Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss GT-1000

What's Hot

Comments

• Oh - googling around led me to a post that says hitting the 'page right' button twice puts the unit in manual (stompbox) mode...maybe someone with a unit can confirm?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I find one for a decent price then I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick one up. The amp sounds are fantastic, the FX are absolutely stellar, and I'm familiar with the workflow from my ES-8 experience. Sure the Helix is prettier and can do "more" (whatever "more" is) but I'll never use more than 10% of whatever is in these units anyway.

What I want is a small box with decent sounds, at a decent price, that can replace my big board to save my back. I hope there will be some special offers at the Guitar Show.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Samgb said:
    Oddly quiet around these parts about the GT1000...I think everyone already has a Helix so there's not much interest. I liked the feature of being able to designate an effect as a 'stompbox' so it maintains the same settings no matter which patch you use it in. Nobody else has done that as far as I know.
    That's probably the reason. When a couple of dozen of regulars have dropped a grand or two on Helix the market for the high end multi-fx is probably a little thin on here?

Not sure where the idea that it sounded bad or lacked something came from though. Every review i have seen or read says it sounds great and does a lot. The only negative seems to be the manual. Which is a criticism i would level at both the MD-500 and DD-500 as well. I guess Boss cant be arsed translating from Japanese?  
    I think it was Lee from Andertons who said he wasn’t very impressed with the sounds, although I think that was a pre-release/early version.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited February 2019
    cbellanga said:
    Can you use it just for the effects into a valve amp and bypass the amp modelling?
    yep, that's what I've been doing for some time
    How have you found it? I know that you had an FX8 for some time and was wondering how it compared.
    I guess it's ok. It won't have the deep editing thing you'd get from fractal but very decent / straightforward boss fxs. The signal chain is quite different, you have all effects available (ie 4 delays!) And then you have to decide what you need on or off, there's also some clever routing options for helix-inspired parallel chains etc. The FS thread mentioned by @Trude above is mine.. I'm back to the basics now so amp / analog-ish pedals.
  • AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
    @gearaddict Page right twice shows an overview of the unit with the current button assignments. It is trivial to go into the "Control Assign" menu and assign a specific button to an effect so it looks like a pedal board when you go to that patch and page right twice.
  • I considered one for effects only usage, but I didn't have great experiences with the GT-100, so in the end I sacked off the idea.

Bye!

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    edited April 2019
    And firmware V3 is out. Major changes are Manual and Stompbox modes, 11 new amps and a load of bass stuff added. It's faintly surprising to see BOSS keep adding stuff, but I suppose they're being driven by Line 6's approach to the Helix. I've been using my GT-1000 for about 6 weeks now and I'm really loving the feel of their amp modelling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got one of these, really liking it so far. Sure it has it’s foibles but first impressions are that it’s a great sounding unit. 

Will be doing a video comparing the GT, Helix and Kemper in the near future. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Just got one of these, really liking it so far. Sure it has it’s foibles but first impressions are that it’s a great sounding unit. 

Nice!

Wot no Amplifire?
  • Just got one of these, really liking it so far. Sure it has it’s foibles but first impressions are that it’s a great sounding unit. 

Great I'm thinking of getting one as an upgrade to the ME-80. I tried the Helix but it didn't grab me how do you think the two compare
  • NelsonP said:
    Just got one of these, really liking it so far. Sure it has it’s foibles but first impressions are that it’s a great sounding unit. 

Nice!

Wot no Amplifire?
    If I had one I would! Missing a Fractal also.
  • D28boy said:

Great I'm thinking of getting one as an upgrade to the ME-80. I tried the Helix but it didn't grab me how do you think the two compare
    First impressions are I much prefer the GT. Actually think the effects are better also, the boss reverbs and delays are incredible and there's a better variety of drives.

There's no denying the interface is much better on the Helix but I'm editing the GT on the computer at the moment and that's not a problem. Not sure where to start on the unit itself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • D28boy said:

First impressions are I much prefer the GT. Actually think the effects are better also, the boss reverbs and delays are incredible and there's a better variety of drives.

There's no denying the interface is much better on the Helix but I'm editing the GT on the computer at the moment and that's not a problem. Not sure where to start on the unit itself.

That is interesting to hear that the Boss comes out on some points over the Helix. 
  • It really is a great feeling unit to play, and the dynamics are excellent. Jump to 8:20 on this video which is using the "Premium Drive" patch

• It really is a great feeling unit to play, and the dynamics are excellent. Jump to 8:20 on this video which is using the "Premium Drive" patch

That premium drive patch sounds killer 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited October 2019
    After starting this thread in June 2018 I finally got my hands on a GT-1000 on Monday this week. I sold my Fractal AX8 to fund the purchase.

So I've had a few days with the GT-1000. Initially it was very frustrating trying to navigate round the thing having came from the Fractal way of doing things. I'm slowly getting used to it and its starting to make sense. 

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the factory sounds (to be expected) but I was exactly the same when I got my AX8. The first preset (Premium Drive) which sounds great on a lot of the demos and I thought I would like, sounded so so on my setup. So I was a wee bit down heartened and starting to regret the purchase. I did a bit of tweaking and managed to get it sounding better but still not anywhere near to what I had been used to from my AX8 and Helix before that.

So I hit YouTube to look for some inspiration which I found in Leon Todd. He recently posted a video up of some GT-1000 presets he dialed in with his own IR (Bonus!!) I used a lot of his presets on my AX8 and they always translated well on my setup.

I downloaded the presets and the IR. Getting the IR onto the Boss was a bit convoluted (More searching on Youtube needed) but I got there in the end. The presets instantly sounded miles better than what I'd been hearing with the factory presets and any tinkering I had done up to that point. So I started to get some hope back that it could work for me after all.

Since then I've uploaded some familiar IR's that I'm used to, gone back to the drawing board and dialed in some amps with my IR's and this thing is starting to come to life. It actually sounds great. I'm now hearing the sound and getting the feel that people describe. 

The effects are easily on par with the Fractal and in some instances they are better. It's a lot more flexible in terms what you can assign to the foot switches (You can assign up to 16 simultaneous functions to one foot switch!!) and in the routing of the effects chain.

I like the simplicity of it in terms of available parameters on the effects and the amps etc (Fractal had way too many options). All the familiar boss effects are on there and they all sound great as you would expect.

So it's been 3 full days and I've gone from initially feeling disappointed to feeling very happy and excited about what the boss can do.

I think I've got it sounding as good as my old AX8 in 3 days which is no mean feat.

It took me about a month to get to the point where I was happy with the AX8 and even then I was still tinkering with it up until I sold it.

I think with more tinkering on the boss I can get it sounding even better. 
  • @kennedydream1980 ;

If it is possible, I would love to know what the tap tempo performs like on the GT-1000. I'm very curious about whether it introduces weird pitch-shifting squirrel noises whilst tapping in the tempo as you play at the same time. The GT-100 did this, and I'm hoping they fixed it with the 1000.

Bye!

• @kennedydream1980 ;

If it is possible, I would love to know what the tap tempo performs like on the GT-1000. I'm very curious about whether it introduces weird pitch-shifting squirrel noises whilst tapping in the tempo as you play at the same time. The GT-100 did this, and I'm hoping they fixed it with the 1000.
    I’ll try it out later today and let you know.
  • groovy!

Bye!