Eastman Acoustics - A quick try out

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849

Popped in to Guitar Village in Farnham yesterday, what a nice place that is, they clearly take a lot of care in selecting and presenting their instruments. Love the strategically placed chairs in each room that invite you to sit down and play.

Tried a few different acoustics in the £600 - £800 range - Faith, Guild, Taylor - all okay. Tried a Furch, then found a couple of Eastman Antique Finished acoustics, the E10-SS/V and the E10-00 SS/V and tried them. Both were absolutely lovely, a dream to play and sounded great.

The E10-SS/V felt comfortable for a dreadnought. Very light and incredibly resonant, the whole guitar just seemed to ring out without being boomey. You know how some guitars feel like they are strung tightly and others seem like they hold no tension at all, this felt like that. Smooth as silk running up and down the fretboard with barre chords and producing all kinds of lovely subtle overtones. Nice bass side, pleasant treble.

The E10-00 SS/V (14 fret Parlour) had a similar tone to the dreadnought, a little more boxy sound, but in a nice way. The sound you'd expect from a blues era parlour guitar. Really nice bass side again, it encouraged some blues style open E beats out of me which is most unusual! Responds well to dynamic picking so can be heard with some encouragement and also produced some lovely overtones.

I absolutely loved the E10-SS/V to play. The looks I can take or leave really, but access to the upper frets is an issue for me without a cutaway, I'd really like to try one of the Eastman Grand Auditoriums next to a Taylor to see how they compare.

Super impressed with both guitars. Admittedly they were both £200 north of the others I tried and due to time and locked guitar constraints I didn’t get the change to A-B with similar priced Larivees, Maton, Martins or Taylors, but IMO they blew away  the Furch I tried which was around £1k.

The very engaging and helpful assistant told me the boss was currently in NAMM buting quite a few new Eastman guitars so they would be increasing stock soon. They are now atop my list for a a new acoustic, just need to work out shape and budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The non-relic'd ones are really good too and a bit cheaper. Ivor Maraints usually has one in stock  
  • Eastman are totally nailing it with these, I picked up an E10-SS/V at the end of last year and it's a fantastic instrument. Ignore the price and you'd think you were playing something for twice the value (it trounced a Gibson J35 Collector's Edition I previously owned). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Eastman are totally nailing it with these, I picked up an E10-SS/V at the end of last year and it's a fantastic instrument. Ignore the price and you'd think you were playing something for twice the value (it trounced a Gibson J35 Collector's Edition I previously owned). 
    Well, here's the thing... The E10-SS/V said £1,999 Used. Sitting there playing it I thought 'fair enough price for this'.

Checked later online and noticed new ones go for around £1400 ! Checked Guitar Village and it's listed on the website at £1,199 - the first 9 was a typo on the label!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I agree that Eastmans are great. I tried it against a J35 and it stood up well. I love how lightly they are built. The narrower nut bothers me a bit but the Adirondack top is a great plus for me. 
    people must really love these guitars there’s hardly any on the used market 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    edited January 2019
    Eastman are totally nailing it with these, I picked up an E10-SS/V at the end of last year and it's a fantastic instrument. Ignore the price and you'd think you were playing something for twice the value (it trounced a Gibson J35 Collector's Edition I previously owned). 
    I have a E10-00, the 12 fret 00, and as fine a guitar as it was to begin with it took a few years 'to open up' and my ears believe it has really improved, sounds more balanced if that makes sense. 

If you are pleased with your Red Spruce Eastman for the time being IMO it only get better with being played more. 
    I tried a collectors edition at the same time. I liked it and the E10 much better than the J35, shows how average the J35 is, dare I say it. It’s that dam Gibson logo put people in a trance 
    If you check any of Richards guitars YouTube content you may think he has shares in the company. Man he’s enthusiastic about them 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited January 2019
    Andy79 said:
    If you check any of Richards guitars YouTube content you may think he has shares in the company. Man he’s enthusiastic about them 
    I’ve tried but I can’t make it through a whole video.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What a guy
    I keep thinking about that Eastman Dreadnought I tried, it's haunting me! It may very well become one of the ones that got away...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Did you look at a martin dreadnought jr, I tried one in anderton's last week, I wasn't looking for acoustics and have no need for another but am still thinking about getting one.
    edited January 2019
    munckee said:
    Did you look at a martin dreadnought jr, I tried one in anderton's last week, I wasn't looking for acoustics and have no need for another but am still thinking about getting one.
    No, I did didn't. It wasn't really a serious trying and buying mission, I was just passing by and stopped in.

I'll do a full day at some point to take in VG / Andertons and some other places to try as many as possible, might drag you along for advice!

Selling my Epiphone 339 so will be ready for an incoming after that, but thinking of getting a cheap SC bass for us to practice Who Knew / Yellow. 
  • I've had an Eastman Parlour for about 4 years, wouldn't swap it for the world.
    Cost me £800 from GG -  Now I think they are around £1200
  • I nearly bought a used Eastman a couple of years back but went with a used 00028 instead.

Both are nice, but I'd read about problems with the wood drying on Eastman a in the period the one I looked at was made, which put me off.

Can't say I'm dissapointed with the Martin though at £100 more.
    There are some sapele backed ones from NAMM at g village. Much cheaper than the standard range. Bet they sound pretty good too. 
    Andy79 said:
    There are some sapele backed ones from NAMM at g village. Much cheaper than the standard range. Bet they sound pretty good too. 
    Those Eastman LTD run acoustics look good, I'm not sure why they are so much cheaper than the similar spec E10ss? Solid Adirondack top, Sapele b&s, ebony board.

Natural finish and laminate maybe?
  • Andy79 said:
    Nope, they are all solid.  I think they are cheaper as they have Sapele back and sides opposed to Mahogany, which is generally a more expensive wood (not better, Sapele also makes excellent guitars) 

They now have a Double Top acoustic guitar, very interesting, few production models around.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Andy79 said:
    There are two finishes, natural and CLA.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e1ss_ltd
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    interested in trying a double top.