Kawai K1

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9982
Back in the mid eighties I played in a rock band as second guitarist ... and used to slide behind a keyboard during certain numbers to provide simple strings fills. My keyboard was a Kawai K1, and I've always had a soft spot for that model. I'm not yearning for the dreadful poodle perm I had then ... or the pink fender HM Strat I used ... but I'd rather like to get my hands on an old K1 again ... it was huge fun and very evocative of an era.
Anyone else use/used/remember those?
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited August 2018
    I had the K1r module for a couple of years. It was meant to rival the Roland D10/D20/D110. It added a few twists that the Rolands lacked but omitted any form of filtering.

Both brands suffered from the usual mid Eighties digital synthesizer user interface handicap; increment/decrement buttons and a two-line LCD. Programming was the proverbial "decorating the hallway through the letterbox" faff. Despite this, I managed to create a few noises of my own. My favourite was a honking, distorted saxophone type solo lead sound. I named the patch after Sarah Smith of Cardiacs.

Back in the day, some friends (and D10 owners) took great delight in pointing out that my K1r produced more background digital noise than their Roland. Truth was, both products were the economy models of their respective ranges. The "pro" models slaughtered them.

In my opinion, if you wish to revisit those sounds from your youth, it would be wiser to find a Kawai K4. (It has filters!) Some good software synth renditions of this technology are now available.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994

guilty as charged yer honour , i had one and a d110 then a proteus 1 module then sold them and got an M1 and then at the end a kurzweil k2000r  along with the ubiqutus atari 1040st  a very creative time ...
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Had a K1 rack around 1990-91. Used the breathy vocal sounds on lots of tracks...ah fond memories!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    I've got one in a case somewhere - my first synth with full size keys. I'm sure they go for peanuts on eBay if you're after one
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    horse said:
     I'm sure they go for peanuts on eBay if you're after one
    That was going to be my suggestion too.  eBay search with a daily alert and you’ll find one.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PhilMPhilM Frets: 278
    I think I have a K1M module in the loft somewhere... 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    PhilM said:
    I think I have a K1M module in the loft somewhere... 
    In that case, it's probably overdue for a memory back-up battery change.
    Be seeing you.
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    edited January 2019
    @TheGuitarWeasel ;;;
    Just saw this pop up on ebay and thought of your thread... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawai-K1-vintage-synth-and-Yamaha-Sound-Module/163508488844?hash=item2611dd8a8c:g:uZEAAOSwmo1cTOib:rk:25:pf:0

No affiliation, etc, etc.

May well need some TLC from the looks of it, but not only do you get what you're after, but you get a fun challenging project to boot ;)