Bass Riff of the Month (BRotM) #10 - Chat

stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
edited December 2018 in Making Music
Here's the 10th Bass Riff of the Month (BRotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 24th January 2019.

BRotM can be interpreted by the entrants, ie as simple or complex as they like, to encourage as many as possible to get involved. It could be anything from a single RAW bass track to a full mix of instruments. However, the focus must be on the bass riff. 

The bass riff needs to be created using a real stringed bass instrument.

Aim to keep it to a maximum of 50 seconds. This is about riffs, not songs.

Send your entry (as an mp3) to brotm@thefb.co.uk
Include your forum name in the email.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point. The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.  

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/brotm10-2018-11

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Done mine. I'll wait for another entry before I create a playlist.

I'm feeling inspired because I just an upgrade to Steven Slate Drums 5, which sound great.

It's not a competition.
  • Weekend reminder. Entry is open until 23rd November. which is next Friday.
    It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes tonight at 11.30pm. But If there are less than three entries I'll extend the deadline for another month.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I've missed this again. It's becoming complicated to find things - I think this section needs a redesign.

I have finally finished my studio rebuild so will be a regular entrant from now on.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited November 2018
    Fretwired said:
    I've missed this again. It's becoming complicated to find things - I think this section needs a redesign.

I have finally finished my studio rebuild so will be a regular entrant from now on.

It's going to be carried over to next month, if we don't get enough/any entries. The various monthly challenges need a rethink in the new year as interest seems to be waning.

Any suggestions are gratefully received.

It's not a competition.
  • Extended to 23rd December, so there are (hopefully) at least three entries.

It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:

It's going to be carried over to next month, if we don't get enough/any entries. The various monthly challenges need a rethink in the new year as interest seems to be waning.

Any suggestions are gratefully received.

I like to take part - sounds awful but I forget about the deadline. And trying to find what's current is hard. I think a clearer section would help to promote what's going one and to get people to take part and offer more feedback.

edited December 2018
    A reminder that the deadline has been extended to 23rd December

This is the case for Riff the Month (RotM) and Raw Riff of the Month (RRotM) as well, which are at the links below:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143223/riff-of-the-month-rotm-48-chat#latest

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143224/raw-riff-of-the-month-rrotm-41-chat#latest

It's not a competition.
  • Just a reminder of this challenge. If there are no entries, I'll run it over for another month and if there's still nothing after that I think it's time to knock this one on the head.

It's not a competition.
    And entered.

• Fretwired said:
    And entered.

Excellent. I've started a playlist in the original post.

It would be good to get at least one more entry before I start the voting. @Fretwired how do you feel about carrying it over for another month if I don't get another entry? Or would you prefer to start the voting this month?

It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:
    And entered.

Excellent. I've started a playlist in the original post.

It would be good to get at least one more entry before I start the voting. @Fretwired how do you feel about carrying it over for another month if I don't get another entry? Or would you prefer to start the voting this month?

I don't mind .. is there some way we can target those who regularly enter? This section can seem out of the way ...

• Fretwired said:
    I don't mind .. is there some way we can target those who regularly enter? This section can seem out of the way ...

I try to do fairly regular bumps. I'm not sure how to target previous entrants, without feeling like I'm hounding them :)

It might be good to have a "Music Challenges" sub-section but I'm sure that those that could make that happen are too busy with other stuff right now, so I don't want to bother them.

It's not a competition.
    edited December 2018
    Extended for another month (again) to 24th January 2019.

Hopefully we'll get more entries. Last call because, if not, it's sadly time to discontinue this challenge.

It's not a competition.
  • Two entries so far. It would be good to get at least one more entry.
    It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited January 2019
    Will try to get something over for all the challenges!!!! Mac now relocated to a safe location
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited January 2019
    I'll be back contributing as soon as work allows and I shift this manflu that has been lurking for weeks now !
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Ive only gone and sent one in :)

• poopot said:
    Ive only gone and sent one in :)

Many thanks. Now we have 3 entries in the playlist in the original post.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes 11:30pm on 24th January 2019. Still a couple of days for more entries.

It's not a competition.