Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First 2 Maiden Albums

What's Hot

Comments

• Hate to say told you so but 

told you so 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3012
    edited December 2018
    Hate to say told you so but 

told you so 
    You did say and you were right and my opinion has been revised. I had criminally underrated them. I still love the 80’s Dickinson stuff tho. Live After Death is the shit. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    & while we're at it, the best 2 Sabbath albums by a country mile are the Dio ones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
    edited December 2018
    Bollocks to punky nonsense, Seventh Son is the best metal album, not just the best Maiden album. And A Matter of Life and Death is an absolute masterpiece. 

pmbomb
    said:
    & while we're at it, the best 2 Sabbath albums by a country mile are the Dio ones.
    I dunno, I'd put Headless Cross above Mob Rules, but I agree with the sentiment. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Bollocks to punky nonsense, Seventh Son is the best metal album, not just the best Maiden album. And A Matter of Life and Death is an absolute masterpiece. 

pmbomb
    said:
    I dunno, I'd put Headless Cross above Mob Rules, but I agree with the sentiment. 
    I like Tyr a lot; Cozy on drums and Neil Murray on bass (having finally lost the funky jazz-rocky feel and got properly into playing rock).

Sabbath with Dio were really just like Rainbow, ie. Dio's backing band (which is great!).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    prowla said:

pmbomb
    said:
    I like Tyr a lot; Cozy on drums and Neil Murray on bass (having finally lost the funky jazz-rocky feel and got properly into playing rock).

Sabbath with Dio were really just like Rainbow, ie. Dio's backing band (which is great!).
    Don't forget the third Dio Sabbath album, Dehumanizer, which is not very good at all.  One of my least favourites, apart from the misguided Forbidden.

Anyway, I'm not putting any of them ahead of the first three albums or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
  • Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is fantastic. It's Rick Wakeman's funky keys that elevate it. Fabulous. 

• vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited February 2019
    Just bumped into Mr. Stratton and his partner in Stansted :-O

http://i.imgur.com/rmSrTct.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Are classics - loved playing along to those as a teen!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24165

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2382
    Anyone else been listening to the 'Top 50 Iron Maiden songs' playlist on Spotify? Was compiled by..... some magazine (forget the name) based on public votes.

I'm working my way through from 50 to 1, and something that is very clear is the stuff after Brave New World is incredibly formulaic and rather dull. Soft intro that then picks up? Check. Vocals that emulate the guitar melody? Check. Bass player thinking he's a lead guitarist? Check. Minimum of 8 minutes per song? Check.

I love Maiden, but listening to all the songs like this has really made it obvious just how dull the latest stuff is.
  • A lot of great Maiden chat.

Their first two are up there. It's too soft nowadays. Almost compressed against the punk openness of the first two.

If they remastered them, would they be smoothing things out? (I'm not up on these matters)
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • FarleyUK said:
    Anyone else been listening to the 'Top 50 Iron Maiden songs' playlist on Spotify? Was compiled by..... some magazine (forget the name) based on public votes.

I'm working my way through from 50 to 1, and something that is very clear is the stuff after Brave New World is incredibly formulaic and rather dull. Soft intro that then picks up? Check. Vocals that emulate the guitar melody? Check. Bass player thinking he's a lead guitarist? Check. Minimum of 8 minutes per song? Check.

I love Maiden, but listening to all the songs like this has really made it obvious just how dull the latest stuff is.
    This: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-50-best-iron-maiden-songs-of-all-time
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2382
    FarleyUK said:

This: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-50-best-iron-maiden-songs-of-all-time
    Yep, that's the list.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    oh look ******** ********* ********* ******** is number 1. Who'd have thought?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    Listened to their 1st album yesterday.  The wah pedal was getting a lot of use on it!

Really enjoyed it though, one track in particular reminded me of where Metallica could have ‘got inspiration’ from, for their “Nothing Else Matters” song
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    edited February 2019
    FarleyUK said:

I agree - except I'd say anything after Dance of Death. The production on the album was absolutely fucking terrible, but as far as the song writing goes, it was the last album full of bangers before the last 3 became dreary and formulaic.

I love a long song as much as the next guy, but an album full of 8 minute maiden songs that all sound the same, is hard work to listen to. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    joneve said:
    FarleyUK said:

I agree - except I'd say anything after Dance of Death. The production on the album was absolutely fucking terrible, but as far as the song writing goes, it was the last album full of bangers before the last 3 became dreary and formulaic.

I love a long song as much as the next guy, but an album full of 8 minute maiden songs that all sound the same, is hard work to listen to. 

Agreed 100%.

Regarding the "vocals that emulate the guitar melody" thing, I've always thought that many of the songs sound like Bruce went in the studio with the lyrics on a bit of paper then just read them out loud, making up the tune as he went along.  Starting with Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with the later albums, with the exception of A Matter of Life and Death. That's easily as good a Brave New World for me. Production/mixing has steadily decreased in quality too. I really need to give Dance of Death a good listen I think.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    I agree with the later albums, with the exception of A Matter of Life and Death. That's easily as good a Brave New World for me. Production/mixing has steadily decreased in quality too. I really need to give Dance of Death a good listen I think.
    Some of the lyrics in DoD are cheesy as hell (especially in the title track), but the short bangers like Rainmaker are great. And No More Lies, Paschendale and the like are all great tracks.

I really wanted to like AMoLaD but too many REALLY FUCKING LONG songs. A Different World is 3 minutes of pure perfection though - easily one of my favourite Maiden solos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom