Edit: M-audio vs Presonus vs Steinberg.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    tekbow said:
    Fretwired said:
    tekbow said:

Yes, i want to record my amp direct with the Torpedo Reload plugged between amp and cab, then use WOS to Cab and Mic  up the dry signal(s).

A vid of the Torpedo Reload in use with the UR44? Can you link me? the German thread i found was having difficulty using the re-amp feature with the UR44 and Torpedo Reload combo

The vid wasn't using a UR44. The guy showed how you hook the thing up to an interface. I don't get the problem from a hardware point of view. The Torpedo Reload goes into input one and the mic'd cab into input two or three depending on what your using with your mic.

Open your DAW, fire up two seperate mono audio channels, route them to the inputs, arm, and record.

The hook up instructions are in the manual, I've familiarise myself with em. I don't get the problem either, it should have worked for the guy whose issues I mentioned, but it didn't. I don't really like buying stuff and sending it back, anytime I've done that with a big purchase, it's been questioned and was a bunch of hassle.

So I'm trying to buy something that's been verified as playing nice with the Reload.

No biggie, as I said, I'm going to put this interface purchase aside for now and revisit it in a week or so.
    The German guy got it working .. reading between the lines he didn't know how to route the various inputs/outputs in Cubase as he'd not used it before. It is odd by virtue of the fact the products been around for a long time.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    tekbow said:
    Cirrus said:
    tekbow said:
    I just realised that, whilst the ID22 is expandable, it literally only has the XLR ins. no separate line ins. 
    It's got 2 line ins, in the form of the two "return" jack sockets on the back - and is one of the few interfaces where you can totally bypass the mic preamps, so there's no unnecessary colouration. The XLR sockets also double as jack inputs, so you can use the mic preamp gain if you need to. Finally, channel 2 also has a DI input.

Cirrus, i thought the return jacks couldn't be used simultaneously with the XLR's. As you say, it bypasses the MIC preamps. So I couldn't have both XLR's occupied with, for example, the Reload's DI and Loadbox  XLR outs run into the XLR's in the back of the ID22, whilst simultaneously having a stereo line level signal run from the amps slave out going into the "Return" jack sockets, could I?

There's a direct monitoring function isn't there? with basically zero latency? So i could send the Dry DI signal from the reload HiZ input into the ID22 and straight out one of the line level outs, back to the Reload re-amp function. That means i can hear my actual amp whilst recording a dry signal for reamping. I think? you can record on and direct monitor the same track right?

I mean, the re-amping thing might not be something i do very often anyway but if i want to do it, i'd like to know its a piece of equipment that plays nice with the Reload. 

It's the capability to have multiple sources running into the ID22 simultaneously that i'd really like to have.

But, you know, recording newb, so my expectations of what these units can do, may not be in line with what these units can actually do.

Correct, it's a 2 channel interface so you can't get round that by plugging into the XLR and return sockets at the same time to have 4 inputs - I was just setting the record straight about it literally having no separate line ins, because within the confines of being a 2-input interface, it's actually got one of the better setups on the market for plugging in line level devices.

And yes, it does have direct monitoring so the round trip for that is the usual 3 milliseconds or so of A/D-D/A conversion. So yeah, you could route a DI input back out to an amp for monitoring.

I can't remember whether the channel sends are normal or half normal, so there's an off chance you could split the signal there and not even need to bother with the direct monitoring, though I'd need to check...

Again, though, low latency performance isn't great, compared to what I've had in the past. That doesn't bother me personally because the form factor - physical volume knob, easily reachable dim, cut, and mono buttons - are handy for mixing, and when mixing I'm using the highest buffer sizes anyway.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    @Cirrus, gotcha WRT to that distinction.

I agree in terms of the form factor and layout, which would be convenient for my needs. I'm also not too concerned about the low latency performance as I don't think it's going to be relevant to how I intend to use it.

Anyways, I slept on it, did some more looking, googled "UR44 reamping" and found quite a few more experienced people than me having issues with routing and various other things. Successfully resolved mind you, but not without in depth fiddling

Then I saw a vid on the routing software with the ID series and thought I'll go with what makes life easy as a newb to interfaces.

Ordered an ID44 today. Has the ins and outs i want. I'll just sell some of my idle gear I haven't used in a while to make up the difference in budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    tekbow said:

I agree in terms of the form factor and layout, which would be convenient for my needs. I'm also not too concerned about the low latency performance as I don't think it's going to be relevant to how I intend to use it.

Anyways, I slept on it, did some more looking, googled "UR44 reamping" and found quite a few more experienced people than me having issues with routing and various other things. Successfully resolved mind you, but not without in depth fiddling

Then I saw a vid on the routing software with the ID series and thought I'll go with what makes life easy as a newb to interfaces.

Ordered an ID44 today. Has the ins and outs i want. I'll just sell some of my idle gear I haven't used in a while to make up the difference in budget.
    I use the ID22 and whilst it isn't at RME levels, I can run BFD3 and several instances of S-gear 2 at 128 buffer size, giving a total round trip of 9.9 ms, it works great for tracking with amp sims and I am using a 2013 i7 laptop with 8gig of ram, so nothing special hardware wise. I think the ID22 and 44 use the same drivers.

The routing is also good; you can send signals out through your 3&4 outputs for re-amping or hardware sends from your DAW, just make sure you don't put the "DAW THRU" option on anything you are monitoring with, it could take your hearing out!
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    IMC1980 said:
    tekbow said:

I use the ID22 and whilst it isn't at RME levels, I can run BFD3 and several instances of S-gear 2 at 128 buffer size, giving a total round trip of 9.9 ms, it works great for tracking with amp sims and I am using a 2013 i7 laptop with 8gig of ram, so nothing special hardware wise. I think the ID22 and 44 use the same drivers.

The routing is also good; you can send signals out through your 3&4 outputs for re-amping or hardware sends from your DAW, just make sure you don't put the "DAW THRU" option on anything you are monitoring with, it could take your hearing out!
    Is the DAW thru option the full volume one you can't turn down?
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    tekbow said:
    IMC1980 said:
    tekbow said:

Is the DAW thru option the full volume one you can't turn down?
    Yeah, that's the one. It is great for re-amping, just make sure you flick it back to your regular mix in the routing matrix if you use the same outputs for monitoring.