Remastering Challenge?

Is anyone up for a Remastering Challenge? We would all start with the same mixed but unmastered track and see what we can do only using master channel plugins.

I'd be really interested to see what the differences are in term of what we come up with/how well it works on good speakers and shitty headphones. Sharing workflow could really help those of us who haven't a clue what to do in the mastering stage other than make it loud.

And then we can vote so there's a winner as with all the other challenges.

Both my good self and @poopot are happy to host it if there's appetite.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    I don't think more than a handful of posters on here could meaningfully vote on the results conclusively given their lack of a good room to listen in and experience. Does @Octatonic feel like being the judging panel?
  • I'll have a bash I suspect my effort might be pretty ham fisted though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Why not .. lets have a go ... I vote yes.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2019
    I don't think more than a handful of posters on here could meaningfully vote on the results conclusively given their lack of a good room to listen in and experience. Does @Octatonic feel like being the judging panel?
    I would like to but I am off to Tasmania next week and won't be in my studio until the end of of February or the end of March, depending on how it goes.

Having a good room and good monitoring will actually help the mastering process more than the listening process.

In two scenarios:

a) mastered in a good room with excellent monitors, but listened to on average equipment
    b) mastered in a normal room on normal gear but listened to on high end equipment in a treated controller room

... it is A that most closely replicates the way in which mastering would usually be done and listening would usually occur.

I'm not saying this challenge isn't a good idea- I still think it should be done.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I’m in! As you know :)

happy to start this one on saturday... can even throw up a choice of tracks... I know @flying_pie has a track in mind also...

lets do it... can give the mixing challenge a break till March whilst I get some tracks sorted for that!...
  • L1 is ready
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Thanks for the input @octatonic

My understanding had always been that we judge mastering by what we listen to most music on. In my case that's my car where stuff sounds okay and my wife's car where my tracks sound shit but proper stuff on Spotify still sounds okay.

I think we should listen on at least two real world devices (could even be a mobile phone speaker) during the voting. That way we can share how the same mix was mastered and better understand the process
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    If your room and monitoring is bang on then you don’t need multiple monitors/rooms, but it can cost quite a bit to do this.
    5 figures for room, 4 figures for monitors.

FWIW Andrew Scheps has mixed on headphones, but he is a bit of a genius mixer.