Audio interface weirdness - any ideas

What's Hot
Hi folks,

My bassist has this audio interface that we decided to try to use to record drums and vocals while we rehearse:

Komplete Audio 6 Native Instruments

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004YPRPJ6/ref=asc_df_B004YPRPJ658142110/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B004YPRPJ6&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310807566199&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10633096259582698390&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045916&hvtargid=pla-362879266231&th=1&psc=1

Last night we tried plugging in the electric drum kit into input one, and the mic into input two. The sound was set up to come out of some monitor speakers. So far so good. Sound came out great.

I wanted to take record those two inputs with my Zoom H5 recorder. But the only way I could get any sound at all into the Zoom was by taking a line from the phones out of the Komplete. 

That's obviously not ideal. But most confusing was that the Zoom only picked up the sound from input one (the drums), not the vocals from 2. Even though both were coming out of the monitors fine. When we swapped the drums and mic around, then it was the vocal that came through only. Which suggests it's something to do with input 2.

Any ideas?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    First up, you can only direct monitor inputs 1+2, which sounds like what you wanted to do.

The direct monitor will output to either output 1+2, output 3+4 or both. So if the monitor is set to outputs 1+2 you should get the input 1+2 signal routed as such. You shouldn't need to use the headphone out to record the signal. You set the direct monitor out in the control panel or by holding down the monitor ON switch to cycle through.

I'd start there.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Thanks for such a quick response @blobb ;;

So do you mean that I should be taking a cable from the back of the device, from one of these? The 'L R' one?

Sorry if that's an obvious question, but new to this!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    Yup.

Is the drum kit sending out a mono (L/R combined) or stereo signal (L/R on individual outputs)?
    I'm doing this from memory as I'm not there any more. If I remember, our monitor speakers were actually plugged into the 'LR balanced main 1/2 out'. Does that mean I can either send the signal to a Zoom OR the monitor speakers, but not both?

I'm not sure about the drum kit either. Perhaps I need to go back over to my mate's house and check all these details first. Anything else I need to check that would help diagnose the problem?

You can send the direct monitor signal (from inputs 1+2) to outputs 1+2, outputs 3+4 or both at the same time. Hold down the monitor on button to cycle through. The light on the unit changes to tell you which monitor outputs are active.

Send outputs 1+2 (L/R) to speakers (L/R), send outputs 3+4 to recorder input 1+2. Switch direct monitor to  both outputs and you should get the input signal routed to both pairs of outputs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    blobb said:
    You can send the direct monitor signal (from inputs 1+2) to outputs 1+2, outputs 3+4 or both at the same time. Hold down the monitor on button to cycle through. The light on the unit changes to tell you which monitor outputs are active.

Send outputs 1+2 (L/R) to speakers (L/R), send outputs 3+4 to recorder input 1+2. Switch direct monitor to  both outputs and you should get the input signal routed to both pairs of outputs. 
    Thanks! Really appreciate your help with this @blobb. I'll try it out and report back...

Sorry @blobb , another newbie question:

Is this the lead I would need to connect them?

Does it matter that the jacks are 'mono'? 

I also have the option to feed the audio into the zoom here (which would knock out the room mic, but leave the main inputs free for other things:

Would I need this cable for that?

From KA6, outputs 1+2 to speakers (L/R)

From KA6, outputs 3+4 to either:

- H5 inputs 1+2 on the bottom of the recorder. 2x mono cables (i.e. guitar leads)

This would record a MULTI file i.e. 2 tracks on the H5. One for the left channel and one for the right channel, although as the input signals are summed together in the KA6, the 2 channels would sound the same (I think)

or

-  use a mono to stereo (2 mono to 1 stereo) as you have shown above - the bottom one - and connect it to the line in socket. This would record a single stereo track, as if you had used the H5 mics.

blobb said:

From KA6, outputs 1+2 to speakers (L/R)

From KA6, outputs 3+4 to either:

- H5 inputs 1+2 on the bottom of the recorder. 2x mono cables (i.e. guitar leads)

This would record a MULTI file i.e. 2 tracks on the H5. One for the left channel and one for the right channel, although as the input signals are summed together in the KA6, the 2 channels would sound the same (I think)

or

-  use a mono to stereo (2 mono to 1 stereo) as you have shown above - the bottom one - and connect it to the line in socket. This would record a single stereo track, as if you had used the H5 mics.

Thanks, all working great!

Party dj Icons  Free Download