Eastman Acoustics - A quick try out

What's Hot

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Nobody can tell the tonal or visual difference between hog or sapele so I can’t wait. Bring it on. 
    a good few guitars peaking interest this year from Eastman Lowden and Martin 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79 said:
    Nobody can tell the tonal or visual difference between hog or sapele so I can’t wait. Bring it on. 
    a good few guitars peaking interest this year from Eastman Lowden and Martin 
    There is a slight difference but not IMO not one really worth making much of a big deal out of. 

Eastman also have a few new models with roasted Red Spruce soundboards.  I have a suspicion it will be sourced from the same supplier Collings obtains their Red Spruce from. 
  • earwighoney said:
    I have a suspicion it will be sourced from the same supplier Collings obtains their Red Spruce from. 
    Interesting.
    Why do you think that?
  • Any opinions on how Eastman compares to Furch?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    GAViN617 said:
    Any opinions on how Eastman compares to Furch?
    Only from a very quick try of a Furch which was next to the two Eastman guitars.... the Eastman's were smoother to play and more resonant, responsive and had more complex overtones.

The Adirondack tops seem to really be good. Not too trebley! 
  • earwighoney said:
    I have a suspicion it will be sourced from the same supplier Collings obtains their Red Spruce from. 
    Interesting.
    Why do you think that?
    It's on John Griffin's website, 

http://www.adirondackspruce.com/

He's one of the main dealers of Red Spruce around, and Eastman & Collings are some of his clients. 

I remember reading for the guitar I own, the E-10 -00, the sets were around 20 years old.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @earwighoney. Thanks.
    Incoming  ;)
    Ooo what you bought??
    edited February 2019
    Andy79 said:
    Ooo what you bought??

I will update when it arrives!
    This very nice thing arrived this afternoon.

Eastman E10ss https://imgur.com/gallery/P53POuC

Unfortunately, the low E keeps sliding off the fretboard. It's been cut probably half a width too close I reckon. See below and let me know what you think. 

E string cut https://imgur.com/gallery/phJsllx

Don't know how easy it is to resolve, or if I should just send it back? 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    Been playing this all week having decided I'm going to keep it.

Huge thanks again to Peach who could not have done more to assist, and my apologies if I was a bit ranty on Tuesday but I was disappointed it wasn't perfect.

I've adjusted my playing to cope with the low E problem, trying to make sure I don't push up on it when I fret. 

The guitar is superb. It's got all the deep boom of a dreadnought when playing open G and Em, lovely woody mids and lots of clarity. 

The top is really response, especially around the bridge where little taps ring out. It has a sort of natural tremolo as the note decays and i can feel the air being pushed out. 

The nut aside, it's faultless to my eye. Simple binding and rosette looks great and the mahogany is truly gorgeous, I'll upload some detailed photos tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments regarding the nut, really useful and very glad I didn't decide to send back what is a very nice guitar which should give me years of pleasure. 

Edit: the only other problem is that my Ovation now sounds like dogshit. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Fuengi said:
    Been playing this all week having decided I'm going to keep it.

Huge thanks again to Peach who could not have done more to assist, and my apologies if I was a bit ranty on Tuesday but I was disappointed it wasn't perfect.

I've adjusted my playing to cope with the low E problem, trying to make sure I don't push up on it when I fret. 

The guitar is superb. It's got all the deep boom of a dreadnought when playing open G and Em, lovely woody mids and lots of clarity. 

The top is really response, especially around the bridge where little taps ring out. It has a sort of natural tremolo as the note decays and i can feel the air being pushed out. 

The nut aside, it's faultless to my eye. Simple binding and rosette looks great and the mahogany is truly gorgeous, I'll upload some detailed photos tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments regarding the nut, really useful and very glad I didn't decide to send back what is a very nice guitar which should give me years of pleasure. 

Edit: the only other problem is that my Ovation now sounds like dogshit. 
    Pleased to hear you like it.  I have a E-10-00 and it is a truly superb guitar.  

One thing I'd say regarding it's sound it will improve, mine took a few years of playing. From my experience new acoustic guitars with spruce soundboards take a bit of playing before sounding their best, and as Red Spruce is stiffer than Sitka etc it takes a bit more time. 

Give it that time and you will be greatly rewarded! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

One thing I'd say regarding it's sound it will improve, mine took a few years of playing. From my experience new acoustic guitars with spruce soundboards take a bit of playing before sounding their best, and as Red Spruce is stiffer than Sitka etc it takes a bit more time. 

Good to hear. What other acoustics do you have and how does Eastman compare? 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    Fuengi said:

Good to hear. What other acoustics do you have and how does Eastman compare? 
    I own a Stanford OM (Furch designed but with a different name on the headstock) and some single luthier built guitars, 2 of which are nylon string guitars (flamenco guitars) and the other one is a steel string acoustic made by a chap by the name of Per Marklund; a repro of a 1938 Martin 00-21S.  There are a few good videos of his guitars on Youtube if you have a spare moment. 

As for comparing the Eastman to my other guitars, it's not something I really like doing.  I like all my guitars and irrespective of the price I paid for Eastman it is a fantastic guitar and one I would be very reluctant to sell. 
    Update after a week of playing.

The low E string seems to have settled in and it's far easier to play without buzzing or slipping off the board now.

I think half the problem was the nut, and half the new strings Peach put on it before sending it out. The low E was stiff and would not intonate. It took a few days to settle in. 

Gotta say the reputation Eastman have gained isn't for nothing. Very impressive.

I'm probably going to leave the nut for now, it's really not causing a problem since the string has settled and I've become accustomed to it.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Let me know if you change your mind, I very much want one of these!
    Let me know if you change your mind, I very much want one of these!
    We think Ivor Mairants have the only other one that is the old spec. New ones are held by Richards Guitars. 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    edited March 2019
    Andy79 said:
    Natural finish and laminate maybe?
    Nope, they are all solid.  I think they are cheaper as they have Sapele back and sides opposed to Mahogany, which is generally a more expensive wood (not better, Sapele also makes excellent guitars) 

They now have a Double Top acoustic guitar, very interesting, few production models around.  
    £1299 as opposed to £499? I can't get my head around it. That mahogany doesn't seem worth it! 

I can't find any good info on the ins and outs but that limited edition seems like a right bargain.
    Sure does! Look at the D15. Nobody can tell sapele from mahogany and Martin didn’t  mind charging the same for either 
    these guitars will be a steal