I want to set it up as a replay system for FLAC files.  It reads, imports and plays them fine.  Same as any other FLAC player.  Why I am tearing what little hair I have left out is that I cannot figure out how to mark a piece of the track and replay that section until stopped by myself.  In other words to loop over that section.  I am trying to learn some songs and the loop function seems to be hidden or not enabled on my download.  I have Audacity 2.2.2.

Looping is simplicity itself on my Tascam CD-GT1 mk 11 but this means locating the CD, a lot are stored in our attic and when/if I find it, I have lost the will to learn the piece.  I have most of my music collection ripped to my hard drive and saved as FLAC files.  As I said, playback is fine so how do I setup a loop?

Many thanks guys, please go easy on me as I am not up to speed on anything that Audacity or similar systems can do.  And the on-line videos or text is usually incomprehensible techno babble to me.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited January 2019
    Highlight the section you want to loop (LEFT CLICK, drag, release) and then press SHIFT and the PLAY button
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Highlight the section you want to loop (LEFT CLICK, drag, release) and then press SHIFT and the PLAY button
    Or hold shift and press space bar.

Is there a way to easily adjust the start and finish points once the loop is selected? I can only find a way to start afresh each time when I just want to nudge the current selection a few fractions of second.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Or hold shift and press space bar.

Is there a way to easily adjust the start and finish points once the loop is selected? I can only find a way to start afresh each time when I just want to nudge the current selection a few fractions of second.
    Not that I know of in Audacity.

I use a venerable old copy of Cool Edit Pro on my (WinXP) music computer - this does allow you to move the loop points while playing.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Rocker said:
    ...I am not up to speed on anything that Audacity or similar systems can do.  And the on-line videos or text is usually incomprehensible techno babble to me.
    You may prefer to spend about 30 Euro on Transcribe!  
    It's incredibly simple to use and is dedicated to just one thing and does it very well:  transcription and all that you need to do it.  Which isn't much to be fair.  And you can try it free for 30 days to see if you bond with it :)
  • shoodursshoodurs Frets: 35
    edited January 2019
    You can also highlight the piece you want to loop then copy and paste it multiple times in a new bar thingy. I did this a while back to try and learn a piece of a solo. Worked a treat.
  • Rocker, Riffstation Pro is completely free and will do everything you want and more.  It's much easier to use than Audacity 

https://pro.riffstation.com/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Grunfeld said:
    Rocker said:
    ...I am not up to speed on anything that Audacity or similar systems can do.  And the on-line videos or text is usually incomprehensible techno babble to me.
    You may prefer to spend about 30 Euro on Transcribe!  
    It's incredibly simple to use and is dedicated to just one thing and does it very well:  transcription and all that you need to do it.  Which isn't much to be fair.  And you can try it free for 30 days to see if you bond with it :)
    This.

Or DJ Free/Pro iPhone apps.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    @steamabacus, your method works. I only got to try it last evening and it worked as you said. I simply played the track as normal, noted the start and stop points for the loop. Many thanks.

Thanks too to all the others who replied to my question.  One of these days I will check out Riffstation Pro but until then Audacity will do the job nicely.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum