Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fads..

What's Hot
Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
I've noticed Amps get the amp of the year/month alot then people sell them off fast when they go out of fashion 

Two of these makes does seem to be Victory and Blackstar. I know Laney had the same a few years back with the Ironheart series, while marshall and Orange seem to just remain the big two. 

Does anyone think that these companies that once were the next big thing come back into fashion. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't think Orange have ever been part of any "big 2" - that's Fender and Marshall, and Vox 3rd surely? 

Below that I see Blackstar and I guess Victory as the "first valve amp" category, but not so much beyond that once people know a bit more of what character they want, with Laney and Orange both quite popular but so unassuming noone ever really talks about them (and I love Laney, fwiw)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited February 2019
    The choice, even when I started out in the late 80's, was getting better.  At the bottom end, we were still using cheapo solid-state stuff, a lot of which was not very good but the stuff we aspired to was no longer just Marshall, Orange, Vox or Fender.  Mesa/Boogie made drool-worthy stuff, Clapton had just started killing it live with Soldanos, the rock and metal guys were using VHT and Rivera.

Fast-forward to now, the choice is staggering.  You can make a very respectable noise with a £150 amp and the selection available at the top end is just mind-bending.  All points in between covered too.  I guess it's going to seem like we're more fad-prone but an amp these days has to be very, very good indeed to make an impact - and six months later there'll be something better.

TL;DR - we're spoiled and fickle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'm not sure that it's manufacturers that become fashionable so much as a single product or range of products.
    The likes of Marshall and Fender are so big that they put out new ranges regularly and keep in the customers view with advertising and endorsements. Sometimes those products are average and sometimes very good, but thier brand legacy sees them through a bad patch (for now anyway).
    Over the decades manufacturers have come and gone. Impact, Selmar, HH, Carlsbro, FAL, Randell, Peavey, Crate, Aligator, Kustom, Davoli, Bugera, Yamaha, Roland, Engl, Gibson, LAB, Carvin, Music man and WEM to name a few. Some have endured and have products sought after, others endure because they were mass produced but built to last (Peavey).
    On the other hand some people change thier amp as often as thier underkecks in spite of owning something quite wonderful. How often have we read of people saying they used to own xxx and why did they ever sell it! So after a lot of new product sales there will be a following movement of used examples.
    At different times various manufacturers have been in accendency, back in the day Peavey were on just about every stage in the USA and quite a few over here too.
    I think the ideal is to buy something because you like the sound and can get something from it musically, try not to be swayed by fashion and advertising bollocks. There are good new products becomming available all the time but you may already have something more suitable.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Who cares whether or not they come back into fashion?

If an amp sounds good and is repairable by any competent tech (as most valve amps and many solid states are) then get one you like and don't look back.

Six of my nine amps are made by companies that don't even exist any more, but I care not one jot :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Probably told this story before but I have this memory of going to MX in Birmingham probably 30+ years ago to have a mooch around and there was a chap who was trying to trade in his Orange stack. I don't think I'd seen one before ( certainly not up close) so was quite interested. He was told there was no market for Orange gear anymore and it was all basically worthless and they wouldn't have it in trade. 
    I hope he hung onto it and sold it for a small fortune a few years later.
    I don't know about fads but there are certainly fashions in these things. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The paint and paper people?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    There was an amp that was very “in” about 4 years ago that I haven’t heard of since, I don’t even remember the name now!  Some kind of Marshall in a box thing.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    more true of pedals than amps.....
    Strymon Sunset , Bliss Brothers , KOT . Hudson Broadcast. ..............all same meat different gravy to some degree
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I see more fads in the boutique end generally
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Yep am expecting a ton of Hudsons and Chase Bliss pedals to be dirt cheap on sale in 12 months once they fall out of fashion.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I too see it more with boutique amps.

Toneking is the thing.
    No, Lazy J.
    Simply must have a Louise Electric
    No, this year it’s Milkman.
    But what about Bartel amps.

They all end up on the classifieds in the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    I remember that amp !!! Carol Ann !!!

Whatever happened to that brand? It's gone totally off the radar.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    In fairness I'd bloody love a Tone King
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I tend to be interested in new amps, think about it, then stick to one of the major big sellers, like a nice clean Fender 1x12 combo. 

I do have an Orange Dual Terror and it's a fantastically simple and light bit of kit.

The hype over the Boss Katana was worth it; stupidly cheap and sounds fantastic.

I don't see a lot of people talking about Victory at all. Maybe they are more popular in the USA?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2019
    Cornford - I love my RH30 and see no reason selling it cos is 'no longer a thing'...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Two of these makes does seem to be Victory and Blackstar. I know Laney had the same a few years back with the Ironheart series, while marshall and Orange seem to just remain the big two. 

Does anyone think that these companies that once were the next big thing come back into fashion. 
    Victory and Blackstar appear 'faddish' because nobody actually buys them, they are both given out to young influencers like sweets at halloween. All the ACM students that work at Andertons seem to think that Victory are great ("sick tones bruv, it djents with this Chapman") despite the fact that I've never encountered anyone in the real world actually using one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I've noticed Amps get the amp of the year/month alot then people sell them off fast when they go out of fashion 

Victory and Blackstar appear 'faddish' because nobody actually buys them, they are both given out to young influencers like sweets at halloween. All the ACM students that work at Andertons seem to think that Victory are great ("sick tones bruv, it djents with this Chapman") despite the fact that I've never encountered anyone in the real world actually using one.
    My brother in law has or had a Blackstar 1 watt head thing.  I have a friend who has a Blackstar 5W combo thing, neither of them are into forums or up to date what is fad.

Neither of them have ever heard of Bogner or Lazy J until they seen mine.  But is Bogner a fad? the brand is like 30 years old!
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited February 2019

My brother in law has or had a Blackstar 1 watt head thing.  I have a friend who has a Blackstar 5W combo thing, neither of them are into forums or up to date what is fad.

Neither of them have ever heard of Bogner or Lazy J until they seen mine.  But is Bogner a fad? the brand is like 30 years old!
    I think the Blackstar 1w and 5w options are much more mainstream as they are probably the most useable and accessible valve home/practice amps out there.

I think Bogner did have its fad phase in the mid-2000s at the same kinda time as Diezel (and Mesa Dual Recs) when they were in vogue for American high-gain tones, but expensive and harder to get over here.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Have and use a VX Kraken (though Helix gets more play time, mostly for portability).

Don't use the second channel, but really like gain 1. Boosted with a TS is a nice chunky rock/metal tone.

My first one died within 2 minutes of turning on, but Victory/Andertons replaced it with a few days and I've had no complaints since.

Its a solid little box of rock. I've seen quite a few on stages in the past year, but not as many as I have Peavy/Marshall/Blackstar.

• I've noticed Amps get the amp of the year/month alot then people sell them off fast when they go out of fashion 

LOL...