Open University B Mus

What's Hot
Anyone done this? Or any modules off this course?

Thanks Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I didn't know they did one. Last time I looked there were only a few musical modules and to do any of those you had to do a "foundation course" on The Impact of Religion on Victorian Society - or some such bollocks that wasn't relevant. I get that people who have not done a 3rd level education before might need some kind of foundation course to get them used to the methods of study but (i) I think the foundation course ought to be relevant (ii) a foundation course shouldn't be necessary if you've already got a degree in something else.

If they've really bucked their ideas up and got a proper music degree course together then good luck to them, but tbh I stopped looking years ago
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    I looked into it but it was more expensive than I thought it would be. How much is it now?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    I looked into it but it was more expensive than I thought it would be. How much is it now?
    Bloody expensive unless u live in Wales
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    What do you hope to gain from doing a BMus, aside from debt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    octatonic said:
    Wis awarded. I know someone who’s just earned a doctorate in music composition. They’re currently working in retail on minimum wage....
  • octatonic said:
    @beed84 IMO the rewards are not necessarily financial. I'd do it (i) to prove to myself that I could (ii) to find things out that I don't know now (iii) to experience the journey of finding those things out (iv) so that I could use what I'd learned in making my own music and enjoying other peoples' music.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    octatonic said:
    @beed84 IMO the rewards are not necessarily financial. I'd do it (i) to prove to myself that I could (ii) to find things out that I don't know now (iii) to experience the journey of finding those things out (iv) so that I could use what I'd learned in making my own music and enjoying other peoples' music.
    You can do all except (i) on your own... :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    May have changed recently, but last time I looked it was mainly music appreciation
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    I keep looking at the Berklee online stuff for similar reasons!
  • newi123 said:
    I keep looking at the Berklee online stuff for similar reasons!
    You must have deep pockets then!

The Dime Online course looks good if you’re into the more technical side of guitar playing.
  • octatonic said:
    You can do all except (i) on your own... :)
    So long as you have the means of finding out what things you don't already know that you have to find out 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    beed84 said:
    octatonic said:
    Wis awarded. I know someone who’s just earned a doctorate in music composition. They’re currently working in retail on minimum wage.
    Somebody I know moved to Sheffield and completed a degree in Music. He has never used it. He currently works in I.T. 

A former work colleague, in a relatively menial role, on a West Wales oil refinery, also has a degree. (English and History, I think.) Again, he has never used it. I first met him when we worked on a refinery shutdown, hoping to clear his student loan debt quickly. 

One of my school contemporaries had more than enough intelligence to go to college or university. Instead, he followed his father into the local government highways maintenance workforce. This is probably the nearest thing to a job for life. The pay is not the highest but neither is the work load.
    Be seeing you.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    octatonic said:
    I don't disagree; however, there are other more affordable ways of doing those things without having to do a degree in it and potentially racking up thousands of pounds worth of debt in doing so. Maybe doing practical grades and music theory exams would be more suitable; going to masterclasses for inspiration; reading books on music and setting yourself assignments because you're genuinely curious, and perhaps maybe a diploma if you want to take it further. But if the rewards are merely the above with no real purpose or end game in mind apart from "because you can", then the rewards are possibly not worth it.

As an analogy, I could learn how to drive if I wanted to, but see no need as I can get about perfectly fine without having to fork out for lessons, tests, a car, tax, mot, and petrol.
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    As a counterweight to some of the other experiences here, I did a degree in Music (and drama, a real "pointless degree" according to many populist leaning opinions these days) and I have worked in the music industry since graduating nearly twenty years ago. I use my degree every day.

But even if I hadn't, the experience of reading and considering music in an advanced and structured way was incredibly beneficial to my personal development as an individual and equipped me with many intangible skills that can be applied both within and outside of a musical or artistic context.

I have no experience of the BMus on the OU although I have worked in education offering BMus courses and I think as long as you go in knowing what you want to get out you will find it a worthwhile journey. 

YMMV.