Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Guitar Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Mine arrived today :), you’ll have a blast 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited February 2019
    Which did you go for @sweepy? ;;; ignore that just seen the ngd post
    I had a 63 i loved it, was a really great guitar but i never had time to play it much so ended up selling
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I tried 3 in GG Epsom but the one i ended up with just sang and had a mighty bridge pickup, seemed much louder and punchier than the others along with a looser feel
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    It's here, too dark to do photos now but really nice so far.  I'll do a NGD tomorrow probs

Going to have to get used to the rounded neck, I'm used to the plank on my R8 now. Do the historic reissues have square shoulders?
    It's pretty nice, not gonna lie

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sweet man congrats!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227

Wow, that is gorgeous @roberty ;

Huge congrats. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Thanks! Here are my blowout Gibsons

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn. That is epic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Won't do a new thread but will post some comments here -

Setup was good out the box after truss rod adjustment.  It needed to be tightened _a lot_ (nearly a whole turn)

No finish flaws or scraggy edges, QC is spot on :+1: (stick that in your PRS!). Neck a bit sticky to start with but smoothing out after a few hours play

Acoustically it sustains like a champ and is just incredibly harmonically rich, an abundance of musical overtones

Electrically, the MHS pickups are just right for this guitar IMO, the right balance of woodiness and bite.  The tone controls are very usable, don't usually bother them but it is very rewarding here

The neck is very round and slimmer feeling than the measurements would suggest (.85"/.95").  Was a bit of a shock at first but once the truss rod was sorted out I quickly got used to it

No regrets here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    roberty said:
    Won't do a new thread but will post some comments here -

Setup was good out the box after truss rod adjustment.  It needed to be tightened _a lot_ (nearly a whole turn)

No finish flaws or scraggy edges, QC is spot on :+1: (stick that in your PRS!). Neck a bit sticky to start with but smoothing out after a few hours play

Acoustically it sustains like a champ and is just incredibly harmonically rich, an abundance of musical overtones

Electrically, the MHS pickups are just right for this guitar IMO, the right balance of woodiness and bite.  The tone controls are very usable, don't usually bother them but it is very rewarding here

The neck is very round and slimmer feeling than the measurements would suggest (.85"/.95").  Was a bit of a shock at first but once the truss rod was sorted out I quickly got used to it

No regrets here
    Sounds superb. Proper congrats. So much for Gibsons all having issues. 

There. I said it  ;)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:

I've just had a new ES335 61 reissue on the bench on behalf of a customer  - Customer purchased it mail order from GG last week and brought it into me for a check-up, opinion etc - One of the deals down to £2400-ish

As an overview the guitar was fine regarding QC etc  - However big bow in the neck and I bet I've had to turn it at least 1/2 a turn, maybe more, to get the right amount of relief - Normally I would not mention this but this is the 2nd or 3rd similar comment on a 335 on this thread - Not an issue that it needed a tweak, more a case of a larger tweak than I'd have expected on such a new guitar

Bit of the usual Gibson issue on the truss rod in that the truss rod tool barely fits around the nut - Either not enough wood cut out or to much lacquer - So a bit of a fight to get the truss rod tool on, then off

Frets are fine - Rosewood a touch light

Just about finished my work on it and it plays so much better now then it did when I first played it
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1410
    Yes I had to turn mine about half a turn too. I also thought that was quite a lot!
    Interesting - the guitar was also downtuned when it arrived maybe this is a shipping precaution?

I did just over half a turn and then after it settled it needed more so went again another quarter.  Massive improvement in playability, same as in your case @guitars4you .  Was a big relief (geddit?!)
  • I got my 345 from GG about 2 and a half years ago.
    I've never had to touch the trussrod.
    I just wanted to share to add a bit of balance to the thread
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178

Bit of the usual Gibson issue on the truss rod in that the truss rod tool barely fits around the nut - Either not enough wood cut out or to much lacquer - So a bit of a fight to get the truss rod tool on, then off

That was exactly the case with my ’58 reissue.  I thought I was using the wrong size truss rod tool initially (it didn’t come with one).  It was a total ball-ache, practically had to hammer it on there.

The ’63 reissue I bought more recently hasn’t needed tweaking but did come with a tool.  

• Truss rods are there to be adjusted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Truss rods are there to be adjusted.
    they are but I can't recall any new guitar in the last year that I've sold that has required so much adjustment out of the box - It was not a slight tweak it was a major tweak - Surprised it left both Gibson and GG like that - Appreciate the finer detail of any set-up is a matter of taste and playing style, but this is just so wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Fishboy7 said:

That was exactly the case with my ’58 reissue.  I thought I was using the wrong size truss rod tool initially (it didn’t come with one).  It was a total ball-ache, practically had to hammer it on there.

Find that many times on a Gibson and yes I've had to 'tap' it gently into place on many occasions
    Truss rods are there to be adjusted.
    they are but I can't recall any new guitar in the last year that I've sold that has required so much adjustment out of the box - It was not a slight tweak it was a major tweak - Surprised it left both Gibson and GG like that - Appreciate the finer detail of any set-up is a matter of taste and playing style, but this is just so wrong
    Odd that it's just this Memphis batch? Maybe it was particularly hot in Memphis that month